Actual quality of graphics VS system requirements?

hoonie79

Hello,

I've been wondering about the relationships between the quality of graphics on games and the games' system requirements. I think there are certain games with very high system requirements that has really cool graphics, but there could be another game that has almost the same level of graphics but requires a lot less system resources. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of games I can play since my laptop gets really hot, really fast. =)

You could try replacing the thermal paste for the CPU and GPU of your laptop and get a cooling pad. Unless there is a bottleneck somewhere GPUs will always run at full capacity so even playing an old game can give you hundreds of fps and a full GPU usage. AA and very high resolution is always considered demanding in processing and vram while AF, texture quality and detail dont really take up much resource.

Different games are designed differently, and some use tricks to look good at lower performance while some are designed badly that end up using too much resources. Some big titles are designed to use a lot more resource to encourage you to buy better hardware.

I get what you mean, I find that a lot of the time this is due more to poor optimazation then anything else. For example Skyrim 100 mods VS WatchDogs/AC4 Black Flag. Skyrim gives me way better graphics at way more FPS... The other 2 games I mentioned are very poorly optimized however :(.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I get what you mean, I find that a lot of the time this is due more to poor optimazation then anything else. For example Skyrim 100 mods VS WatchDogs/AC4 Black Flag. Skyrim gives me way better graphics at way more FPS... The other 2 games I mentioned are very poorly optimized however :(.

That's very true , i play Skyrim on my laptop (nVidia Experience set the graphics to ultra but AA on x4) with ENB and a number of 2k - 4k mods and i get great quality and frame rate. When you play Watch Dogs on 1080p i struggle to get 40fps on medium with no AA definitely the hardware.

• 2 months later...

Keep in mind that sometimes the requirements are in the CPU, not GPU, expecially in games where the are a lot of moving things to keep track of. The GPU might be able to handle the particles or whatever, but if the game has the CPU inputting in a lot of stuff as well that may slow things down.

• 2 weeks later...