Lenovo brand laptop comes with pre-installed backdoors?

hoonie79

I haven't verified this, but a friend of mine who teaches computer science at a college told me that there had been issues with lenovo computers/laptops that come with backdoors/worms. He said that those 'made in china' computers are stealing personal/corporate's sensitive information. I'm a little afraid that my personal information also have been stolen with my Y510P. =( Any ideas?

If you're paranoid about something like this, then simply format the disk and make a fresh install of the OS.

Of course you'll still have the Intel backdoor called ME firmware on Intel systems :P

If you're paranoid about something like this, then simply format the disk and make a fresh install of the OS.

Of course you'll still have the Intel backdoor called ME firmware on Intel systems :P

Wait, what does intel management engine do?

That's what I'm actually trying to do. I have a usb thumb drive that has windows7 image but I wasn't able to boot up from the thumb drive. I believe I could download the modified bios when I'm able to do so, and try that. =)

That's what I'm actually trying to do. I have a usb thumb drive that has windows7 image but I wasn't able to boot up from the thumb drive. I believe I could download the modified bios when I'm able to do so, and try that. =)

You have to change BIOS mode to legacy instead of UEFI, has nothing to do with unlocked BIOS. Or you could make the USB UEFI-bootable (format in FAT32) and put the unpacked contents of the W7 ISO on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I had to register to reply here.

its not just Lenovo, Lenovo is a great brand

i feel like every computer that you buy that has pre installed OS also comes with pre installed backdoors

My stepdad bought a laptop, and his credit card information was constantly being stolen no matter how many times he switched credit cards. Now, after I reinstalled his windows to a fresh ultimate 7, no fraud yet, it's been 5 months.

Now I became a victim of that, I bought an Asus desktop with preinstalled windows 8, only had it for less than a month, mom received a text today from her bank if she spent $400 at a game arcade.

i am now more than convinced that eery computer that comes with preinstalled windows has a 90% chance of having a backdoor key logger of some sort.

i don't know what to do now, reinstalling windows I don't have time for that right now, I already have a lot of software I payed for that isn't transferable to a new system

everyone of you who is buying a computer with pre installed windows, try to extract the windows activation number, reinstall fresh torrented windows and use the activation number to re activate it, that way you'll have a clean system.

in my case, well I'm screwed, I'll probably have to pay a private security firm to remove the backdoor because kaspersky internet security doesn't do it

I actually own a Lenovo Z500 and I made myself the same questions before buying - but then, as everyone said, aren't (almost) all computers manifactured in China? I think that just Dell assembles something in Ireland and Apple in California.

Anyway, just follow the golden rule of buying a new laptop: as soon as you can, FORMAT IT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS. This way, you'll remove crapware, software backdoors, faulty drivers (yes, drivers provided by the laptop manifacturer are often written by drunk monkeys) and eventually spywares.

If there is a hardware backdoor, nevermind. Since almost all the laptops have at least a component from china, you can never be sure. Or, be like Stallman and use a completely open PC.