US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

Hi @ All,

i'm a little bit very curious, and I'd like to try something, maybe someone can help me.

I'm looking for the PCB layout and / or a Schematic of the whole circuit of the Akitio.

Thanks forward

Greets

Just to be clear, aside from cost would there be anything wrong with using (Rockminer R BOX Power Cable 2 PK 12V PCI E TO 3X 5 5mm X 2 5mm DC Barrel Plugs | eBay) rather than the proposed molex to barrel adaptors? Although I have constructed PCs before, I am still a bit of a noob and not really comfortable making my own setup. Alternatively, nando suggested a couple of months ago that a generic 120w such as (AC Converter Adapter DC 12V 10A 120W Power Supply Charger DC 5 5mm FOR LED CCTV | eBay) could replace the standard, and thus provide the necessary 75w. If I don't mind having two power leads (including the SFX modular PSU I plan on buying), would there be anything wrong with using that instead? Many thanks in advance!

@BobFrancis:

The cable you linked is "ok". The thing is that they only use one wire for 12V and ground each barrel plug. That could put a high load to that cable and the 2 plugs used on the 6-Pin side. I would at least advice to to cut of the other two barrel plugs and connect everything to that remaining barrel plug.

After a 2nd look I think that is very easily possible since they just use screw terminals on the barrel plug. So you could unscrew 2 plugs, and join all 12V into one screw terminal and the same with all grounds.

Since you might realise how easy that wires are they use, you can DIY very easy. Just get the same barrel plug with screw terminals and a 6-Pin extension or 6-pin y-cable.

Using two PSUs at the same time can result in ground loops damaging your setup! I don't see the point since you can see from the first section of my answer that it is no problema t all to make that barrel plug.

@BobFrancis:

Since you might realise how easy that wires are they use, you can DIY very easy. Just get the same barrel plug with screw terminals and a 6-Pin extension or 6-pin y-cable.

Using two PSUs at the same time can result in ground loops damaging your setup! I don't see the point since you can see from the first section of my answer that it is no problema t all to make that barrel plug.

Thanks so much for your reply! I understand the concept of using the barrel plug with screw terminal, would you mind linking me exactly what the 6-pin extension cable should look like? I assume I would have to cut that and feed the cable into the barrel plug.

One final question. I travel quite often, so portability is a big bonus for me in this case vs power of the card. I have read through this thread but still can't work it out, would using the 120w DC adapter with the Akitio provide enough power for a 750ti, thus negating the need for an additional ATX/SFX PSU?

@BobFrancis:

If you want to use a 6-Pin: https://www.google.de/search?q=6-pin+pcie+extension

If you want to use Molex plugs (best with 2xMolex): https://www.google.de/search?q=molex+to+6+pin

A 750Ti without a 6-Pin PCIe power plugs (like the EVGA GTX750Ti single fan) a single 120W external PSU with barrel plug should be just fine.

@BobFrancis:

A 750Ti without a 6-Pin PCIe power plugs (like the EVGA GTX750Ti single fan) a single 120W external PSU with barrel plug should be just fine.

Great, I think that will fit my needs quite well, since I don't think I'm proficient enough to do the DA-2 setup.

Will purchase the following today:

EVGA 750TI single fan

Akitio

120W Adapter

When the parts arrive in a couple of week I will report back with the results!

I used an AKiTiO with my 13" 2014 rMBP and a GTX760. Worked like a charm. Not sure about the 2015 model but they're almost identical so I imagine it would work.

Don't imagine ;) There are reported problems with the 13" 2015 model. Unfortunately, no one really figured it out and they're not that much present yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am sorry for my English, help to solve just such a problem:

I have a MacBook Pro 13 (2014), sonnet echo express and behold thunderbolt 1 gigabyte gtx 660. installed windows 8.1 efi, all powered from a single power supply 550w, but the system freezes periodically (mouse slows down and then windows hangs). the video card is connected directly. whether it is possible to increase the 25w to echo express se 1, here I attach a photo card: 9131845_m.jpg 9131848_m.jpg 9131850_m.jpg 9131851_m.jpg , can anyone tell me some way, once again I apologize for my English, thanks in advance.

Hello, I am sorry for my English, help to solve just such a problem:

I have a MacBook Pro 13 (2014), sonnet echo express and behold thunderbolt 1 gigabyte gtx 660. installed windows 8.1 efi, all powered from a single power supply 550w, but the system freezes periodically (mouse slows down and then windows hangs). the video card is connected directly. whether it is possible to increase the 25w to echo express se 1, here I attach a photo card:

Try using a good quality powered riser, but isolate the first 6 pins of the riser so that there is no backpowering of your TB board. Plug in your DC jack to power the TB board, with the whole lot being run by your ATX PSU.

You can draw upon the ideas presented at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-98.html#post122901 .

Try using a good quality powered riser, but isolate the first 6 pins of the riser so that there is no backpowering of your TB board. Plug in your DC jack to power the TB board, with the whole lot being run by your ATX PSU.

You can draw upon the ideas presented at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-98.html#post122901 .

thanks for the help, I taped the first tape 6. Stuck is not there, but my system is not often before the crash. I still have a few problems: 1) if you use the gtx 660, the integrated graphics intel, always off (code 45) and does not work laptop monitor. I have a friend took gtx 780 and it half the time there are 2 video (2 monitors also work), whether it is possible to try to turn the laptop monitor in the gtx 660?

2) If the laptop is to run echo express se, the Wi fi card is found at No. 2 (in the devices at the end is # 2) if no echo express se, the number 1, as it should be?

p.s. Messaging is becoming less and less in this thread :(

No, because it is too wide! Take a look. 1st card is the ASUS and the 2nd is the Galaxy/KFA2 card:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15377[/ATTACH]

Oh man! So the GTX 960 Mini is indeed the best graphics card to naturally fit into this casing without modifications?

Also is there a reason why the hardware guide links the 2GB GTX for this casing instead of the 4GB? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3962-KR/dp/B00VX1MJQ8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435847829&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx+960+4gb

Oh man! So the GTX 960 Mini is indeed the best graphics card to naturally fit into this casing without modifications?

Best cards to fit are:

- EVGA GTX 960 (the one fan version)

- Galaxy / KFA2 GTX 970 Gamer OC

also short Zotac cards can fit without the fan shroud.

Has anyone used the Asus GeForce GTX 970 DirectCU Mini in the Akitio Thunder? Amazon.com: ASUS Graphics Cards GTX970-DCMOC-4GD5: Computers & Accessories

It can fit the AKiTiO chassis without bending it, but the card itself is too tall to allow the AKiTiO outer cover to fit. Here you can see how my previous Asus GTX670 mini, of same dimension as the GTX970 mini, fits into the chassis.

Best card to get to fit is the dual-fan KFA2/GALAX ITX GTX970. It can fit the chassis AND with low profile PCIe connectors allows the AKiTiO outer cover to fit. See some example implementations using a GALAX GTX970 at:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/10087-2014-13-mbp-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-3-%5Bba10s118%5D.html#post134501

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9074-2014-13-mbp-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-tb-display-win8-1-%5Bbenchallenger.html#post123518

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8882-2014-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-handle-win8-1-%5Bphantron.html#post121260

Why the 2GB and not the 4GB for the 960? They both have one fan and seem to be the same dimensions

Sure, 4GB also will fit! The links have been created automatically, sorry for the confusion. As long as the card has the same dimensions, it will fit! :D

Sure, 4GB also will fit! The links have been created automatically, sorry for the confusion. As long as the card has the same dimensions, it will fit! :D

Thank you so much! This is a lot of fun but when you are throwing around a $500 on something to build you can't ask enough questions! Do you know if there is any YouTube videos on using the DA-2 power cable with extensions to power the akitio? I have worked with installing graphic cards before at work and know that if I mess up once I likely have a bad graphics card! It should be very straight forward but might as well spend 5 minutes watchign something.

You still have to fiddle the 2 x 6 pin PCIe plugs out of the Akitio case. You can drill a hole into the back of the case to get them out of there. In case of the Galax GTX 970 OC you can remove the pins of the plugs, fiddle the cables through the upper airflow slot and then you attach the pins to the plug again. That's what I did. I can now close the case but without other holes on the side/top the card gets way too hot. So you need to modify the case anyway if you want to use it closed and you might drill a hole for the cables then anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Has anyone tried the Akitio with stock Ac adapter and a low power gpu, like Maxwell Gt 720?

Most if not all implementations are using high end graphics cards because they either need it for GPGPU applications or gaming.

The card you wrote has a TDP of 19W. The Akitio AC adapter delivers 60W so this should be fine. If you keep below the 60W or 50W(10W are needed by the Thunderbolt part) it should be good to go.

You might switch to any other AC adapter with 2.5mm/5.5mm around. There are some with 90W or 120W, just take a look.