US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

I'm 99% sure that the dimensions for the KFA2 GTX960 Oc are wrong! It looks like they are using the same PCB as the onw from the GTX970 version.

Take a look at this review and the pcitures of the PCB:

https://www.review-center.de/grafikkarten/549-im-test-kfa2-gtx-960-gamer-oc-mini-black.html?showall=&start=2

and

http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/grafikkarten/1203-test-kfa2-gtx960-gamer-oc-mini-black?showall=&start=1

Edited by Dschijn

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, guys! My name is Serge and i need your help.  First of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

My main problem is that (windows 10/mac os x) don't recognize any device in akitio pcie slot.  

My config is :

harware

- Mac mini 2012 

- Akitio thunder2 

- Cooler master gold 650w ATX PSU

- nVidia gt740 silence

- TP-LINK TG-3468 (pcie network card) - buy it to test akitio with default akitio psu

- barrel-fix to power thunder2 from 2 molex

software

Windows 10

Mac os x - el capitan

I read all thread, but don't find a answer.

Akitio thunderbolt device success recognized in mac os x in thunderbolt section,

Снимок экрана 2016-01-30 в 23.53.47.png

but i don't try to setup devices on this os, because i don't know is it work correctly i bought it used, (maybe some hardware issues, and i know how hard to select required kext for device) and i setup windows 10 to test akitio with basic devices (gt740 - work without additional power, and tp-link network card). 

I use instructions to wait 1.5 minutes in boot selection mode, and after that turn on egpu, try multiple cables, but every time i don't find any pcie device in "device manager" in Windows. Only "thunderbolt" and many "pci-to-pci bridge" - it indicate that akitio thunder2 part is working.

devices_3.PNG

Green and blue leds are stable, no blinking, led on network card working, but it does not show on device manager. 

12660263_1026468410758343_287563668_n.th

Please, guys help me  find solution. 

2016-01-30.jpg

Edited by Pangievich
additions

14 hours ago, Pangievich said:

12660263_1026468410758343_287563668_n.th

That white cable is a mini-DisplayPort cable and not a Thunderbolt cable. The black cable is a Thunderbolt cable but it should be put in the first Thunderbolt port where the white cable is put in if you ask me. First port = connection to a device(=Mac Mini in your case), second port = daisy chain.

5 minutes ago, Morv said:

That white cable is a mini-DisplayPort cable and not a Thunderbolt cable. The black cable is a Thunderbolt cable but it should be put in the first Thunderbolt port where the white cable is put in if you ask me. First port = connection to a device(=Mac Mini in your case), second port = daisy chain.

Hello, Morv! 

Thanks for you reply, i know it, but that connection must work, all ports in akitio are fully functionable, and it work in my case

1. White - display port to my Display 

2. TB cable - to mac mini

In that case my display working, akitio is recognized, but device in akitio - NO, led on network card is blinking, but it don't wokring . It's only test case, it confirm that akitio pcb with dsl5520 working, and problem in pcie part i think 

3 hours ago, Pangievich said:

Hello, Morv! 

Thanks for you reply, i know it, but that connection must work, all ports in akitio are fully functionable, and it work in my case

1. White - display port to my Display 

2. TB cable - to mac mini

In that case my display working, akitio is recognized, but device in akitio - NO, led on network card is blinking, but it don't wokring . It's only test case, it confirm that akitio pcb with dsl5520 working, and problem in pcie part i think 

Can you just switch those 2 cables please? Put the mini-DisplayPort in the second lower port and the Thunderbolt cable in the first upper port. Test again and report please.

On 21 January 2016 at 3:07 AM, iddinmx said:

Are you able to slide the outer cover and close completely or you are not able to close like in the post below :-

yes i'am able to close the cover, but not with the pcie power connector. 

I plan to mod a power connecter so i can close it.... but thats not done yet.

P.S. I just realised now where this post was moved to.

2 hours ago, Morv said:

Can you just switch those 2 cables please? Put the mini-DisplayPort in the second lower port and the Thunderbolt cable in the first upper port. Test again and report please.

Sure! Morv, first of all i tried to setup akitio with a single thunderbolt cable in the first port (upper) , and in this case my display was connected with a HDMI cable to mac mini. But nothing, any pci device besides "thunderbolt" and some "pci-to-pci bridge". 

Hi Guys,

I´ve a short question regarding the electricity part of my new egpu setup, which way to power the akitio thunderbolt 2 is better?

Barrelplug or PCIE Extender with molex plug?

Currently I´m using the PCIE-Extender Setup with one molex plug to my powersupply, is it better to power the system with the old dell network and the graficscard with the normal psu? Or could there be a problem as I´m using 2 different powersources?

I´m not really familiar with electrical problems and haven´t soldered cables so far^^ basically I´m searching for the easiest solution to power a gtx 980 ti.

So which solution is better and why?

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards

Daniel

@Verizon I was jsut typing a loooong answer but lost everything because your post got moved.

Short version:

- Use at least 2xMolex plugs

- try not to use riser cables at all or jut get unpowered but high quality risers (Li-Heat x16 pcie riser or from moddiy.com like this)

- barrel plug is better than powered riser (can be done with soldering or barrel plugs with screw terminal without soldering)

So I got my box tested, and confirmed working using the Wife's computer.  Unfortunately I cant use it since im not as cool as you guys with Macbooks and only have my TB3 enabled XPS 13.  I was hoping to have my adapter by now, but now im feeling like I want to just wait for TB3 board to be released.  Initially I posted this on here with bigger case I modified but instead decided to make this cleaner, and more plug and play for easier carrying in bag.

Want to make back just a few bucks and put it towards whatever the price is going to be for a Razer Core, or new akitio enclosure with TB3.

$325+shipping/insurance priority mail(Akitio TB2/PowerSupply)

Plugged it in last night to confirm that it detects the Box, and Video card post automate script and all looks good.  There are only 2 connections coming out of the box: Thunderbolt 2 Cable, and 8 Pin connector to the PSU.  The 8Pin connector and the 2 wires going to the akitio board are Epoxied in for protection against shorts as well as strength.  This is basically plug in play, all you need to do is the software portion, no need to worry about wiring anything :)

GTX 970 is NOT included in the price and was only used for testing.

IMG_4075.JPG

IMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4036.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4042.JPG

33 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

@Verizon I was jsut typing a loooong answer but lost everything because your post got moved.

Short version:

- Use at least 2xMolex plugs

- try not to use riser cables at all or jut get unpowered but high quality risers (Li-Heat x16 pcie riser or from moddiy.com like this)

- barrel plug is better than powered riser (can be done with soldering or barrel plugs with screw terminal without soldering)

Thanks Dschijn, so the best solution is to use 2 molex plugs from my psu and solder or screw the cables to a barrel plug which goes into the akito powerconnector right?

Best would be soldering. 2nd best is the barrel plug with screw terminals. Combine that with a 2xMolex -> 6-Pin PCIe adapter (because they are common and you don't want to damage cables on your PSU, that is why you use an adapter), cut off the 6-Pin plug and use the remaining Molex plugs with their cables.

Edited by Dschijn

24 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Best would be soldering. 2nd best is the barrel plug with screw terminals. Combine that with a 2xMolex -> 6-Pin PCIe adapter (because they are common and you don't want to damage cables on your PSU, that is why you use an adapter), cut off the 6-Pin plug and use the remaining Molex plugs with their cables.

Thank you so much, I will either find someone who solders the cables for me or use the screw terminals :-)

Hello guys! I need a little info from open box Akitio users! 

Can you tell me, how hot is your thunderbolt chip (Intel 5520) on little pcb,  he is bigger black squad. I think yesterday i find the problem - my thunderbolt really hot, and i can't handle finger on it more than 2-3 seconds. 

Today i take a IR thermometer and that is:

T4Y0S-IqX5E.jpg

Every 3 minutes value gain, but akitio recognized in thunderbolt section...

YyG9yPf7-iI.jpg

Please, guys, touch it and tell me how hot your TB controller. Thanks

Edited by Pangievich
text edit

@davidexD Please more details on your system!

Are all power plugs connected to the GPU?

What about the barrel plug, you did the barrel mod to molex?

PSU is switched "on" on the back and paperclip trick is done?

The AKiTiO is connected via TB to the Mac?

• 2 weeks later...