US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

On 29/12/2015 at 8:18 PM, anon said:

Hi,

I've got an AKiTiO Thunder2 that I've been using for my eGPU in a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15", happily and very successfully.  It looks like I probably won't need it for much longer (replacing my kit with dedicated PC).

I'm UK based and wondering if anyone here would be interested in purchasing it (preferably also UK based)?  I'd probably include the barrel connector and cabling I used to make it work as an eGPU along with it (not the gfx card!!).  I had it shipped from the US originally, as it seems to be almost impossible to source one of these directly in the UK.

My setup currently is:

Macbook Pro 15" with dedicated GPU (GT 750M)/16GB RAM, 2.8Ghz i7

Asus Geforce GTX 980 Strix (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-980-directcu-ii-oc-strix-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-354-as.html)

Akitio Thunder2 enclosure.

ATX Power Supply.

I use the graphics card outside of the Akitio shell, it just stands on my desk - never got around to a proper solution (though I bought a CoolerMaster Elite with the intention of housing it).  The enclosure is only a few months old.  I have the original box and packaging - the product is essentially in perfect condition - I placed it on my desk on day one and haven't had to touch it since.

I boot in to Windows (8 and 10) to play games with the eGPU. Can't say I've noticed any game I've played not working with the eGPU.  The only point of friction I have is booting the Macbook to begin with - it can sometimes take up to 3 attempts before it loads.  So when I power on, sometimes I get a black screen and nothing happens, and I have to restart - the whole process takes only a few seconds on each attempt.  I never tried to diagnose the problem because it just didn't bother me enough.  It usually works on the first attempt - especially if you plug in the thunderbolt cable when the Macbook reaches the screen where you choose OSX or Windows (holding down alt).  Restarting the machine doesn't seem to cause any problems (e.g. if I'm in Windows with it all working, and reboot, it continues to work without hassle).

A splattering of some of the games I've played with this setup include:

GTA V

Unreal Tournament (UE4 Beta)

Bioshock Infinite

Crysis 3

Borderlands 2

Skyrim

Left 4 Dead

Portal 2

Various other Source engine games

Killing Floor 2

Let me know if more information is wanted, or anyone is interested...

Thanks,

Anon.

please drop me an email to 1911genesin@no_emails_allowed

Sry for the spam guys, It is not possible to send him direct messages

14 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@Quinalha

1. Yes

2. Using two Molex plugs is (imho) safer because you spread the load across this two plugs. Worst case the system might use up to 90W on that barrel plug and one molex plug brings a safty risk. Every graphics card has nowadays an adapter from 2xmolex -> 1x6-pin PCIe which is rated for loads of up to 75W.

You should also notice, that the Gigabyte card is too wide for the AKiTiO to be closed.

Thanks Dschijn.

The problem to close the akitio is the GPU cooler or 8 pin connector?

I can use without closing the akitio?

6 minutes ago, Quinalha said:

Thanks Dschijn.

The problem to close the akitio is the GPU cooler or 8 pin connector?

I can use without closing the akitio?

Of course you can run the AKiTiO openly…

Please read my basic guide, since I made an example here why even short cards might not fit into the AKiTiO (the PCB is just too wide): https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7832-the-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-for-macs/

20 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Of course you can run the AKiTiO openly…

Please read my basic guide, since I made an example here why even short cards might not fit into the AKiTiO (the PCB is just too wide): https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7832-the-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-for-macs/

Thanks again.

I will read carefully.

Hi, so I recently got a 13' Macbook Air 2014 with thunderbolt 1 and looking into getting a chassis. I plan to use the AKiTiO TB2 case with a nVidia Quadro k1200 SFF gpu and am wondering if I need to do anything to it or if the case has enough power by itself without any modding. The card is rated at max 45w and I plan on carrying this in my backpack to bring to class so the cleaner the solution, the better. 

Link to card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133587

Thanks!

The stock akitio power supply does 5 amps. at 12 volts max output. 5 X 12 = 60 so 60 watts at max. I would say good to go. But...the dell DA-2 is really cheap used. Just get that. I paid 16$ through ebay. You cant beat it. That's if the stock akitio gives you problems. (12 X 18 = 216 watts for the da-2 dell psu) Share your results when you get it running interesting card to pick. Is it for games or work.

7 minutes ago, Kr4nG said:

The stock akitio power supply does 5 amps. at 12 volts max output. 5 X 12 = 60 so 60 watts at max. I would say good to go. But...the dell DA-2 is really cheap used. Just get that. I paid 16$ through ebay. You cant beat it. That's if the stock akitio gives you problems. (12 X 18 = 216 watts for the da-2 dell psu) Share your results when you get it running interesting card to pick. Is it for games or work.

Alright awesome, I'll pick that up then. So long that I don't need to do any mods to the case itself and can keep everything in the box :) Using this as my design studio laptop, so for solidworks and adobe apps. Got the macbook for $450 (company I work near was liquidating) so should give me a pretty powerful little machine for less than $1000 :)

@EpicBlob Careful! The AKiTiO itself can use also a big amount of power for itself 10-20W and a lot of GPUs exceed their power consumtion for micro seconds. Imho 60W is not going to work with the GPU under load. With a 120W PSU it should work for sure.

1 minute ago, Dschijn said:

@EpicBlob Careful! The AKiTiO itself can use also a big amount of power for itself 10-20W and a lot of GPUs exceed their power consumtion for micro seconds. Imho 60W is not going to work with the GPU under load. With a 120W PSU it should work for sure.

Ok I'll go with that. Will the 120w brick work as is or will I have to do any wire cutting?

Hi,

Can I use MSI GTX 980TI GAMING 6G for Akitio Thunder2?

I already bend T2's enclosure.

However, MSI's Gaming 6G has a backplate, which might causes an interruption with T2's Thunderbolt PCB.

Can I fit in a graphic card with a backplate?

Thanks

This is a new and unused enclosure i have been putting togther while i wait for the TB3 to TB2 adapter to be released.  However in the time i have been waiting I have decided i want to go with a Sonnet III D or maybe even just the Echo Express II.  I need the PCI interfaces, and although im not sure I am hoping that being that my XPS has a bunch of other Bios settings in regards to Thunderbolt that I wont have many issues with the Riser board in these enclosures.

The parts used are all new, and I do have the boxes but would like to ship in the case box which is protected.

Parts:

Thunderbolt: Akitio Thunder 2 board

Case: Silverstone SG05 Lite

PSU: Silverstone SFX 300W

USB Hub: J5 Create Slim Hub

Have done most of the work, and the slot fits my Gigabyte GXT 970, but I know it will fit an Asus 970 itx, and it will fit some slightly longer cards as well.  I can get exact max length of card if needed.  The max length of SG05 is: 10", and can fit a longer card with some cutting at the front since the cover takes up about 1" so around 11" card max with some more modding.  Take into consideration that I have retro the Akitio frame in for strength, and the mount for the card takes up about 1/4" to 3/8 of an inch from the total length.

The empty space was meant to be used for the Hard drives which i was going to Raid 1, wifi adapter, and water cooling for the GPU i was going to setup inside.

Looking to get : $ 375 + Shipping(insured)

Please let me know if this is not the right place to put this ad, as i could not find a classifieds section.

Thank you,

Rich.

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_3830.JPG

IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

If no one wants the case, then I guess I will continue as planned, and wait for TB3 to release a dock to upgrade my board.  Akitio state that they will NOT release an upgrade board, and instead an upgrade will only be avail by purchasing the New Thunder 3 enclosure which of course would not disclose release time frame lol.

thanks @Dschijn and others for the feedback

The Egpu is now setup and is working great, performance is better than i expected and with it open has no heating issues.

If I move the wires around while connected it has caused a crash, I think the  barrel connector might be a bit a bit loose or maybe its the paper clip slightly moving, but not a problem really as it now sits static.

I might incorporate a switch for convenience to put the power supply into standby mode, just been pulling out the cord on the power brick at night.

IMG_0846.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

@davidexD Please read my basic guide: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7947-the-basic-egpu-hardware-guide-for-macs/

Yes, you can use the paper clip trick, but please have ANYTHING attached that will use the power. Don't turn on the PSU without any "consumer".

On 1/18/2016 at 5:24 AM, LeoTP said:

hey martinm0, 

I had the same problem, after the Update to OSX 10.11.2 and Nvidia Web driver 346.03.04f02  (I had to rerun the automate-egpu script) my 4k screen is now full supported. (In Display Menu and the OSX system settings)

My Setup is:

KFA2 GTX-960

Akitio Thunder2

Dell DA-2 PSU

MacBookPro Mid 2014

Acer CB280HK

Sorry this will is kinda off topic.

Would like to know whether does the KFA2 GTX 960 OC able ur akitio thunder2 to close it enclosure fully?

Thanks!

hey iddinmx,

this card KFA² GeForce GTX 960 Gamer OC Mini Black, 4GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort (96NQH8DHD8Z4)

does fit into the Akitio Thunder with the Akitio fan. There are about 2mm left. But I exchanged the fan because its to noisy.

7 hours ago, LeoTP said:

hey iddinmx,

this card KFA² GeForce GTX 960 Gamer OC Mini Black, 4GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort (96NQH8DHD8Z4)

does fit into the Akitio Thunder with the Akitio fan. There are about 2mm left. But I exchanged the fan because its to noisy.

Are you able to slide the outer cover and close completely or you are not able to close like in the post below :-

On 5/7/2015 at 11:37 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

If you are referring to the Gigabyte mini ITX GTX970, yes, it fits into the chassis however it's too tall to allow the cover to slider over.

It's W=43, L=183, H=129 mm(include bracket)

Here's the slightly smaller ASUS mini ITX GTX970 (W=41, L=171, H=122mm) which again fits the chassis, but is too tall to allow the outer cover to slider over it.

Card needs to be the standard height (4.376" - 111.15mm) to allow the AKiTiO cover to fit. The other twin-fan GTX970 cards by Galax, Zotac, ELSA, Leadertek, Inno3D listed on http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html would allow this clearance but note their width and whether the fan shroud would need to be removed to fit the chassis.B2M0ClU.jpg

Since it has been highlighted in the post that the height of the GPU must be below 111.15mm to fit in completely inside the akitio including sliding over the outer cover.

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions for KFA2 GTX 960 OC
Length 193 mm
Height 124.3 mm
Width 41.5 mm

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions for KFA2 GTX 970 OC
Length 79 mm1
Height 111.2 mm
Width 38.6 mm

I am sure that both GPU will fit inside the Akitio Thunder2 without removing the front Akitio fan. But my concern is does the KFA2 GTX 960 OC fit inside the akitio with outer cover slide over the akitio?

Thanks in advance and sorry TO for off-topic replies! :D

Edited by iddinmx
Picture doesnt show up

37 minutes ago, iddinmx said:

Are you able to slide the outer cover and close completely or you are not able to close like in the post below :-

Since it has been highlighted in the post that the height of the GPU must be below 111.15mm to fit in completely inside the akitio including sliding over the outer cover.

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions for KFA2 GTX 960 OC
Length 193 mm
Height 124.3 mm
Width 41.5 mm

Standard Graphics Card Dimensions for KFA2 GTX 970 OC
Length 79 mm1
Height 111.2 mm
Width 38.6 mm

I am sure that both GPU will fit inside the Akitio Thunder2 without removing the front Akitio fan. But my concern is does the KFA2 GTX 960 OC fit inside the akitio with outer cover slide over the akitio?

Thanks in advance and sorry TO for off-topic replies! :D

KFA2 GTX960 OC is too tall for the AKiTIO enclosure to close over it.  Look for a card under 112mm tall. Otherwise can use the KFA2 GTX960 OC  but with the AKiTiO outer shell removed.