US$189 AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box (16Gbps-TB2)

5 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

That 6+2 sounds much better ;)

I got the 6+2 to fit but the problem is its on the same wire that has my power for the Akitio and the cable isn't long enough for both to be plugged in...its just one or the other. Is there some kind of extension I can order for the DC so it will reach the back of the Akitio?

You make my heart bleed. Why did you rape the PCIe wires and used them for the barrel plug? :/

The plug currently plugged into the GPU might not work anymore.

You should have made the flat 4-Pin Molex to power the barrel plug and just use the 8-Pin PCIe plugs like they are intended for.

Could you make a picture with the whole PSU and all its cables left? Also the adapters.

10 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

You make my heart bleed. Why did you rape the PCIe wires and used them for the barrel plug? :/

The plug currently plugged into the GPU might not work anymore.

You should have made the flat 4-Pin Molex to power the barrel plug and just use the 8-Pin PCIe plugs like they are intended for.

Could you make a picture with the whole PSU and all its cables left? Also the adapters.

Yeah I told you I'm new to this, I wasn't sure what wire to cut, I did't do the cutting, I brought it to an electrician dude and he told me those would be easy to cut and I told him to go for it. Should I just order another PSU and tell him to cut the correct wires? Or is this still salvageable...?

IMG_2309.JPG

Well that is up to you… Fact is, there is sth. wrong in your setup. Hard to tell what.

You would need a 8-Pin PCIe plug for the GPU with all pins at use and the barrel plug. The easiest way would have been what we alwas preach: Get a extension or splitter cable to use for cutting. Cutting wires directly on the PSU is not good. Also the position where the cuts are, are hard to fix it again…

Hi,

I've got an AKiTiO Thunder2 that I've been using for my eGPU in a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15", happily and very successfully.  It looks like I probably won't need it for much longer (replacing my kit with dedicated PC).

I'm UK based and wondering if anyone here would be interested in purchasing it (preferably also UK based)?  I'd probably include the barrel connector and cabling I used to make it work as an eGPU along with it (not the gfx card!!).  I had it shipped from the US originally, as it seems to be almost impossible to source one of these directly in the UK.

My setup currently is:

Macbook Pro 15" with dedicated GPU (GT 750M)/16GB RAM, 2.8Ghz i7

Asus Geforce GTX 980 Strix (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-geforce-gtx-980-directcu-ii-oc-strix-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-354-as.html)

Akitio Thunder2 enclosure.

ATX Power Supply.

I use the graphics card outside of the Akitio shell, it just stands on my desk - never got around to a proper solution (though I bought a CoolerMaster Elite with the intention of housing it).  The enclosure is only a few months old.  I have the original box and packaging - the product is essentially in perfect condition - I placed it on my desk on day one and haven't had to touch it since.

I boot in to Windows (8 and 10) to play games with the eGPU. Can't say I've noticed any game I've played not working with the eGPU.  The only point of friction I have is booting the Macbook to begin with - it can sometimes take up to 3 attempts before it loads.  So when I power on, sometimes I get a black screen and nothing happens, and I have to restart - the whole process takes only a few seconds on each attempt.  I never tried to diagnose the problem because it just didn't bother me enough.  It usually works on the first attempt - especially if you plug in the thunderbolt cable when the Macbook reaches the screen where you choose OSX or Windows (holding down alt).  Restarting the machine doesn't seem to cause any problems (e.g. if I'm in Windows with it all working, and reboot, it continues to work without hassle).

A splattering of some of the games I've played with this setup include:

GTA V

Unreal Tournament (UE4 Beta)

Bioshock Infinite

Crysis 3

Borderlands 2

Skyrim

Left 4 Dead

Portal 2

Various other Source engine games

Killing Floor 2

Let me know if more information is wanted, or anyone is interested...

Thanks,

Anon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everyone, I am in the event of extending my Akitio Chassis but I need your help. Does anyone have the shell of their chassis that they dont need or will never use. Some people like to take the boards out and just make their own case. But I would like to extend my case about 5-7 inches because I will be putting in the gtx 970 msi card in. I am willing to send paypal $ for your troubles. Let me know what you have.

Thanks

IMG_0987.JPG

I have completed the extension of the inner shell. Im just waiting on paint to dry. I didnt feel like making it too pretty by doing body work but this is just cut, weld, grind, and hammer.

The first image is an old psu that i wanted to use. But the metal was to thin so i used it as a template first. Than i cut out another piece from an old dell case. The Inner shell is now 14 inches long and was extended by 5.5 inches. And yes that is my custom motorcycle and I built it too. I just need an extra outer shell.

1_zpsagy7jphm.jpg

2_zpsqomy74mq.jpg

3_zpsz3rrfm0h.jpg

Nice Savage bobbers ;).... oh i mean, well done on the custom enclosure!

I am actually working on a build myself but still hesitant to pull the trigger on the Akitio as i am on a TB3 XPS13.  I am hoping that CES will have someone announce their New Intel approved TB3 enclosure this way i dont have to worry about an adapter from TB3 to TB/TB2.  

I did speak with Startech, and they confirmed that projected release date of the TB3 to TB adapter(10/20Gbps) is Mid February 2016.  Second request confirmed the same but with the added mid feb, early march.  So i guess i have some time to wait and see what new comes out for TB3, or get adapter and use the Akitio box.

RE:

I just bought the Atikio Thunder2. I get that these eGPU enclosures could take months to be released, but I am having a bit of a buyer's regret. I am still within the return-window, should I send it back?

3 hours ago, tigelton said:

RE:

I just bought the Atikio Thunder2. I get that these eGPU enclosures could take months to be released, but I am having a bit of a buyer's regret. I am still within the return-window, should I send it back?

I wouldn't. The Razor core will go on sale second half of this year with no known price as yet.  You'll need a new TB3 capable Skylake system and new enclosure to take advantage of TB3. TB3 sees a doubling of TB2 bandwidth (32Gbps versus 16Gbps).

Whatever GPU you buy can be transplanted later into a TB3 enclosure if you want to go down that path. AKiTiO Thunder2 is well priced and has good availability and great results.

2 hours ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

I wouldn't. The Razor core will go on sale second half of this year with no known price as yet.  You'll need a new TB3 capable Skylake system and new enclosure to take advantage of TB3. TB3 sees a doubling of TB2 bandwidth (32Gbps versus 16Gbps).

Whatever GPU you buy can be transplanted later into a TB3 enclosure if you want to go down that path. AKiTiO Thunder2 is well priced and has good availability and great results.

Thanks for the info, I'll enjoy the "now".

Speaking in terms of performance here.... TB2 we are able to get about what 80ish% of total power from Video card?  In TB3 we will get the whole performance of the card, is that a good assumption?  I wonder if ikitio or other companies will provide an "upgrade board" from TB2 to TB3.  Currently i have an XPS 13 with TB3 and a Macbook air and was hoping that CES would have an announcement for TB3 this first quarter but all signs are pointing to mid year.  Well guess its not over yet so who knows.... lol

Oh wow, looks like i under estimated the numbers a bit.  90ish % is plenty of power for a solution that will work on both the MacBook, and the XPS 13(with TB3 > TB2 adapter).  Should be good enough for the next year until more solid solution for TB 3 is put out at which point i should be able to use same adapter(assuming the adapter is bi directional as well) to upgrade and still use it on the MacBook.

Thanks for the link 

RE: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8938-2014-13-mbp-gtx750ti16gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win81osx1010-flinch/

Thank you very much Flinch for your contribution.  I recently copied your setup except using a mac mini.  I still having stability issues when playing Steam games in Windows 10 before and after using your suggestions.  I was able to play Skyrim for 5-6 hours (1080p, high graphics settings, 60 fps) straight without a problem after disconnecting the fan and lowering the TDP.  This positive stretch also happen when nothing else in my house was running such as high powered appliances.  My guess is that the PSU needs steady power and/or the missing barrel plug converter (2.1mm to 2.5mm) is the issue, but I'm not an electrical engineer.

My setup:

- late-2012 mac mini, 4GB RAM, 1 TB 5400, running OS X 10.10 with Win 10 installed via boot camp

- EVGA GTX 750 TI SC

- Akitio Thunder 2

-120W 10A PSU, UL listed 12V AC/DC adapter

-1080p projector/external monitor

I just ordered a barrel plug converter and battery backup with Automatic Voltage Regulation for the 120W PSU.  I'm crossing my fingers that these two items will fix the stability issues.  Also, I will play other Steam games to test the stability.  Specifically, these are the two additions.

- CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1000VA 600W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower

- DC Barrel Plug Converter, 2.1mm x 5.5mm to 2.5mm x 5.5mm, 3" cord

I will keep you posted on the results.

Hi 

I just wanted to check with the more experienced guys on here that what I am doing will work.  I was intending on buying the pre made cable but it is no longer available so from reading on these forums, the setup on the attached image is what I plan to do. 

Dell da-2(pin trick remote to ground) > PCIE 6 to dual 8 cable > 8 pin extension to reach the card > cut the other 6 pins attaching the yellows and blacks to positive and negative terminals of the barrel plug

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EGPU.jpg

Guys after Christmas I will buy the following items and i need help

AKITIO TB2

Paperclip

GPU

http://br.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5252#ov

PSU

http://www.corsair.com/pt-br/cx-series-cx500m-modular-atx-power-supply-500-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-psu

Power plug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-CCTV-video-balun-5-5X2-5mm-DC-Power-plug-Terminals-Connector-Adapter-Power-/321110117729?hash=item4ac3a78d61:g:VDYAAMXQ0pNRqb6a

My noob questions:

1- The GPU have only one pci-e 8-pin, I will connect the PSU cable pci-e 8-pin on GPU, ok?

2- I need to use the others two molex cable (PSU) to barrel Power plug, as this example of Gmonkey,

post-40350-14495001270371.jpg

or i can use only one molex to barrel Power plug?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english! 

@Quinalha

1. Yes

2. Using two Molex plugs is (imho) safer because you spread the load across this two plugs. Worst case the system might use up to 90W on that barrel plug and one molex plug brings a safty risk. Every graphics card has nowadays an adapter from 2xmolex -> 1x6-pin PCIe which is rated for loads of up to 75W.

You should also notice, that the Gigabyte card is too wide for the AKiTiO to be closed.

Edited by Dschijn