Would it do any harm to take out the dvd drive?

Hi,

I was wondering something. I was replacing my hdd with ssd and there were no problems about it. But in the process I broke the hinge that binds the sata strip and mainboard (it was pretty thin).

So right now, the dvd driver is useless. I was wondering if I take out the dvd drive completely (without putting something to replace it), would it do any harm? E.g: Heat-wise or balance-wise

• 3 months later...

I replaced my HDD with a SSD. While I wait on the slow boat to deliver my optical/hdd caddy, I have left out the optical drive. Balance is not a problem. Heat-wise may even be better (although likely a placebo effect!)

Is it possible to retain the HDD in place of the optical drive after installing the SSD in the original location?

I would rather have more memory as compared to an optical disc drive

They make caddies just for that. I've seen them on Amazon & eBay. I use my optical drive & really don't need the extra storage so I haven't looked into them any further than that.

The clip that holds the optical bay SATA strip in place is ridiculous, I'm not surprised you broke something. I had to take the drive out a few times, and it was obnoxious.

I have run the M14xR2 without the drive in at all, no problems. Minor weight imbalance, but I do mean minor. No negative effect on heating/cooling.

I also put a second HDD in place of the DVD, and have had no problems (see sticky at top of this subforum).

You will be fine leaving drive out, just use an external DVD if you really need to. Get used to using ISO files instead...

i too had the same issue, broke the little flap which holds the ribbon cable together (not the actual mount though0, and all you have to do is stick a very thin piece of plastic in it's place. i used a guitar pick, which i cut to fit. hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...

I also broke the little plastic hinge thingy, when i replaced the original HDD with an SSD. luckily i had a hot glue gun in my garage and managed to fix it. however, it took some tries so stabilize the whole thing long enough until the glue got cold, so it really was no work for someone whos more... raw *laugh*. But until now im not running into any problems with it, the dvd drive works perfectly and my SSD also does a great job.