EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
HUSH1994

Y510P: Soldered NGFF SSD Connector, SSD not detected

Hello,

I soldered a NGFF connector to my laptop's motherboard a few days ago, and I installed a 128GB MyDigitalSSD SSD and it is not being detected in the BIOS, and I can't find it in the disk management either. I called Lenovo technical support the day before soldering it and they told me that installing the connector should be enough, no additional ICs or controllers are required, and I called them again yesterday, and they told me that they don't have access to such very technical information :(

I tried a few solutions,including :

1. Switching the boot to Legacy instead of UEFI.(Stopped working since I updated the BIOS yesterday)

2. Reinstalled the chipset driver.

3. Installed ExpressCache and it didn't work either.

Note: The SSD seems like it is getting power since it is heating up while I'm using the PC.

Q1: Is there a way to know whether the connector is recognized by the device?

Q2: I bought a NGFF to SATA connector to check whether the SSD is defective, but its arriving in a month from now, so is there any other way to do that without using any equipment?

Thanks,

Hush

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw your post over on the other forums (lenovo forums, I think) .. anyways, you may have better luck asking over at a large forum like techpowerup or **************.. you need to make the title of your post very general and broad so that more people are able to help.. the more specific you make the title, the less people will be willing to help. I would make a title that is something similar to your Question 1 ("Is there a way to know whether the connector is recognized by the device?").. then put the specifics of your problem in the post, just as a way of giving readers a little bit of background. At the end of the day, the details aren't as important ... as long as youre able to find a way to identify a connector from within the OS or command prompt, it doesnt matter *why* youre looking for it or *which* one youre looking for... you just need to know if it's possible.

So yeah, I would try that.. and post it on some of the large communities where youre more likely to find someone who has the specialized training thats relevant to this issue.

good luck ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I seriously doubt that they haven't soldered the connector, yet everything else "is there". I'm pretty sure there are some capacitors and resistors missing as well. You'll have to have the schematics, but it's pretty new model, so I doubt it that you'll find it. Good luck anyway!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks, I'll try another forum.

UPDATE: I tried another SSD but no luck, seems like that connector is not being recognized :(

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Donz7733
      Hi

Currently I am using Nvidia 376.44 version for SLI functionality. On trying to install any higher version , SLI wont function & only 1 card works.

if anyone is using higher version Than the one mentioned above for SLI, please let me know

Thank You
    • By popozitos
      Hello everyone
      I created a case for egpu using 2.5mm acrylic sheets. The first time I created a case to support a GPU + ATX psu
      Now I created another one for the GPU with an external Xbox 360 203w psu.
      the finish was not good but for my use it is already good.

*both cases album
      *Construction of the second case 
      *adapting xbox psu to 8pin power (taken from 24pin)

all made by hand with the tools I had.

from Brazil.

• By Donz7733
      I am planning to get this Charger (170w 20v 8.5a) - https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-ThinkPad-4X20E50574-170W-AC/dp/B00MLTQ99Y
      &
      the Adapter - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975526334.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.27cb747e6TEc28&algo_pvid=a7db42d0-97cb-4a37-be7a-d19c44bddf73&algo_expid=a7db42d0-97cb-4a37-be7a-d19c44bddf73-0&btsid=8d6ee0f9-08e9-4474-b63b-cc751403b4c7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_60

Will this combination work to run Both GT755m of Y510p?

Thanks

• By adam.jakey
      Hey Everyone. I'm looking through the forums and found out that I can make my old Lenovo a Hackintosh. Is it worth doing? Can you dual boot Windows 10 and OS10? 
    • By FirebirdTA01
      Hi everyone, I have an unusual request. I have an i7-3940xm in my M17xr4 and it's difficult to keep cool. I have already done the m14x fan mod and I'm using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal compound... it's just not enough. The CPU is constantly being throttled (my bios settings in a11 unlocked are set to throttle it 85 C) when under load, and it will sometimes see temperatures in the mid to high 90s. The maximum operating temperature is rated at 105C, and I have a thermal shutdown set in bios for 100C, which it hasn't yet reached (but it gets scary close).  Even when throttled, it's still an upgrade and runs better then the stock 3630qm, but I don't wan't it to throttle all of the time. I know I could underclock it, but what's the point of having an upgraded CPU if you're just going to downclock it to similar specs as the original (baring cache, of course). At idle, by the way, it jumps around mid 50s to high 60s.

Anyway, to keep it cool, I want to try using a peltier cooler. They're thermoelectric ceramic devices of which one side gets hot and the other gets cold when an electric current goes through them, for those who didn't already know. I figure I can sandwich it between my cpu and the heatsink and try to help keep the cpu's temps a little more reasonable. I have one of a workable size which can withstand temps of up to 135C, and I've done the math with it's specs so that it hopefully knocks 25ish degrees off while at full load and not overheat the peltier doing so. This leads me to my question/request; I need to know if anyone would know a place on the motherboard which supplies voltage when the laptop is running, but not when it's off, whether or not the charger/battery is connected? I have found a few good sources on the MB which can withstand the drain, but they're always hot, even when the laptop is off. I have a multimeter and have been probing, but I don't want to disassemble half the laptop and attempt running it in pieces to verify a good source. If no one knows off hand or has any idea, does anyone know of any schematics or files which exist which contain voltage information of various contacts on the m17x r4 motherboard?

I know this is a strange request and most will not be able to assist, but before taking it all the way apart to probe around I thought I would at least ask. I'll make a write-up on how it's done and how well it works if it's successful, as well as a controller circuit if necessary using a teensy 2.0 or something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.