Y510P: Soldered NGFF SSD Connector, SSD not detected

HUSH1994

Hello,

I soldered a NGFF connector to my laptop's motherboard a few days ago, and I installed a 128GB MyDigitalSSD SSD and it is not being detected in the BIOS, and I can't find it in the disk management either. I called Lenovo technical support the day before soldering it and they told me that installing the connector should be enough, no additional ICs or controllers are required, and I called them again yesterday, and they told me that they don't have access to such very technical information :(

I tried a few solutions,including :

1. Switching the boot to Legacy instead of UEFI.(Stopped working since I updated the BIOS yesterday)

2. Reinstalled the chipset driver.

3. Installed ExpressCache and it didn't work either.

Note: The SSD seems like it is getting power since it is heating up while I'm using the PC.

Q1: Is there a way to know whether the connector is recognized by the device?

Q2: I bought a NGFF to SATA connector to check whether the SSD is defective, but its arriving in a month from now, so is there any other way to do that without using any equipment?

Thanks,

Hush

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I saw your post over on the other forums (lenovo forums, I think) .. anyways, you may have better luck asking over at a large forum like techpowerup or **************.. you need to make the title of your post very general and broad so that more people are able to help.. the more specific you make the title, the less people will be willing to help. I would make a title that is something similar to your Question 1 ("Is there a way to know whether the connector is recognized by the device?").. then put the specifics of your problem in the post, just as a way of giving readers a little bit of background. At the end of the day, the details aren't as important ... as long as youre able to find a way to identify a connector from within the OS or command prompt, it doesnt matter *why* youre looking for it or *which* one youre looking for... you just need to know if it's possible.

So yeah, I would try that.. and post it on some of the large communities where youre more likely to find someone who has the specialized training thats relevant to this issue.

good luck ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

I seriously doubt that they haven't soldered the connector, yet everything else "is there". I'm pretty sure there are some capacitors and resistors missing as well. You'll have to have the schematics, but it's pretty new model, so I doubt it that you'll find it. Good luck anyway!

• Thumbs Up 3