BSOD after GTX 880M install in M18x

Hello folks.

Tyler here. I've been using my alienware M18x R1 with a single GTX 560M for years problem free, i recently purchased a GTX 880M upgrade. After every install of this card a 7b stop error occurs when booting windows, same thing happens in safe mode. When i run the repair program it tells me there is no bootable drive. the Bios appears to see the GPU and HD. I did a clean install of windows, ran DDU in safe mode and flashed my bios with the latest unlocked version. The computer works flawlessly with the old card and no card. All signs point to driver conflict but i cant find the solution. I'm using a 240 watt power supply. Could my PSU be the problem? it is old and a little beat up. If anyone has any ideas or experience with this, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

I found a little more info on the error code, leading me to believe its an I/O conflict

[h=2]Cause[/h] The INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE bug check frequently occurs because of a boot device failure. During I/O system initialization

Remove any recently added hardware, especially hard disk drives or controllers, to see if the error is resolved. If the problematic hardware is a hard disk drive, the disk firmware version might be incompatible with your version of the Windows operating system. Contact the manufacturer for updates. If you removed another piece of hardware and the error is resolved, IRQ or I/O port conflicts likely exist. Reconfigure the new device according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Do you know which vbios is on your 880m?

No when i purchased the card the guy ask for computer info so he could flash the card. not sure what Vbios he used.

I ran the Linux distro it looks like it boots up fine, but i really no nothing on the operation of Linux, lol.

So.. does this confirm anything? the I/0 conflict or is my OS conflicting or PSU?

Please prepare an USB drive that can boot DOS and dump the vbios with nvflash, then we know more.

Thanks for the advice svI7. Although the unlocked version u guys have does not work. The MSI 880 version form Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp worked. Im happy to have my cpu back thanks again to svI7 and Netomx.

not working- original version: 80.04.E9.00.02

not working- unlocked version: 80.04.F8.00.1D

working - version: 80.04.ea.00.03

Do you have a picture of your card?

Something's odd. I don't see why the other versions shouldn't work.

The MSI simply doesn't include the uefi gop driver, so the only possibility I can think of why it shouldn't work is related to secure boot / legacy boot settings.

Okay, thanks. Well it is pretty difficult for me to point down the issue without having a system to test myself.

It's interesting that the MSI vbios should work for you. That being said it would not be the first time I see a nvidia vbios messing with boot devices...

You say you have uefi boot disabled, I take it you have 'quick boot' disabled as well? As well as 'EFI Device First'?

Interested in testing some things?

Ok so current settings

UEFI disabled

Quick Boot enabled

EFI Device first disabled

on closer look i dont see the card in device manager, unable to install driver. so maybe the vbios doesent work. bios sees the card thou.

For all your help i'll test anything u want

on closer look i dont see the card in device manager, unable to install driver. so maybe the vbios doesent work. bios sees the card thou.

Hmm, bad news then. At least that would mean that the vbios itself was not the issue, which would make more sense for me. Well, still odd that you would get the boot device error with the other vbios.

Did you already try disabling the IGP device and booting with PEG only?

Hmm, bad news then. At least that would mean that the vbios itself was not the issue, which would make more sense for me. Well, still odd that you would get the boot device error with the other vbios.

Did you already try disabling the IGP device and booting with PEG only?

yup, what a bummer!

As unlikely as this sounds, it might be worth a try... if you can test that, try to see whether it works without raid. It is not very likely to make a difference, but I mainly suggest this because I have experienced nvidia vbios messing with boot devices myself.

Setting drives to non-raid worked! reinstalled windows and drivers, display adapters said standard vga adapter. Used modded inf from Mr. Fox for the 337.88 international driver and whala, device manager lists 880M.

So it seems the MSI Vbios i used worked with the raid configuration, i was just using the non international version of the driver with the same modded inf file.

Thanks guys. start testing!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok. So MSI vbios is working with raid and everything, the others you tested aren't, right?

Then I'd have to things you could test if interested.

Correct. Ok test away and ill do my best.

so to be clear im using the modded Vbios from this forum. it did not work with a raided HD but is now working in non raid same goes for the dell vbios.

However the MSI Vbios worked with raided drives and the standard vga driver was the adapter(windows does not recognize the specifics of the card but sees it) had i installed the Nividia driver correctly im sure it would have worked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Now 3dmark tests crash and freeze comp. All tests crash with an error "hardware device removed" and driver crashes aswell. I guess my system is unstable at higher temps. I know nothing about clocks lol or how to stabilize my computer