Alienware m17x R2 and HD6970m issues

Hello friends! I have upgraded my brother's R3 to a GTX770m, and the old HD6970m, I am trying to install it to a friend with a R2. I don't know what I am doing wrong, I just can't. The GPU overheats (88C) and shuts down. I have used new diamond thermal paste, I have used new thermal pads, cutted perfectly for the RAM only. What am I missing?

Thanks friends!

Update: I used a 0.019" aluminum shim between the GPU and the heatsink, and it mantained the temp in 75-80C, but I think I have damaged the GPU before that. After so many tries, it started to crash in 74-82 C when used, so it was useless, but worth sharing if anyone have heat problems. Tried the shim solution on a m15x (changed rom a 460M to a 660M) and the temp went to 38C with FurMark. Impressive at my point of view.

• 2 weeks later...

i used a copper coin between my gpu and my heatsink with thermal paste and it lowered my temps significantly (i was advised not to do it and it would not work) my temps were around 68-74C