Switch GTX780M SLI to GTX880M SLI

How much faster is that 880M SLI compared to 780M SLI? Does anyone know?

Its not faster because of architecture, 880M is just a 780M with higher clock. Just change your 780M clock to 880M one and you can have new gpu without purchasing anything.

Is that true?

I thought the 880m was more than just an upclocked 780m?

Yes, same as 680MX = 780M = 880M. You can check on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880M - NotebookCheck.net Tech

Just check shader count in 880, 780 and then 680mx. It's still same gpu, just higher clocked. Check the architecture too, it's still Kepler. Only new 880MX/980M will be new architecture.

Nvidia got 780M chip, gave it more memory than 780M and released it as 880M so poeple would buy "new" card with super power 8GB RAM which they will never use. If you mind if VRAM makes difference in games just check online tests of VRAM, 4GB is way more than enough for any video game available in 2014. So in my opinion buying 880M when you have 780M is totally waste of money.

AMD does same rebranding because 7970M = 8970M = R9 M290X. Still same card so if You would have 7970M You would have still newest AMD model available. Probably Radeon R9 M295X will not be rebrand but it's not released yet.

That's how to business works hehe.

If you have any questions then ask. I will be glad to help you :)

• 3 months later...