Y500 - Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 - intermittently drops WiFi connection

musorka

How can I make sure that WiFi connection drops came from WiFi card and are not depending of my environment with many other wireless connections like WiFi and Bluetooth? Even humidity will have an impact on WiFi connection.

• 3 weeks later...
How can I make sure that WiFi connection drops came from WiFi card and are not depending of my environment with many other wireless connections like WiFi and Bluetooth? Even humidity will have an impact on WiFi connection.

I would think if you have the 2230 it is almost certain that the issue is with your wifi card. Google Centrino 2230 and you will see 100's of threads complaining about that card, including on the Intel website. TO be sure I would suggest using a 2nd or 3rd wifi device right next to the problem device. If that is the only device that loses the connection you can be pretty sure. I also downloaded a wifi analyzer for my android phone. That way when I got a drop I could check the wifi connection with that as well. For me I am 100% sure the issue was the Centrino 2230.

I upgraded my bios yesterday and hope to get to the store today to pick up an Intel AC 7260. I will let you know how it works once it is installed. I suspect I will have to play with the drivers for a bit but I am expecting a significant improvement.

• 1 month later...

Is someone here is using Windows 10 Tech Preview?

Does it changes something with the 2230 drivers?

I was using TP 10061 and the wifi went completely down.

Had to plug Ethernet to update it to 10071.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two issues that i was able to fix. issue one was the wifi dropping completely. I fixed this by going into device manager and disabling bluetooth. Once i did this i never had wifi lock up issues unless i turned on bluetooth. the next issue was trouble with interference as i live in an apartment. i fixed this by switching to a 5.0GHz router and getting a tiny 5GHz usb dongle. it barely sticks out, the brand i got was edimax.

I'm having the same problems. It is extremely obvious that the signal drops when I am streaming on my network. I'm planning on doing the bios fix, and then installing an intel advanced-n 6535 (its like 10 bucks on amazon).

like most of the people here, I have issues in y510p wifi card,, whenever im playing online games, I will get disconnected and sometimes takes too long to reconnect again.. im planning to do bios mod too if I can download the softwares from here..

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to be joining the fray of people getting the 7260. I've tried so much trouble shooting with this thing. I never knew it would get so bad! I remember reading in the reviews that it was a bad card but I decided I really didn't need much out of my card just because of the type of user I am, and it had been okay-ish for the most part for as long as I've had this machine, and just recently the card had been in the toilet as far as speed goes. I've exhausted every other possibility i could think of and looked in every forum. So I'm ordering one off of amazon now, and I'll report back when I do the deed

• 1 month later...

I've tried the disable bluetooth and changing all the settings. I do have to say it actually works now, however it still has lag spikes. I have full connection bars and signal strength, but it will intermittently drop packets, so for web surfing it is livable but for gaming it is unacceptable. I also think it may be the built in network card and particular routers,as I didn't have issues at work. I take it home and I get the dropped packets again. Another thing I noticed is if it runs on the battery, it gets really bad. Anyone else notice if it only gets worse while on battery power?

Thought I'd chip in here with my experience. I've tried the n2230, n6235 and the ac7260 in my y510p, they all have the exact same issue with ping spikes when searching for roaming networks(which happens periodically), the only thing that fixes this is disabling roaming in the registry. I've spent 20+ h reading and experimenting.

I've given up and just run without roaming. Just so you don't expect it to be fixed if you change NIC (from Intel atleast).

I am glad I do not need to use the wifi card as often, because I use my laptop mostly stationary and the ethernet adapter is relative good :)

But I have to say that when I need it, it will not work in 7 out of 10 times -.-

This whole Whitelist bothers me, what bothers me even more is it is not a white list, it is a special version of the card.

I bought a new 2230 card because mine died (did not even show in Dev Manager on Linux or Windows, I dual boot). Told me unauthorized card, despite the same model number. I then noticed that the card has a special ID, my guess is specific to Lenovo.

Having worked to certify wireless products, I know what a pain it is. However, that is not the reason for this restriction. The Intel 2230 is modular certified, what that means is that if you use the antenna that it was certified with (which almost all laptops use), you do not need to certify again, simply show the FCC ID of the module on the system (IE the laptop) and send your $$ to the FCC then you are good. No testing, nothing, at least for US and CAN (Canada mirrors the FCC rules, just send them a check and you are good to go.

So the only reason to make this restriction is to sell their version of the 2230. That sucks, and I have a disabled laptop because of it.

Read a post of mine.

I have Lenovo Y500 (59-360470) with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230. Today, I have bought a new modem, Asus DSL-N10E. The old one is Pikatel AirMax-101. I got a lot of problem while playing online games. Suddenly ping values had been increased. So I made a decision to buy Asus DSL-N10E. Since I use Asus modem, I drop from the Wi-Fi and can't connect to it for a few seconds. Sometimes I can't see any Wi-Fi.

I have also an external Wi-Fi adapter called Alfa AWUS036H. While I'm using it, nothing like that events have occured. I use the latest driver for N2230. I'm gonna take my laptop for service. I hope some of you would find a solution for this problem guys.

Greetings from Turkey

• 2 months later...

I've tried every possible solution out there for the past 2 years, including changing routers. So far the only thing that worked for me was to disable the 40Mhz mode and just use 20Mhz. Seems this wlan card is just a very very poor quality product. No way around that apart from replacing it. Shame...

• 1 month later...

So I've had this laptop for around 2 to three years. Worked great until about five days ago my wifi speed keeps dropping like crazy and I've tried everything to fix it. What helped was restoring back to a old hard drive image of windows 8.1 but its still a lil shaky sometimes. I bought a replacement intel 2230 card but I have no if it'll work. I'll edit the post when I do end up replacing it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just bought the 7260 and learned about this "whitelist" non-sense. I was fixing my GF's samsung and installed the same wifi adapter no problems. I was reading up on the Intel 6300N since that's an item on this stupid list. How can we know for sure if the part they reference in the hardware manual will even work. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...