IS there a way to run games designed for 32bit machines on 64 bit ones?

jtravapd

I'm trying to run a old game , actually the leisure suit larry collection which has all 6 games on one disc and autoplay loads but then whenever i try and click on any one of the games i get a error message saying the game can only run on a 32 bit machine. I attempted to run in it in windows xp compatable mode ect. and still no luck. Using the scunmvm player I can play every sierra point and click adventure game with no problem, but the scummvm player cannot play any of the leisure suit larry games. Is it possible to patch a game to run on a 64 bit processor? the game has no two options like x86 or 64 exe files to chose from either.

i'm not positive in this case but i'd recommend checking out the gog release of this game, i've had good success with their prior re-releases on modern systems, and i'm certain they have this series in completion.

You haven't mentioned which OS version you have, but you could run Windows XP mode under Windows 7 Pro and get around it that way. If you can find an old copy of Windows XP, you can also try installing it under VirtualBox (free) or VMWare Workstation: VMware Workstation: Run Multiple OS, Linux, Windows 8 & More; | United States

I know VMWare supports graphics acceleration for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Your games are probably 16bit one.

From what I know 32bit-windows can run 16bit and 32bit programs and 64bit-windows can run only 32bit and 64bit programs.

So you can't directly run 16bit programs on 64bit-windows.

SO to run 16bit games you can use virtual machine(such as virtualbox, vmware etc.) and install 32-bit windows on it.

If you computer OS is one of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, there is Windows XP mode provided by microsoft which is 32bit WinXP running on virtual machine.

As for your question about patching games to run on 64bit, I don't think it is possible except the developer of your games have update the game to run on 64bit.

• 4 months later...