Best Method to capture Crysis 3 without performance loss?

rtgrav

Hey everyone,

what do you think is the best way to capture Gaming scenes?

I bought a 170$ video capture box called elegato. but it only takes 720p and the quiality was solala ;)

now i thought about just capturing with fraps.

anyone has experience with it?

I want to capture my own Crysis3 Maps in best quiality on an i7 with 7990. think software will work?

You can try MSI Afterburner. It's free and there a lot of options, but there will be a performance loss. How high depends on your settings in Afterburner.

DxTory is also a good capturing programme.

The only way I can think of other than an capture card is using FRAPS or some other recording software, but record it to a separate drive, preferrably an SSD due to its faster writing speed so the drive that the game is reading from isn't writing at the same time, taking a performance hit. You will still notice some performance loss but it will reduce it by a decent amount.

• Thumbs Up 1

ou nice idea @yadoi ... i actually lost my elegato capture box... so i have to use software now. its worth a try saving ~200 bucks for a new capture device.

i think i should have a ssd and an sata-usb connector around here. i think ill try it. that way....

@Racer1 afterburner, does it run on every 7990? even if its not MSI?

So with some luck msi afterburner runs well on my device, uses hardware on the GFX Card and the file will be written on an extern SSD... :D sounds like a plan!

and in case it is no good quality and i need to purchase a capturebox, wich one would you choose? talking about videoquality "blackmagic" is a brand very specialized in high quality. i have seen they have an USB stick for capturing. is there any "popular" device people choose?

You could also use the HD-PVR2 Gaming Edition. Just plug the HDMI-in on your laptop or desktop and plug your screen (either DVI or HDMI) to HDMI-out. Pretty usefull for livestreams as wel since you can get live feedback. I suggest to use dual screen so you can monitor the capture. It doesn't use your CPU or RAM or GPU since it has its own Hardware Decoder. As far I know it can record in 1080P aslong the source is 1080P.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer Shadowplay. Afterburner was giving me some errors, where I had no freezing while playing. But every so often a poor quality vid with loads of freezing/stuttering/low resolution would come out. But most of my greatest vids were filmed with afterburner...

Use MSI Afterburner, but if you have an NVIDIA card, switch the compressor to the NV12 option. There it enables video recording with higher quality than Geforce Experience, but it uses the Shadowplay encoder.