Build update

Jimbo

Reusing some parts (case, storage, watercooling etcetera), but as a general -

Mobo/cpu/hdd/ram/psu ~$1400AUD

2 x 580 - $800AUD (2nd hand, less than a month old)

Pretty good pricing mate.

I'd personally prefer to go the 6990 route, probably get 4gb for the price of your 2 580's lol (not quite.. but you get the point I'm making!)

Nobody that I'm aware of, they all suck. Have a look at some youtube tutorials, it's honestly not that hard man.

Feel free to ask me anytime in a thread or by pm/email/whatever, I'll do whatever I can to help.

wow cool, i never had the chance to build a water cooled system yet. really tempted to covert my 2500k setup into a water cooled unit, so how much for all the water cooling stuff?

Well, in AUS the XSPC kits are ridiculously cheap (IMO), that's what I started with - It's a good beginning for your first custom(ish) loop. The only thing I think is mandatory to change is get some metal hose clamps, I just don't trust plastic for that.

XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit [XSPC-R750-RX360] - $199.00 : PC Case Gear

That will cool a CPU + GPU easily. If you've got the space, make sure to get the RX rad, it's twice as thick.

My CPU sits on ~ 65C at 5.2Ghz in eight threaded P95. That's with ICD, no lapping job (yet), over a 24 hour period with ambient temps as high as 24C.

^ You have a 2500k setup and it hasn't fried yet? Miracle :D

hahah its my desktop i mainly use for work, its pretty modest, using a cheapo gpu for it atm, but planning on a 580 or something similar once i have the time and money. haven't really pushed it at all really. my laptop is my main machine i use for everything, so that my baby.

Well, in AUS the XSPC kits are ridiculously cheap (IMO), that's what I started with - It's a good beginning for your first custom(ish) loop. The only thing I think is mandatory to change is get some metal hose clamps, I just don't trust plastic for that.

XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit [XSPC-R750-RX360] - $199.00 : PC Case Gear

That will cool a CPU + GPU easily. If you've got the space, make sure to get the RX rad, it's twice as thick.

My CPU sits on ~ 65C at 5.2Ghz in eight threaded P95. That's with ICD, no lapping job (yet), over a 24 hour period with ambient temps as high as 24C.

wow thats sick, i will look into it once i get some money to burn, hahaha

Then the thread is fulfilling it's purpose :D

Feel free to ask for me to do any benches/whatever, or if you or anyone else wants advice with building a desktop, I'm more than happy to oblige.

• Thumbs Up 1