Much thanks @Chamelleon - yeah the i7-4702 would def be a safe choice as it has the same TDP as the i5 I currently have. It would be my next choice. 

But i7-4800 is the same exact price as the 4702 and is about 15-17% faster,

If someone can confirm if there's no throttling with i7-4700/4800 or any other 47W TDP CPU while dGPU is in use, I would totally go for it..

• 2 months later...
On 27/09/2016 at 12:07 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Don't know why it disappeared off here. Found an archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20150829044909/http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html

I'd say stick with the i7-4702MQ. Dell E6440's cooling system isn't up to dissipating the heat if try to increase UEFI TDP values of the i7-4800MQ processors to allow function in their upper multipliers.

Hey!

I am about to buy a 2nd revision FHD IPS version of E6440 and of course I would exchange the i5 CPU to a quad-core i7, my only problem is that I cannot find suitable 4702MQ CPUs on the market, while there are plenty of 4700-800MQs around. I wanted to read about undervolting these CPUs, but the link is somehow dead, as it was mentioned before, but I cannot find anything even with Wayback Machine. Could you provide/re-open the topic to see your results?

Cheers,

Marton

• 1 month later...

Great topic that's as I'm finding the 4810MQ hits "Current Limit Throttling" very quickly (even when idling) and as a result the Package TDP never goes up above 23W with a max core frequency of 2.4Ghz and a package temperature of 70°C, which is very odd. Does anyone know of a way to remove that limitation ? Thanks !

• 4 months later...

Does any one have a problem with iGPU Boost speed? Mine never goes to 1200 under load. Only bounces between 650 and 850.

Also has any one managed to overclock the iGPU succesfully? Uefi values or Intel XTU dont seem to work.

Config is i5 4300m with iGPU only. 2 x 4GB at 1600mhz, Windows 10.

• 4 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, Hellz said:

Does any one have a problem with iGPU Boost speed? Mine never goes to 1200 under load. Only bounces between 650 and 850.

Also has any one managed to overclock the iGPU succesfully? Uefi values or Intel XTU dont seem to work.

Config is i5 4300m with iGPU only. 2 x 4GB at 1600mhz, Windows 10.

you should go to intel HD Graphics Panel and set it to Max Performance, after doing so, mine became full speed (1299 Mhz I think)

Good afternoon I'm new to the forum and also new as owner of a Dell E6440 without dgpu. I would like to put an egpu. I have some doubts More the main doubt and that my notebook has the card exprecard and the bios is updated to version A23. I would have problem with gen2  PCIe speed?

2 hours ago, tisusbr said:

Good afternoon I'm new to the forum and also new as owner of a Dell E6440 without dgpu. I would like to put an egpu. I have some doubts More the main doubt and that my notebook has the card exprecard and the bios is updated to version A23. I would have problem with gen2  PCIe speed?

image.png.be1243381527e599f921d2fcf8609513.pngimage.png.ca42a083092ba970ac52f35f53a680ef.png

Seems to be working @ v21 so it suppose to be working @ v23 as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many thanks for the reply. I'll look for a good vga for this dell e6440. I'm thinking of a RX 560. And in the eCPPU EXP GDC adapter. Any suggestions for this newbie? Thanks again for the quick reply.

1 hour ago, Chamelleon said:

image.png.be1243381527e599f921d2fcf8609513.pngimage.png.ca42a083092ba970ac52f35f53a680ef.png

Parece estar trabalhando @ v21, então, suponha que esteja funcionando também com @ v23.

I was happy when I saw the gpu-z PCIe x16 image. More I remembered that only the information from the left side to the current band used by the pcie. :)

Hey all! I recently got a second hand dGPU E6440 (i7 4600M) from a guy on FB marketplace, the machine looks and works all ok (after some troubleshooting), however it suffered from extreme throttling (as low as 0.4MHz)

After long troubleshooting I've managed to solve the issue with ThrottleStop, I think this happens as the charger he gave me is a generic one.

However, the machine was suffering from Thermal, Current Limit and Power Limit Throttling as reported on XTU

To solve Thermal I bought some Noctua NT-H1, which works for shaming periods of time, I've changed Paste easily 4 times on a month:

First time I opened it the Paste it had was horrible at the least, I cleaned it all and applied a small blob to both chips,  got temps down from 80C on Idle to high 40s, low 50s, while gaming it held a solid 97C (with its sweet dose of 97C PROCHOT), which ultimately always caused my CPU to go 0.4MHz if I gave it the time to do so, after new paste it reached 85-87C at full 3.5GHz TB)

Couple weeks after, I opened it up as 97C and Thermal Throttling came back, but before that I noticed CPU wasn't working on Turbo anymore while gaming, however when opened it up I noticed that the paste slid al out of the Dies, so I thought I used too little and re-cleaned and re-applied, a slight higher amount on both chips, and monitored temperature more closely.

Turned out the same, four days later I was pretty sure the same as before happened again, I opened it and all the paste had slid out of both chips and temperatures were going high again.

This time I applied a good bunch of paste (that's a no-no for me, always, but what else could I've tried? I'm pretty sure there's enough pressure on all screws [EXCEPT for screws 5 & 6 on the GPU part of the Heatsink, they seem to stand out while all others seem to go deeper, however, they will not go deeper despite how much force I put into, it feels like they're seated])

This time It lasted a couple weeks again, doing some VRAM underclocking kept *96C* everything from Thermal Throttling, however when I opened the computer to check, the paste did slid out of the Dies already, this time I only applied a regular amount into it and haven't done anything else since, but  I'm pretty sure this persists.

Pictures of what it looked like when I opened it the fourth time and screws that I feel like not reaching bottom:

Pictures

Room temperature has been around 25C max and mins of around 5C

Could this be the Noctua's paste consistency?

Might be the screw I'm mentioning?

Can someone provide me with a Screenshot of "Primary Plane Power Limits on TPL section on Throttlestop? As far as the program creator told me, there's one point while gaming that my Turbo needs to be shut down as my GPU isn't getting enough CURRENT, he said that the locked value (55 on mine) was what it was causing it, and if it wasn't editable I was pretty much stuck with that, in that regard I'm planning on upgrade to a 4800MQ, but I'm concerned that I will not get it's maximum E6440 potential as I'm stuck on PPL CL 55, Throttlestop author told me the ideal value should be 100. I've tried to extract my BIOS and modify Power Limits as described posts up, however I get "Error 201: [FPTw.exe] cannot be run on the current platform. Please contact your vendor." with no solution yet, I wonder if the FPTW OP uploaded was different than the one I found on the web, I looked for the same version tho) 

image.png

Also, could anyone provide Gaming benchmarks using a Dual and Quad? Will it benefit framerates to get a Quad? I know on instances where CPU is at 100 and GPU lower than that it will certainly help, but how about non-bottlenecking games?  I use this machine for content creation too, so I'd get benefits from a Quad anyhow.

Thanks fellas!

Edited by pinkyfloo
slight modifications

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna answer to my previous questions and post some information for -hopefully- posterity, as there are some older posts quoting some dead links, I've digged on these subjects and found the most reliable and easy methods to do so, this is a great machine, it can stand for non-gaming battle all through 2019, I'll be updating this post over time.

As a note, right now the i7 4930MX is sitting at 183 Euros on Aliexpress (they price it on EUR), the 4940MX is around 300, and it's only 100MHz faster, so best price-performance relationship as of early Jan 2019 is 4930MX

Edit 1: First batch of info:

Thermal issues

Spoiler

I've managed to extend NTH1 cooling activity by leaving the paste curate (repaste, boot up, TSBench 1024 4 Threads Twice [takes about 6 mins each pass on 4600M Stock], Shut down for 1 hour, then normal use.

I'm using a cheap fan under the laptop as well, temperaures have been sitting around 48-52 idle with Clock modulation on, on Power Saving goes almost 45C, during load has peaks of 90-94 AT MOST, before used to be 97C PROCHOT (slight throttle to avoid TJuction) and around 105 on the GPU (CRITICAL TEMP)

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NOCTUA NT-H1 for this laptop, to me it seems that there's a gap between heatsink and CPU/GPU Die. The Paste's consitency is great for high pressure mouunting systems, however that's not the case in most laptops.

Planning on buying either liquid metal or Kryonaut, if I ever get the liquid metal I'll probably be following the liquid metal apply guide by verei at NotebookReview: ThrottleStop - Overclocking Dell Precision M6800, I will update on this later on.

UPDATE:  as of March 27, 2019 I can confirm that Kryonaut has the right consistency and thermal capability for this laptop, have been playing Skyrim SE, GTA V, Resident Evil 2 REmake, RE7, doing 1080p production on After Effects, never hitting that anything above 88 for the CPU and 97 for the GPU (Only RE2, most games won't go over 90C, also tMax for 8690M is 105C) also my tests before were made during winter, now it's almost Spring and we are reaching almost 30c ambient here, also I'm not using any mat or external cooling but I'm on a 2-Core 4600M

I'm waiting for this Kootek Chill Mat 5 I ordered, it stands as the best cooler out there on several tests, reducing up to 30C internal temps, yes you read right 30C.

I opted in for a 4 5.5-Inch fans cooling mat, again from Kootek as the previous Chill Mat 5 was heavily damaged upon arrival to customs and they refunded it. Still waiting for it.

But I'm thinking heavily about this OPOLAR Laptop Vacuum Fan, I'd suggest everyone to look at it but can't really recommend it as I haven't bought it, their concept is far better than chill mats IMO though, and I prolly get one and combine it with a mat if I ever upgrade to a MQ CPU.

Turbo Power Limits (TPL) - Removing CPU TDP Limits

In order to modify CPU TDP and Current constraints we need to modify the BIOS, the most reliable, fast and easy method is to use a NVRAM editor (Notice that if you want to reset these values to default you should either re-do the process entering the default values or remove your CMOS battery)

As of 2019 FTK8 gave me Error 201 with BIOS from A02 to A23 and wouldn't dump the bios, as the variables are already known, we're gonna skip this part of the process used by Atonus (WORKAROUND AVAILABLE)

Spoiler

It turns out that Dell did indeed turn of any RAID settings and hid it from the common user. Or rather didn't make it visible. What you have to do to enable RAID on the Dell Latitude E6440 is:

- Download https://www.sendspace.com/<wbr>file/bouk3i

It's a flash toolkit by Intel with additional batch scripts mostly for Asus boards. You can use fptw to dump your current or flash a new BIOS.
- Extract it to C:\. The new path should be "C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows"

You can extract it, where you want. However, it will be easier to handle the next steps, if it is C:\.
- Start > type "cmd" > right click > Open as Administrator.

You need full rights to run fptw.exe
- Type "cd C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows" to change your current directory to the toolkit folder

- Type "fptw.exe -D backup.rom -BIOS"

This command will create a dump (-D) of the BIOS section (-BIOS) to the file backup.rom. The Management Engine section for example is read/write protected, so it won't be possible to do a full dump.
Then you can open the dump with "UEFITool" (just search for it on Google), then search for and extract the module SetupPrep, when you find it, run it trough the "Universal IFR extractor" which will generate a text document of the input. I attached my text document down below so that you can compare. SetupPrep IFR.txt

The interesting part is in my case in line 2030. It tells us the name of the setting ("RAID0"), the hexadecimal address in the NVRAM (0x19D) and its possible values (0 - Disabled/ 1 - Enabled).

Spoiler

WORKAROUND

Head to Next Spolier

In order to do so you need to download This NVRAM Editor, paste the EFI folder on the root of a FAT32 USB Stick, reboot, F12, boot from UEFI USB stick, once in there we're going to use Atonus's BIOS variables, As well I used those in the post that verei quotes on his guide.

Once in GRUB in the NVRAM Editor type:
setup_var VAR DV

Where:

VAR is the Variable I.E. 0xC9A or 0x54

DV is Desired Value I.E. 0x0 or 0x1

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x0 to Disable Package Power Limit

setup_var 0xC9A 0x1 to Enable Package Power Limit

If you do:

setup_var VAR, the output will show you the current value of that variable in the form of 0x0X

where X is the value (0x01, 0x03, 0x00, etc)

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A

output will be something like:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x00

Atonus's Variables - RED Means TARGET, BLACK Means Default Value

I Can CONFIRM, after dumping the BIOS's that these are right up to A23

Spoiler

CPU TDP Variables

Spoiler

Package Power Limit Lock - Variable: 0xC9A
Disabled, Value: 0x0
Enabled, Value: 0x1

Platform Power Limit Lock - Variable: 0x54

Configrable TDP Level - Variable: 0x39
TDP NOMINAL: 0x0
TDP DOWN: 0x1

TDP UP: 0x2
Disabled 0xFF

CFG Lock - Variable 0xC90

VR Current Value Lock - Variable: 0x99

RAID Variables

Spoiler

TOLUD Variables (eGPU)

Spoiler

ExpressCard/eGPU Variables

Spoiler

Disable AMD GPU (DON'T DO IT)

Spoiler

Edited by pinkyfloo

Basically, I have dedicated graphics of 4600 and I bought a gtx960 to get a bit more gaming juice, ive plugged it into the port closest to the Right speaker (I believe it may be 7, the express card slot in a previous picture I'd seen) Basically, the GPU is detected but has error 43. I've followed steps and downgraded to 368.81, reset and it seems to say its working correctly in the device manager, I can also use GPU-Z to get it to spin up, however it doesn't seem to appear any graphics memory is being used.

(I have disabled the dGPU)

If I try and load up any game, I think it must be running on CPU only, because I get no more than 1fps

1 hour ago, StratusEnd said:

Basically, I have dedicated graphics of 4600 and I bought a gtx960 to get a bit more gaming juice, ive plugged it into the port closest to the Right speaker (I believe it may be 7, the express card slot in a previous picture I'd seen) Basically, the GPU is detected but has error 43. I've followed steps and downgraded to 368.81, reset and it seems to say its working correctly in the device manager, I can also use GPU-Z to get it to spin up, however it doesn't seem to appear any graphics memory is being used.

If I try and load up any game, I think it must be running on CPU only, because I get no more than 1fps

I think you haven't lowered TOLUD, how did you disable the dGPU? error 43 (as reported on EGPU IO) doesn't affect 9xx or older GPUs, therefore you can update to the latest (or your favorite) version drivers, basically you need to do the NVRAM work to enable hotplugging, lower the TOLUD and Disable dGPU (Not recommended), however if you're using setup 1.3, I think it can be all done from there, when had my eGPU I did the old fashion, DSDT Override and NVRAM values, it was another model tho, you can head to my post (Or search for Atonus's and ****** NVRAM values at page 2, theyre linked at the first post "Enable RAID", there are the eGPU NVRAM values at the end)

Edited by pinkyfloo

8 hours ago, StratusEnd said:

Sorry, can't help You in this case. I have iGPU only version and never had dGPU in any laptop for eGPU. I can also tell You that GTX960 is very picky in case of eGPU (I heared) and it won't be working on every setup.

CrzyGK has or had seme setup as You. I have iGPU + GTX780 and it's working on every BIOS and Driver version. I can boot with eGPU attached or hot plug it. But as I said it's completely different setup than Yours so can't help this time.

Does anybody know anything about getting a gtx960 working with an e6440? If I roll back the drivers it seems to detect it and accept it, I can also put stress on the gpu to test it, however I have no idea how to make it my computers gpu as NVidia control panel doesn’t load

• 2 months later...

What would be the best adapter for egpu. I am in doubt what would be the best option for this notebook? (ExpressCard V8.x EXP GDC or PCE164P-N03 mPCIe, see 006C)
And a very silly question. Which notebook modeli dell has pcie support with a higher bandwidth?

1 hour ago, tisusbr said:

What would be the best adapter for egpu. I am in doubt what would be the best option for this notebook? (ExpressCard V8.x EXP GDC or PCE164P-N03 mPCIe, see 006C)
And a very silly question. Which notebook modeli dell has pcie support with a higher bandwidth?

I have an EXP GDC v8.4 EC, was a bit buggy and crashed every now and then, used it with an E5440 IIRC that model has 2x EC, I'm gonna soon get a 4970K build with a 770, probably gonna EC retrofit to make some modern benchmarks on both systems.

Some pages above someone mentions an HP Haswell machine with Thunderbolt 1 I think, would give a huge leap on performance I guess

On 3/7/2018 at 11:14 AM, webvan said:

Great topic that's as I'm finding the 4810MQ hits "Current Limit Throttling" very quickly (even when idling) and as a result the Package TDP never goes up above 23W with a max core frequency of 2.4Ghz and a package temperature of 70°C, which is very odd. Does anyone know of a way to remove that limitation ? Thanks !

Hi, i have a similar problem, hope someone can help me, i just bought an e6540 a few weeks ago, with i7 4810mq and dGPU the guy who sold me the laptop gave me a 90w adapter and battery of 11.1v 4.4A which isnt the appropiate, I thought that was the reason of current limit throttling. Now i have a 180w adapter but the issue persists, can it be phisycal damage to any component of the mobo? (like a capacitor or something)

The cpu basically can't go over base clock (2.8) with or without turbo boost activated.

Is there any way to change that current limit? (its locked to 84A) or i need a moded BIOS?

If its a phisycal problem, which component do i need to replace?

Thanks for your time

13 hours ago, LuisVillalon said:

Hi, i have a similar problem, hope someone can help me, i just bought an e6540 a few weeks ago, with i7 4810mq and dGPU the guy who sold me the laptop gave me a 90w adapter and battery of 11.1v 4.4A which isnt the appropiate, I thought that was the reason of current limit throttling. Now i have a 180w adapter but the issue persists, can it be phisycal damage to any component of the mobo? (like a capacitor or something)

The cpu basically can't go over base clock (2.8) with or without turbo boost activated.

Is there any way to change that current limit? (its locked to 84A) or i need a moded BIOS?

If its a phisycal problem, which component do i need to replace?

Thanks for your time

Hi! Please tell us the temperatures your system averages, I suppose you're reading CLT from XTU right? I recommend you to use Throttlestop, for the current limits indeed you can disable them, few posts above I was writing a 2019 version on how to do so but I haven't had time to finish writing it, I can make an effort to finish it later today.

Edit: I see you have an E6540 I'm not sure if the variables are the same, however I encourage to do it and try to get your limits higher in Throttlestop under the TPL tab, if they don't work you can simply turn off the laptop, remove battery, hold power for not sure if 10 secs or a min, open it and remove CMOS battery for 1 min, your BIOS will be back to default, I'll check what boot configuration you have as mine wasn't as stock config, therefore I couldn't boot to Windows until I modified it to what it was.

(I stopped using XTU for it's buggyness, TS is also buggy but by far better, just restart the program if it's not working and done)

Cheers!

Edited by pinkyfloo

On 3/17/2019 at 3:08 PM, pinkyfloo said:

Hi! Please tell us the temperatures your system averages, I suppose you're reading CLT from XTU right? I recommend you to use Throttlestop, for the current limits indeed you can disable them, few posts above I was writing a 2019 version on how to do so but I haven't had time to finish writing it, I can make an effort to finish it later today.

Edit: I see you have an E6540 I'm not sure if the variables are the same, however I encourage to do it and try to get your limits higher in Throttlestop under the TPL tab, if they don't work you can simply turn off the laptop, remove battery, hold power for not sure if 10 secs or a min, open it and remove CMOS battery for 1 min, your BIOS will be back to default, I'll check what boot configuration you have as mine wasn't as stock config, therefore I couldn't boot to Windows until I modified it to what it was.

(I stopped using XTU for it's buggyness, TS is also buggy but by far better, just restart the program if it's not working and done)

Cheers!

Thanks for answer, i tought the post was dead.

Temps are around 50-60°C in normal use and 75 in stress test, before repaste it reached 93 degrees.

Yes the CLT is in XTU, actually there is no option to modify current limit, just says "yes" or "no". In TS (here is where i saw the 84A) appears the option but i cant change it, its locked.

I have restarted bios before, the default settings on performance are everything enable, HT, all cores, speed step, turbo boost and c state.

The lap came with BIOS A19 i updated it to A26.

I bought one from ebay, the cosmetics are great, however the screen has 3 dead pixels, decided not to return it since it is in a very good condition...

My screen has a resolution of 1366x768, Later on, I want to replace my screen with another 1366x768 panel....

what is the part number for this screen ? should i look at 40-pin or 30-pin ? 

On 3/19/2019 at 12:01 AM, LuisVillalon said:

Thanks for answer, i tought the post was dead.

Temps are around 50-60°C in normal use and 75 in stress test, before repaste it reached 93 degrees.

Yes the CLT is in XTU, actually there is no option to modify current limit, just says "yes" or "no". In TS (here is where i saw the 84A) appears the option but i cant change it, its locked.

I have restarted bios before, the default settings on performance are everything enable, HT, all cores, speed step, turbo boost and c state.

The lap came with BIOS A19 i updated it to A26.

You need to do this (last section TPL removing power limits: BIOS (NVRAM) variables are sort of universal, sometimes the value for the variable itself it's not, i.e the vars values for the M6800/M4800 are about 2/3 the same than the E6440 and E5430, but some of the values are completely different, though variables are the same (the functions or commands are the same, only the code or identifier changes) so I'm not that sure if these are the right ones for your system, I suggest you to try those variables BUT always do setup_var VAR before setup_var VAR DV (refer to spoiler below) so you can know if a var is active and if so what's its default value, to reverse you can just remove CMOS battery or re-edit the vars to their original values. If the vars aren't right and therefore you can't remove TPL, you'd need to dump your BIOS as shown on this post, my system wouldn't let me dump the BIOS at first, in order to do so I had to modify the lock BIOS variable (that one is universal), also after unlocking it you need to use the FTK from this download that is on the post quoted below, finish doing what Atonus says and then head back to the NVRAM editor with your variables and flash them.

It felt like RE2 puzzles on hardcore to make it all work since the laptop is old and a few bunch of links are dead, I semi-bricked it like 3 times and whatnot.

But now it let's me OC my CPU to 4ghz with GPU usage if temperatures allow me lol

Though I only OC that far when encoding something, won't go above 85C

Spoiler

On 1/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, pinkyfloo said:

I'm gonna answer to my previous questions and post some information for -hopefully- posterity, as there are some older posts quoting some dead links, I've digged on these subjects and found the most reliable and easy methods to do so, this is a great machine, it can stand for non-gaming battle all through 2019, I'll be updating this post over time.

As a note, right now the i7 4930MX is sitting at 183 Euros on Aliexpress (they price it on EUR), the 4940MX is around 300, and it's only 100MHz faster, so best price-performance relationship as of early Jan 2019 is 4930MX

Edit 1: First batch of info:

Thermal issues

Reveal hidden contents

I've managed to extend NTH1 cooling activity by leaving the paste curate (repaste, boot up, TSBench 1024 4 Threads Twice [takes about 6 mins each pass on 4600M Stock], Shut down for 1 hour, then normal use.

I'm using a cheap fan under the laptop as well, temperaures have been sitting around 48-52 idle with Clock modulation on, on Power Saving goes almost 45C, during load has peaks of 90-94 AT MOST, before used to be 97C PROCHOT (slight throttle to avoid TJuction) and around 105 on the GPU (CRITICAL TEMP)

I DO NOT RECOMMEND NOCTUA NT-H1 for this laptop, to me it seems that there's a gap between heatsink and CPU/GPU Die. The Paste's consitency is great for high pressure mouunting systems, however that's not the case in most laptops.

Planning on buying either liquid metal or Kryonaut, if I ever get the liquid metal I'll probably be following the liquid metal apply guide by verei at NotebookReview: ThrottleStop - Overclocking Dell Precision M6800, I will update on this later on.

UPDATE:  as of March 27, 2019 I can confirm that Kryonaut has the right consistency and thermal capability for this laptop, have been playing Skyrim SE, GTA V, Resident Evil 2 REmake, RE7, doing 1080p production on After Effects, never hitting that anything above 88 for the CPU and 97 for the GPU (Only RE2, most games won't go over 90C, also tMax for 8690M is 105C) also my tests before were made during winter, now it's almost Spring and we are reaching almost 30c ambient here, also I'm not using any mat or external cooling but I'm on a 2-Core 4600M

I'm waiting for this Kootek Chill Mat 5 I ordered, it stands as the best cooler out there on several tests, reducing up to 30C internal temps, yes you read right 30C.

I opted in for a 4 5.5-Inch fans cooling mat, again from Kootek as the previous Chill Mat 5 was heavily damaged upon arrival to customs and they refunded it. Still waiting for it.

But I'm thinking heavily about this OPOLAR Laptop Vacuum Fan, I'd suggest everyone to look at it but can't really recommend it as I haven't bought it, their concept is far better than chill mats IMO though, and I prolly get one and combine it with a mat if I ever upgrade to a MQ CPU.

Turbo Power Limits (TPL) - Removing CPU TDP Limits

In order to modify CPU TDP and Current constraints we need to modify the BIOS, the most reliable, fast and easy method is to use a NVRAM editor (Notice that if you want to reset these values to default you should either re-do the process entering the default values or remove your CMOS battery)

As of 2019 FTK8 gave me Error 201 with BIOS from A02 to A23 and wouldn't dump the bios, as the variables are already known, we're gonna skip this part of the process used by Atonus (WORKAROUND AVAILABLE)

Reveal hidden contents

It turns out that Dell did indeed turn of any RAID settings and hid it from the common user. Or rather didn't make it visible. What you have to do to enable RAID on the Dell Latitude E6440 is:

- Download https://www.sendspace.com/<wbr>file/bouk3i

It's a flash toolkit by Intel with additional batch scripts mostly for Asus boards. You can use fptw to dump your current or flash a new BIOS.
- Extract it to C:\. The new path should be "C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows"

You can extract it, where you want. However, it will be easier to handle the next steps, if it is C:\.
- Start > type "cmd" > right click > Open as Administrator.

You need full rights to run fptw.exe
- Type "cd C:\FTK8_0.11\Windows" to change your current directory to the toolkit folder

- Type "fptw.exe -D backup.rom -BIOS"

This command will create a dump (-D) of the BIOS section (-BIOS) to the file backup.rom. The Management Engine section for example is read/write protected, so it won't be possible to do a full dump.
Then you can open the dump with "UEFITool" (just search for it on Google), then search for and extract the module SetupPrep, when you find it, run it trough the "Universal IFR extractor" which will generate a text document of the input. I attached my text document down below so that you can compare. SetupPrep IFR.txt

The interesting part is in my case in line 2030. It tells us the name of the setting ("RAID0"), the hexadecimal address in the NVRAM (0x19D) and its possible values (0 - Disabled/ 1 - Enabled).

Reveal hidden contents

WORKAROUND

Head to Next Spolier

In order to do so you need to download This NVRAM Editor, paste the EFI folder on the root of a FAT32 USB Stick, reboot, F12, boot from UEFI USB stick, once in there we're going to use Atonus's BIOS variables, As well I used those in the post that verei quotes on his guide.

Once in GRUB in the NVRAM Editor type:
setup_var VAR DV

Where:

VAR is the Variable I.E. 0xC9A or 0x54

DV is Desired Value I.E. 0x0 or 0x1

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x0 to Disable Package Power Limit

setup_var 0xC9A 0x1 to Enable Package Power Limit

If you do:

setup_var VAR, the output will show you the current value of that variable in the form of 0x0X

where X is the value (0x01, 0x03, 0x00, etc)

Examples:

setup_var 0xC9A

output will be something like:

setup_var 0xC9A 0x00

Atonus's Variables - RED Means TARGET, BLACK Means Default Value

I Can CONFIRM, after dumping the BIOS's that these are right up to A23

Reveal hidden contents

CPU TDP Variables

Reveal hidden contents

Package Power Limit Lock - Variable: 0xC9A