On 6/15/2016 at 0:01 PM, carbotaniuman said:

How do I know the E6440 I buy is the new eDP model?

Take the back cover off. Remove the LCD cable from the motherboard and you should see either EDP or LVDS in white print below the connector on the motherboard.

Hello gents,

This is a very helpful thread, I am planning on doing the eGPU tweak myself.

I am kindly asking you for some Information only partially related to this though.

I have a 2014 E6440, FHD + AMD8690GPU whose cooler just died. I cannot seem to locate the part to buy it, or at least not in Europe. I Need AT0VH002ZCL (this would be the part number).  Where the heck can I buy it?

Thanks, and sorry if i hijacked the thread.

4 hours ago, bleh said:

Hello gents,

This is a very helpful thread, I am planning on doing the eGPU tweak myself.

I am kindly asking you for some Information only partially related to this though.

I have a 2014 E6440, FHD + AMD8690GPU whose cooler just died. I cannot seem to locate the part to buy it, or at least not in Europe. I Need AT0VH002ZCL (this would be the part number).  Where the heck can I buy it?

Thanks, and sorry if i hijacked the thread.

You can just go onto ebay and search for "e6440 dgpu fan" and the whole heatsink plus fan assembly is like 12 dollars. 

17 hours ago, Muezick said:

You can just go onto ebay and search for "e6440 dgpu fan" and the whole heatsink plus fan assembly is like 12 dollars. 

Sadly there are only two sellers for the heatsink+cooler i Need, and both are located in the US.

I Need a way to find it in Europe at least, since buying it from the US would mean i have to pay Transport fees that cost as much as the part..

• 1 month later...

Hello Friends,

I have problem with my E6440. I`m DJing in Bulgaria. I have high DPC Latency while changing screen brightness with the keyboard shortcut (FN + up or down). The latency is more than 10 000 mikroseconds. So i have tried with older intel gpu driver or without driver too - there is no difference. Without GPU driver the latency is here by pushing the brightness keys, but brightness stays same without change. This is strange. There is latency by using the wireless but i will change the wifi card. This was the solution with my dell E6510. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but have used it and this thread, as a guest, to build my E6440. I bought it refurb on Ebay and have made my upgrades.

Specs:

Intel Core i7 4810MQ

AMD HD 8690 dGPU

Kingston Hyper X Impact 16GB DDR3L RAM

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

EC Slot Retrofit

1920x1080p FHD

After installing the 4810MQ I set everything in ThrottleStop as suggested in the thread.  I've had the laptop for a few months but haven't had time to run some new video editing software until today.  I put in a 20 sec clip, slowed it down to 50%, did some stabilization and set it to render at 1920x1080p.  When it reached 100% the computer froze then BSOD.  Since then I've run the TS Bench, Windows Experience, and even tried just using the software without render and have received BSOD each time.  I've tried adjusting the parameters but no help.  

Original setup was only an offset voltage to -70mV when I got the first BSOD

I then tried variations up to -80MV, Overclock to 36, Disable Turbo, Set Multiplier to 32T the TS Bench ran 100sec slower but it was stable up until I ran the software again.  

I'm a little nervous now that I keep getting the BSOD after never having it the past few months.  Then again, the most I've done is run Photoshop and Illustrator, but it was blazing fast even with large files.  

Any ideas to make it run safely?

Update:

I began stepping back the offset to determine the best stability.  I settled on -60mV with multiplier of 33.  This has held the system stable thus far and produced good test results.  I've run some 2k video production and had no issues, runs great.  

While running through different setups I had considered that the drivers being out of date could cause the BSOD.  I tried auto update through the device manager but it kept saying that the drivers were up to date despite being from 2009.  I checked through intel and windows but the downloads didn't work.  Eventually I figured out that dell's resources work the best, clearly.  I found the appropriate drivers for Intel HD graphics 4600 and for the AMD Radeon 8690M from 2016 and 2015 respectively.  This unlocked my ability to run the windows experience rater which was previously unavailable due to inability to determine video output.  I updated some chipset drivers also.  If you're unsure whether your stuff is out of date then you can easily run the dell system detect and the system will auto detect then download and install.  Dell's support website is actually pretty good. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just thinking out loud...

I have currently an i7-4702MQ on board. Does it make any sense to swap it for 4800MQ or 4810MQ?

I mean, would there be any noticeable performance increase, given a need for undervolting the 48xx CPUs in order to reduce TDP?

On 6/12/2014 at 10:12 AM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Link is inactive... Can I still find the content somewhere?

Edited by Grzegorz

12 hours ago, Grzegorz said:

Just thinking out loud...

I have currently an i7-4702MQ on board. Does it make any sense to swap it for 4800MQ or 4810MQ?

I mean, would there be any noticeable performance increase, given a need for undervolting the 48xx CPUs in order to reduce TDP?

Link is inactive... Can I still find the content somewhere?

Don't know why it disappeared off here. Found an archive at http://web.archive.org/web/20150829044909/http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html

I'd say stick with the i7-4702MQ. Dell E6440's cooling system isn't up to dissipating the heat if try to increase UEFI TDP values of the i7-4800MQ processors to allow function in their upper multipliers.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm may have just screwed up big time... I've been using my e6440 with eGPU for over 6 months now and I love it. Recently, I was cleaning my desk and swapping monitors when a small piece of debris must have fallen into my E-Port Plus dock for my laptop and I didn't noticed it when I re-docked my laptop. I don't recall having to use additional force when I docked, but I seem to have crushed the debris between the pins for the dock and the port on the laptop, while dislocating/breaking 3 pins on the dock and 1 pin on the laptop port... I didn't notice the damage on the laptop as it's very, very small, so this evening I brought home a replacement dock from work (Perk of senior position in IT) and that's when I noticed the damaged pin on my laptop. 

I have my laptop VERY carefully docked right now just to see how much the one pin messed up and nothing seems to be broken... My laptop is charging and all my USB devices seem fine... Does anyone know the pinout for the docking port on this thing? Are certain ports mapped to certain pins? I'm trying to assess the damage I've done, but I haven't been able to find much yet and I'd really like to avoid replacing the board as this time (Just bought new monitors and mount...)

TL;DR: Broke my docking port, looking for pinout/help;

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

I have an E6440 with a bad igpu motherboard. I'm looking to replace and wondered if anyone has successfully replaced their igpu motherboard with a dgpu motherboard? If so, would I need to purchase anything else other than the e6440 dgpu fan? From the research I've done it seems I can use the same CPU. Just not sure if the housing is designed or sized differently in a way that would prevent such a replacement. Would you have a preference between the two dgpu boards available?

Hi.

I have E6440 - iGPU version, 4702MQ, 8GB RAM Win 7 x64 and eGPU - PE4L 2.1b, GTX570. I can't force it to use 1.2Opt. When I plug adapter when system is working it goes only on 1.1Opt. When I boot with eGPU on it stops on black screen after windows animation or when it pass this, system detects eGPU with no error but it's working on iGPU, GPU-Z shows only card model and rest is 0 (Memory Size 0 MB, CPU Clock 0 MHz etc). I tried on A02 and A16 bios, on both same reaction.

I have also HP 8460p and I have no problem with 1.2Opt, it's just working every time on the same adapter and card.

I also bought Setup 1.35 and when I boot with eGPU on it shows 1.2 but after reboot to Windows laptop is working on iGPU only even when eGPU is detected.

GPU-Z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, in 2 weeks time a friend is giving me a Latitude E6440 BTX with the following specs:

• AMD Radeon HD 8690M Graphics 2 GB GDDR5
  • Windows 7 Professional (64Bit)
  • 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
  • 180Gb SSD
  • 8Gb DDR3 Dual Channel
  • 4th gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300M
  • 14.0 inch HD+(1600x900) Anti-G lare LED-backlit

Starting September I'll be using this E6440 as my laptop for school so I need it to have the longest battery life possible and as quiet as possible.

I've read through this thread + others and it seems that the E6640 suffers from loud fan noise due to incorrect CPU throttling and inefficient fan management.

So I plan to undertake the following;

1. Install a utility to undervolt the CPU (XTU? ThrottleStop?)

2. Install a utility to lower fan speed (SpeedFan?)

3. clean the HSFs for the CPU and GPU

4. replace the thermal paste between the he HSFs for the CPU and GPU (90° alcohol + Arctic Silver 5?)

Do you think that these are the best and simplest solutions?

If not, why?

Many thanks,

Edited by domokun

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Should I still get an e6440 or have you all moved on to bigger and better things? There's quite a few models on eBay with the 1600x900 screen and an i7 4600M for not a lot of money so I'm quite tempted!

Do all models have the expresscard slot as I would be quite interested in using an eGPU as the dGPU models seem very rare in Europe.

Cheers

[edit] I can see that this forum is kinda inactive right now. Does that mean everyone has moved on to a new laptop?

Edited by Crosshash

12 hours ago, Crosshash said:

Hi guys.

Should I still get an e6440 or have you all moved on to bigger and better things? There's quite a few models on eBay with the 1600x900 screen and an i7 4600M for not a lot of money so I'm quite tempted!

Do all models have the expresscard slot as I would be quite interested in using an eGPU as the dGPU models seem very rare in Europe.

Cheers

[edit] I can see that this forum is kinda inactive right now. Does that mean everyone has moved on to a new laptop?

If they suits your needs it can be a nice option. But not all of them have expresscard. Necessary parts to add the port are listed on the first post.
There is plenty of good models being sold used such as M4800/M4700 or Zbook 15 if you want more power.
Most of the egpu users are on egpu-io right now.

Edited by 3RYL

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

I still think the e6440 is a very low cost good performing laptop even in year 2017 and next year.

Prices have come down even more recently. $300 range now for a nice 2nd hand laptop.

And for guys like us who enjoy upgrading, opening up a laptop device, tinkering, cleaning it and replace parts, its true one of the best.

For the price, CPU power and the fact that it is FHD capable for that year, its a great option.

I'm about to do a motherboard swap to get the amd GPU. i hope i can find all the information here :)

• 1 month later...

Just got my hands on a dGPU E6440 off eBay for a great price. It came with i5 CPU so looking to do a quick upgrade to an i7 quad. I plan to use this laptop as a secondary machine for casual gaming (WOW mostly) and web browsing etc.

This thread has lots of useful info, but I'm a bit confused as I'm new to techniques addressing TDP limiting, and the link posted in this thread that details it is no longer working. So I have no idea or pointers on how to even do that.

I do not plan to overclock, just run the highest possible CPU at stock without any complicated mods, just some Artic Silver thermal paste.

Can anyone tell me definitively if I can upgrade to i7-4700MQ or i7-4800MQ without hitting any TDP limits while gaming with dGPU, without doing any additional mods besides swapping CPU?

Thanks!