Hey guys. I've been trying to get a GTX 570 to work with my 6440 for a few days now. So far, the card  shows up in device manager with status "device is working properly." I can't find any issues with it, though my system will not detect any external monitors attached to the card, nor do I see it showing up anywhere but device manager. If I install the latest nvidia drivers, the card displays and error 43 in device manager. This is my first attempt at such a setup, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something painfully obvious or not. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had anybody got their USB 3 ports working on E6440? I've been searching and found this text from the Dell forum:

After many months fighting with DELL , from loading different drivers, to newer bios. I reloaded windows completely, i have tried factory defaults, nothing worked, DELL came out and replaced the system board twice. still to no avail. failure..

FINALLY!  DELL agreed to replaced the entire laptop.  I received a "REFURBISHED" laptop with RMA.

I Have plugged in all 3.0 USB ports with USB 3.0 devices , its been days now and no issues. all 3 work flawlessly! no drop outs, no hiccups.  My old laptop was REV 1.0 on the system board  this one is REV 2.0

IF your laptop is under warranty..  DEMAND a replacement. as this was the ONLY fix i found.

My MOBO is rev 0.

Anybody has similar problems?

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2016 at 11:40 PM, CrzyGK said:

Hey guys. I've been trying to get a GTX 570 to work with my 6440 for a few days now. So far, the card  shows up in device manager with status "device is working properly." I can't find any issues with it, though my system will not detect any external monitors attached to the card, nor do I see it showing up anywhere but device manager. If I install the latest nvidia drivers, the card displays and error 43 in device manager. This is my first attempt at such a setup, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something painfully obvious or not. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

So, now I have the same setup and it works sometimes. I have Setup 1.30 configured to disable dGPU and initialize the eGPU. About once every 12 reboots or so, it works fine, but most of the time it does the exact same thing, just with my dGPU not showing up in device manager. Also, occasionally if I uninstall and reinstall video drivers for the eGPU when it isn't working, it will begin working until the next reboot or sleep cycle. I can't get it to reliably do the same thing twice in a row, so this is getting rather frustrating to troubleshoot... 

Has anyone had similar experiences at all? I can't find any posts anywhere that sounds like the same issue. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had issues using a PE4C at Gen 2 with their 6440 (BIOS is A02). I have an issue where if I set my eGPU to Gen 2, it will only work about once every 12+ reboots (But when it works, it works great). If I set it to Gen 1, it works all day, every day with everything I throw at it. I was thinking it might not actually be running at Gen 2 when I thought it was, but there is a noticeable and reproducible difference in benchmark scores. Has anyone had a similar experience? (Also running latest nvidia drivers and I have tried multiple versions) (Running with a GTX 570, but this is reproducible with multiple cards) Thanks!

After running into a brick wall for RAM on my pimped out WUXGA Dell Latitude D830 (just not economic to buy 4gb DDR2 SODIMMS!!! -- >$50 a piece on eBay, and I'd still be left with a mostly obsolete laptop in need of a new LCD), I just bought one of these, "refurb", for $300 with a pretty decent configuration including the 1080p display, and i5-4310M CPU.   Was trying to buy an E6430, but the laptops on eBay with 1600x900 screens were so run down and being bid to stratospheric levels that I jumped on the chance to buy a decent refurb 1080p E6440 when I found one.   So I'm guaranteed to be on eDP.

I notice that the new Latitude E7470 has a 1440p LCD option.  Since the E7440/E7450 screen is retro-fittable into the eDP versions of the E6440, might it be possible to have a 1440p-screen equipped E6440? 

But on that note, just the ability to swap screens is quite interesting, as one could buy a E7450 with the cheap 1366x766 screen (or a dead screen) a couple years from now, and swap the 1080p screen in place.  Opens up a lot of doors, that's for sure. 

Basically four questions at the moment:

a)  My WWAN card (Sierra Wireless  MC7700) has provisions for an active GPS antenna.  I modded my D830 to include a GPS antenna by routing it into the PCMCIA slot and dremelling out a chunk of the handrest.  Any similar place to do so on the E6440? 

b. )  Can anyone contemplate getting a second set of WLAN antennas into the laptop?  I'd like to install a second WLAN card into the 3rd miniPCI-E slot.   

c)  Despite all my Google searches, I haven't been able to find anyone claiming to have hooked one of these laptops up to 4K (3840x2160) display(s).  Can you?  Intel says the HD4600 supports it "in theory", but I've never encountered anyone actually doing so through the docking station. 

d)  No chance of adding a 56k Fax/modem, right?  The E6400/10/20/30 support this, but I can't see any provision in the E6440. 

Edited by Mark77

On 4/4/2016 at 10:30 PM, CrzyGK said:

Has anyone had issues using a PE4C at Gen 2 with their 6440 (BIOS is A02). I have an issue where if I set my eGPU to Gen 2, it will only work about once every 12+ reboots (But when it works, it works great). If I set it to Gen 1, it works all day, every day with everything I throw at it. I was thinking it might not actually be running at Gen 2 when I thought it was, but there is a noticeable and reproducible difference in benchmark scores. Has anyone had a similar experience? (Also running latest nvidia drivers and I have tried multiple versions) (Running with a GTX 570, but this is reproducible with multiple cards) Thanks!

I figured this one out. Turns out my GTX 570 was the problem the whole time. I upgraded to a GTX960 and I've yet to see any issues running at Gen 2 speeds.

Hello Everybody

Just got an e6440. I am wondering if it is possible for me to add wireless video capability to it by carrying around something to connect to a TV or monitor. Miracast or something like that. I notice it has two WiFi mini card slots, can something be installed there to facilitate this?

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, Rixsta said:

Anyone know if this laptop is confirmed Sata III msata?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Can Confirm, was getting sata 3 speeds on my 840 evo before I sold it.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's so good! Now I just have to find one for sale with an I7 and or 1080p resolution..Not so easy here in UK. :(

I suppose I could upgrade to one later? As I'm ok taking the machine apart I'd the CPU is replaceable? From I5 to I7

Google "e6440 Repair Manual" and download the PDF from Dell's website. Read through it. 

It's I think...7 screws to remove the heat sink, a twist ofn an 8th screw and the CPU is out. 

Clean both surfaces of the heat sink and CPU gently with 90% iso and apply thermal paste and reassemble.

One great thing about business class laptops is how easy they are to work on. 

I'd buy what ever one you can find for the cheapest you can find, and then buy the parts separate. Then again, you might just get a good deal. ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone know if this laptop is confirmed Sata III msata?

Can Confirm, was getting sata 3 speeds on my 840 evo before I sold it.

840 EVO I'll try find it :) Msata is my plan aha I only need 64 or 128gb

Google "e6440 Repair Manual" and download the PDF from Dell's website. Read through it. 

It's I think...7 screws to remove the heat sink, a twist ofn an 8th screw and the CPU is out. 

Clean both surfaces of the heat sink and CPU gently with 90% iso and apply thermal paste and reassemble.

One great thing about business class laptops is how easy they are to work on. 

I'd buy what ever one you can find for the cheapest you can find, and then buy the parts separate. Then again, you might just get a good deal. [emoji6] 

Thanks for that.. Yes looks fairly easy and shall be a fun upgrade.

Interesting to note that I see many E6430 with I7 in but not many E6440 I wonder if that's a heat thing?

The HP 8560w is another business class laptop workstation that looks pretty well built have been thinking about that laptop over the E6440 until I realised that one's Msata is limited to Sata III

12 hours ago, Rixsta said:

Hey do you think this is the best SSD Msata to get for this laptop?

No, but it's the most common, probably has the best warranty and is most cost effective. There are better msata ssds but they are expensive.

Just got the Evo 850 250gb msata and the laptop boots perfecto! right away after windows installation :)
Does anyone know if you can still use the sim card slot having taken out the wwan card to put in msata SSD ?
Perhaps you can get mini half size wwan that will work with E6440

I just added an EC slot to my gf's E6440 to try to get an external GTX960 to work for a Blender render performance boost.

I haven't gotten it to work yet and was wondering if you could give me a hint on how to get it working.

The eGPU adapter I'm using is an EXP GDC Beast V8.0 with Dell DA-2.

GPU-z HD4600

r8h.png

TOLUD with 16GB ram
BF200000 2.75GB?

The GTX960 shows working in device manager when hotplugging - but doesn't ouptut anything to the attached screen.

Edited by exco

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2016 at 1:33 PM, exco said:

I just added an EC slot to my gf's E6440 to try to get an external GTX960 to work for a Blender render performance boost.

I haven't gotten it to work yet and was wondering if you could give me a hint on how to get it working.

The eGPU adapter I'm using is an EXP GDC Beast V8.0 with Dell DA-2.

GPU-z HD4600

r8h.png

TOLUD with 16GB ram
BF200000 2.75GB?

The GTX960 shows working in device manager when hotplugging - but doesn't ouptut anything to the attached screen.

Does this one have the dGPU? If so, you should disable it before booting with eGPU.

Does anyone have a specific nvidia driver version that they would recommend? I have recently been having issues with "Nvidia drivers have stopped responding" and it seems to be a driver issue. I've tried multiple versions with varying levels of success. Right now, I have the latest 368.22 and it has not been going well. I was using 358.50 for several weeks and I have only been crashing 1-2 times per week. It seems the newer versions I try, the worse it gets. Anyone have a suggestion for this?

Windows 10 Pro x64

GTX 960

BPlus PE4C V3.0

Currently running with dGPU disabled