Delete the CPU devices in your Device Manager. Then restart and allow Windows to PnP the devices. Ensure you have a battery attached then use Throttlestop to run a 32M bench and observe your highest multiplier when all 4 cores (8 threads) are active.

It's 2,3GHz, with <22W TDP.

When I turn the Turbo off, it does 2,4GHz and 22,9W.

I don't understand this...

I had a 4700MQ before with an iGPU E6440 and it did ~2,8GHz untouched.

Thank you darkydark :)

Am I correct in seeing that your internal display is 1366x768 and the external TV is 1920x1080?

It's really good to see that the game benchmarks are about the same in fps!

Final question (for now): Does your laptop support 5 Gbps through the Expresscard slot?

Kind regards

Larmy

Yes, E5430 sports PCIe 2.0 EC slot - 5gbps - but i3 3110M was a serious bottleneck for 760 i tested it with, also yes, internal screen is 1366x768. Its my GFs notebook and if i even mention eGPU in the same context as her laptop she gets "i'm gonna cut of your balls if you touch it again" look :D

if you click on the #2 and #3 links in my signature you can see some more numbers and graphs to get a better understanding of how eGPU performs in few games where i have tested it.

@ nando - i'm still waiting for my boss to decide how we will publish translated eGPU articles and as soon as i know anything i will hit you with links. They might come in handy for newcomers to get some idea of how eGPU works as entire process was a bit overwhelming even for me who works IT for a living :)

• Thumbs Up 2

An alternative eGPU solution

The E6440 system with the iGPU has not locked down the dGPU port. It can be enabled using the Setup 1.30 software.

Now the Northbridge hosting the dGPU runs off the CPU. While I don't have the E6440 schematic, the ZBOOK 17 schematic clearly shows the PEG (dGPU) lines leading from the CPU on pg4. The ZBook 17 also uses a QM87 chipset and Intel Haswell CPU.

Only thing missing then is an interposer board between the CPU socket and CPU that routes out the PEG (dGPU) lines. If can come up with one then could route x4 2.0 wires directly to a BPlus PE4H PCIe adapter OR to a custom board with a Thunderbolt chip on it and a thunderbolt port. The ZBook 17 schematic shows how to interface a Thunderbolt board.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping someone can clarify for me. Concerning replacing/upgrading the LCD panel, I went through all 11 pages of posts and I see references to part numbers but not how to identify the MB. From what I understand the rev.1 didn't support 1080p but rev.2 does. Is there somewhere in Device Manager or bios that I can look or is there something specific on the MB that I need to look for to determine what I have?

From what I read it looks like you have to order the LCD panel and LCD cable separately yes?

Hoping someone can clarify for me. Concerning replacing/upgrading the LCD panel, I went through all 11 pages of posts and I see references to part numbers but not how to identify the MB. From what I understand the rev.1 didn't support 1080p but rev.2 does. Is there somewhere in Device Manager or bios that I can look or is there something specific on the MB that I need to look for to determine what I have?

From what I read it looks like you have to order the LCD panel and LCD cable separately yes?

Look up your system's hardware configuration listed by part numbers based on it's support tag at Support | Dell US . Specifically, drill down on your LCD, systemboard and the video cable comparing against known part numbers we have for the video cable. As I understand it, the 1st series board will use LVDS so can have either HD or HD+ resolution LCD. The 2nd series systemboard uses eDP so can have attached a HD or FHD LCD.

7MGPK - ASSY CBL LVDS HD+ E6440

W5JMV - ASSY CBL LVDS HD E6440

THRH4 - EDP cable

Or against the LCD part numbers:

M4RTT LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 14.0HD+, WLED, FLAT, AG, AU OPTRONICS CORP

93V4H LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, 14.0HDF, WLED, FLAT, AG, SECONDARY

M1WHV - FHD lcd AUO AHVA eDP

If have eDP HD then you won't need to order a new cable, just upgraded your LCD.

If have LVDS HD then yes, you need to upgrade to the HD+ LVDS (dual-channel) cable and upgrade your LCD to HD+.

In either case, the LCD can be obtained from third party sources once you know what model you need.

So the Display that shipped is RD70P Liquid Crystal Display, 140HDF, WLED, FLAT, AG, LEGEND

The only cable listed is WYXN3 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, FLEXIBLE FLAT CIRCUIT/CONDUCTOR, KILOBYTE, HF, E6440

I don't see anything else listed. Is there a part # and/or rev. # on the MB that I can look for?

So the Display that shipped is RD70P Liquid Crystal Display, 140HDF, WLED, FLAT, AG, LEGEND

The only cable listed is WYXN3 ASSEMBLY, CABLE, FLEXIBLE FLAT CIRCUIT/CONDUCTOR, KILOBYTE, HF, E6440

I don't see anything else listed. Is there a part # and/or rev. # on the MB that I can look for?

Your LCD is coming up as LVDS at NEW 14 0 HD LED Display Screen Panel Matte AG FOR Dell DP N RD70P 0RD70P | eBay . I was expecting it to be the case since FHD/eDP is the newer more expensive product.

Hi guys, i was thinking in buying an used FHD E7440 and looking for information about it, i found this forum which i think it's great!. But now, reading about how customizable the E6440 is, looks like a better option, but for me the FHD is a must (or a whim (: ), so ...

Anyone knows how i can recognize a second generation E6440?.

Second generation E6440 come only without expresscard? And first generation with and without?

Thinking in eGPU and FDH at the future, if my only option is a first generation E6440, the best option it's with dGPU or not? or it's a must? I ask this because reading komoornik post:

"N23JF - discrete motherboard with EDP" What does discrete motherboard mean? Mean a motherboard without GPU? Ie needs dGPU?.

"Funny thing there's no camera connector on motherboard with EDP." Mean that second generation comes only without frontal camera?

And finally where can i buy this parts? I can´t find anything in google or ebay.

Thanks!

I've posted part number for motherboard with dGPU, but there are iGPU versions too.

No, camera is available but it's connected via eDP directly not separate connector.

You can buy those parts directly from Dell.

Is there only 1 MB or is there a rev.2 that I need to have? Can I just get the cable and LCD? I don't want to harass but I'm confused.

No, you can't. The older version of motherboard got only LVDS connector, the newer only eDP connector.

I've posted part number for motherboard with dGPU, but there are iGPU versions too.

No, camera is available but it's connected via eDP directly not separate connector.

You can buy those parts directly from Dell.

@komoornik thanks for answering! Finally i have bought a E6440 and looking at the hardware using the service tag, it has the same LCD panel that @williamt31, so its a first generation, anyway i was expecting to be that and i am very happy with it.

I am going to ask Dell by phone about the parts, because i have no results when i search in the web, anyway i think its going to be expensive to buy from Dell, if it is, i think i am going to upgrade just to HD+.

Hi,

Where can I find the compatible keyboard product-codes for E6440 ?

I need to order a backlit GREEK keyboard with pointer to replace the German keyboard.

I search ebay and cannot find anything. Is there a list of compatible produces & codes ?

Hi,

Where can I find the compatible keyboard product-codes for E6440 ?

I need to order a backlit GREEK keyboard with pointer to replace the German keyboard.

I search ebay and cannot find anything. Is there a list of compatible produces & codes ?

Try looking for Dell pn 0H439R like this. AFAIK a E6430 keyboard is compatible with the E6440: Dell Latitude E6430 E6420 Greek Ellinas Pliktrologio Keyboard Windows 8 39R LW | eBay

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, first post here. I'm about to change the 4300M for a 4900mq. I've gone thru all the 12 pages and I think that since the 4900mq is 47W I should be "ok" without mods to the voltage or multiplier but you must know better then me. Do you have any piece of advice for the swap?

My display is the HD only and the Intel 4600 so I small heat-sink.

Nando I could post my results if you find them useful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Red

Hello guys, first post here. I'm about to change the 4300M for a 4900mq. I've gone thru all the 12 pages and I think that since the 4900mq is 47W I should be "ok" without mods to the voltage or multiplier but you must know better then me. Do you have any piece of advice for the swap?

My display is the HD only and the Intel 4600 so I small heat-sink.

Nando I could post my results if you find them useful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Red

i7-4900MQ will not get to run it's maximum performance in a E6440 due to walling out because of TDP and temperature throttling.

Anything more than a i7-4800MQ isn't going to see it's higher multipliers utilitized. Even then it's marginal with perhaps a i7-4710MQ being the best suited CPU for the 14" chassis.

Furthermore, the i7-4800MQ or i7-4710MQ are usually considerably less expensive than a i7-4900MQ. The money saved could be put towards a FHD LCD retrofit which will give noticably better performance.

REF: http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/6958-haswell-step-backwards-ivy-bridge-i-have-some-shocking-tdp-results.html

Then again, I'd suggest not spending too much on this platform. 12nm Skylake should be released within a year and bring with it many notebooks wit USB-C Thunderbolt2 connectors. They'll provide Intel approved eGPU solutions in a thin-and-light chassis. In which case, a basic i7-4700MQ would do the job.

Hi,

This post is regarding EGPU issues, using pe4c 3.0. I am not sure if I should post this here.

Everytime, I am able to boot without using setup 1.x, windows will show the error video_tdr_error with BSOD.

When I checked with GPU-Z countless times, it showed pcie 3.0 x 16 @ x1 1.1.

Had to rely on esetup 1.3 to retain my link although it is already x 1.2 in esetup.

Thereafter, I am able to use the egpu without any flaws.

When I checked with GPU-Z this time, it showed pcie 2.0 x 16 @ x1 1.1.

I have tried the following, but to no avail:

- Reinstall windows

- Reinstall windows on another sdd

- used Driver uninstaller

- Hot plugging

- the 2 switched for delay on pe4c 3.0 and 2.0

- used pe4c 2.0

Can someone help me? I want to use the laptop without using esetup, cos I would want to do hibernation/sleep.

My system specs with mods are as follows: (Bought from igpu model with EC from ebay @ USD 420)

E6440 igpu model (Bios A12)

16 GB hyperx

i7-4700mq (Stock - Dont know how to do the TDP using trottlestop or bios or XTU)

250GB Msata Samsung EVO SSD, 500GB Sata 3 Samsung EVO SSD and 1 TB Toshiba 7200 rpm HDD

GTX 760 ASUS Platinum Striker

450W Silverstone SFX power supply

Previous with 2Gbps-EC eGPU: Fujitsu SH560 (PE4C 2.0 - eSetup 1.x) i5-540m

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Atonus and to all the other posts I read regarding E6440 Raid 0. I just got my hands on one with 1600x900 screen, AMD GPU and 180GB Intel 520 SSD. I upgraded from a E6430 its nice to see they managed to get the good old E6410 (which I still have as well :) ) form factor back. The support for 3 hard drives is really good, looking to buy an mSATA and raid with internal 2.5 SSD and then have a large spinning disk for storage.

Just for kicks though I borrowed an mSATA and raided 3 RANDOM disks together (mSATA was Crucial M500 480GB, OCZ Agility 3 120GB and Intel 520 180GB). I managed to obtain a 1200MB/s write and 1500MB/s read ... not sure how it will performin long term but for now it really is flying, obviously not the best option for redundancy but just had to try it :).

So although the benchmark ( I used ATTO) shows 1200MB write, what I did notice is that when copying a file of 5GB from the raid 0 to itself I only achieved a max of 250MB/s, I'm not sure if this is because of so many random controllers being used and all disks are different sizes so probably not the best way to go about it.

Also I tried to install OS on 120GB SSD and then copied a file between the 180GB using a caddy and I was limited to under 200MB/s. It could just be the OCZ drive which has a old sandforce controller. I'd appreciate it anyone has any input on this.

I will try to install OS to the Crucial M500 480GB mSATA drive and copy to and from Intel 180GB see if there is any improvements.

Once again thanks to everyone for an amazing forum, I really do like these dell laptops. I also have an E5430 for work which also has 2 SSD's :) ... and my old E6410 is just stuck to the TV with standard disks hehe.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

One of my friends bricked his e6440 during a BIOS update (not exactly sure how it happened).

Is there a way to do an emergency bios update (i.e. from a thumbdrive) on the motherboard so that it can made bootable again?

Regards,

Cheng Mun Wai

Hi there

Most of the time, systemboard will be finished.

However, you can try remove the battery, followed by removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. Let all residual power leave the system, and any stored BIOS configurations be removed, then try power on the system with AC only (with no CMOS battery) - this can work sometimes. I had luck doing this to an E5440.

Best of luck.

• 4 weeks later...
@Tech Inferno Fan I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the e6430 with an e6440 mobo? Any idea?

As an E6430 user I think this is almost impossible without serious modding. Even ports are the other way around

Hi Guys,

One of my friends bricked his e6440 during a BIOS update (not exactly sure how it happened).

Is there a way to do an emergency bios update (i.e. from a thumbdrive) on the motherboard so that it can made bootable again?

Regards,

Cheng Mun Wai

If this happened during a BIOS update and it is still under warranty (you can check with the Service Tag) contact Dell support and they will replace the motherboard.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I've got one of E6440. I am interested in screen update. My model equipped with 1600х900 HD+ screen. When I disassembled it i got to know that LVDS is using in my laptop. As i understand from this thread i am not able to upgrade to Full HD screen. So now the question. Is IPS 1600х900 screen compatible with e6440 exists? If it exists please post model number.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys - i just got a e6440 and fancy upgrading it a little to bring it back to the type of spec im used to

i was running a 3.6ghz 6 core system with 32gb ram - obviously i wont get to that level but i dont have the space for a desktop type system anymore

ive seen this i7 on ebay - is this one compatible? and im assuming i'll need to upgrade the cpu fan?

Intel i7-4700QM Quad Core CPU 6M Cache max 3.4 GHz SR15H 4th gen | eBay

im going to order some extra ram today too and that shhould do me for a little while.

thanks in advance

Dan

• 3 weeks later...