New PC build need opinions

So I've never own a proper desktop in my life always had labtops because im always on the go and I have a lenovo y500 kinda outdated but it still runs fine but now that I'm getting into my 3rd year as a CS major I kinda wanted to get a desktop.

So here ya go what do you think?

750 ti is a placeholder I play nothing but CS:GO right now so that card should be fine and other games at medium settings it's a placeholder for the 800 series nvidia gpu's coming out gonna get an 870 maybe an 880

still need a power supply want it to be single rail and have the optional "fan stays off at low wattage" feature

also live near a microcenter so I can get a discount on the cpu :P

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ NCIX US)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($105.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB FTW ACX Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($114.39 @ Mwave)

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.23 @ Amazon)

Total: $1489.52

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-06 23:56 EDT-0400)

• 1 month later...

I would take the Intel I7 4790k Haswell Refresh instead of the older 4770k. Better performance for almost the same price.

Also i never recommend Seagate hard drives, they have a bad reputation. WD is far superior in my opinion.

I know the GTX750 is a placeholder but I just wanted to post this in case you change your mind on the 800 series. Don't take a 750, take at least a 760 if you want a decent gaming experience.

• 2 weeks later...
I would take the Intel I7 4790k Haswell Refresh instead of the older 4770k. Better performance for almost the same price.

Also i never recommend Seagate hard drives, they have a bad reputation. WD is far superior in my opinion.

I know the GTX750 is a placeholder but I just wanted to post this in case you change your mind on the 800 series. Don't take a 750, take at least a 760 if you want a decent gaming experience.

^ this, take the i7-4790K (better thermal compound between CPU die and IHS compared to the i7-4770K) and I'm no fan of the GTX 750Ti, I would recommend a GTX 760 too or go with an R9 270X from AMD. :D

@Vezon-7:

The H100i is ok, but probably you could think about a Corsair H80i, then you will be able to mount it on the back of your case or a Corsair H110, it's possible to mount a 2x140mm on the top of the Corsair 450D.

Depends too on how far you want to go with cpu overclocking. ;)

I would recommend a powersupply with an output between 700-1000W and fully modular cable managment. :)

• 3 months later...

seems like a pretty fine build to me, only thing i would do differently is grab two 120gb SSDs in raid 0. The evo supports garbage collecting, which is good as raid usually does not play well with trim.

It might run you a few extra bucks but a SSD raid is the difference between night and day.