Khoa

Does Acer still have a bad reputation?

I work at Best Buy in the Computer and Tablets department and the general consensus between me and my co workers is that Acer has terrible build quality and is highly unreliable. However I would love to hear people who have actually owned Acers and that had the opposite to what I previously stated as I'm just looking for a budget laptop for my Dad.

In every Acer I've worked on, the cooling has been a joke. Especially on their 'top-of-the-line' systems. Cut corners everywhere. High temps = low hardware life, see how long Clevos last with their awesome cooling. Heck, I've even heard every extra 10 celsius you add halves a part's life. I can't speak much for their input methods though. Kinda average trackpads and keyboards. Build quality is cheap as possible most of the time, it seems.

New models are okey as far as I've seen :P

Take a look at the 772G model :) it's perfect with it's IPS screen and does not overheat :)

I do a large portion of the Laptop repair in my town. What I find funny is that I have near zero Acer machines to repair, regardless of the fact that they're sold by the ton at Wal-Mart, which is pretty much the only game in town to get laptops and that's what most people around here do.

The only time I ever work on Acers is to replace broken keyboards and screens, which are simply user abuse issues.

HP, on the other hand, I have to replace so many LCD cables, and with Toshiba it's screen hinges.

My last laptop was an Acer 5742G which my girlfriend is now using. Prior to that she had an old Acer. Her brother has an Acer. Her mother has an Acer. My mother has an Acer. Several of my friends all have Acers and not a problem with any of them. In fact pretty much everyone I know has one.

They also seem to be extremely easy to work on when something does get broken. LCD replacements on Acers are a breeze.

Indeed, Acer are not bad laptops at all, although they do suffer from quality issues (not so good speakers, keyboards, touchpads and so on). LCD screens are a lot better now though, like the V3-772G with its IPS panel.

I have had an acer desktop computer for years, still running but it could not say I was really happy about it.

It was a 400€ computer, the components were really cheap, the power supply ran very hot and loud during summers although nothing was really pumping.

You could have a good surprise if you choose but I wouldn't try again. Maybe their laptops are not bad but I doubt that it will resist to time.

I think Acer doesn't do well about the cooling of the laptop.

But I think V3 772G is working very well for me and I haven't got a temperature above 70 degrees when playing demanding games like Crysis 3 for about 4 hours.

Hello.

I am the owner Packard Bell TS11HR, which works on the same components as the Acer Aspire 5750g. Honestly say that after replacing the original cooling thermal paste is perhaps not such as I would expect, but it does the job (despite overclocking graphics with 200MHz). Performance is very nice, the finish will not rub off like in HP laptops. This is my third laptop Acer, and repaired them a lot more and I can safely recommend them. The most common injury caused by negligence were the users of these laptops.

These are low-cost laptops for basic computer needs. I wouldn't trust an expensive acer because like someone said earlier the cooling is a joke, they weren't built for performance. However, I do own an acer laptop and I love it; it's easy to take apart and repair, does everything I need it to do, and I only spent $50 on it (customer was throwing it away because of a broken keyboard). As far as basic web surfing and office work it is a great laptop, but its processor/ integrated graphics is weak enough that I can't even play unity games without it lagging.

I own an Acer netbook. It is a basic unit, mostly capable of office work, but what I can say is that I had it for over 8 years and it has been 100% reliable and durable.

I did not plan to use it for such a long time because I was confident it was going to break eventually, but it was a big surprise. I use it all the time, I'm a developer and an IT guy, I always carry it with me to configure networks for security installations (cameras, dvr, etc), I travel to factories in remote places and I have dropped it many times. Never had a problem, not even the HDD failed once. Last month, I replaced its HDD with an SSD unit to increase its performance and prevent any damage due to travelling.

Definitely recommended.

Personally so far I had a lot of bad experiences with Acer, cheap components and most models get hot very fast if you are running a task requiring a bit more power.

I'm with Megadace in what concerns to not trusting an expensive Acer, but I think if someone is just looking for an "office" netbook I'd recommend something like an Asus (good customer service, better quality and about the same price range for low-end netbooks).

i personally wouldnt say that they have a bad reputation, the thing is that if someone thinks that other company make better computers, well they would most likel compare asus as the worst one :s

I used to own one of their netbooks back in the day. The thing ran like absolute garbage. As for the higher end stuff, I've seen worse from companies like ASUS.