Lenovo Y510p or somthing else ?

tifozif1

Question

Hello to all my first post here !

I am thinking of buying a Lenovo Y510p (non-sli) with 755m. The price is 650Euros (all expences taxes shipping is included), about 880USDollars. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90532017/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-59400122.asp

I already have a Samsung 840Pro 256GB and one extra DDR3L 4GB to upgrade it. Should I look for something different or is it a good buy for the money.

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Greece.

I have the y510p with SLI too and didn't have had any overheating problems :-) But I had a driver problem that cause a watchdog violation error. So 5 minutes after booting the display froze and a blue screen appeared. It took me several days to solve the problem. The other thing is the weak wireless card as mentioned before. Nevertheless it's quite powerfull

there is a vbios mod for the wifi card (y500).

Honestly, I bought a y500 for $600 dollars (463 euro) and upgraded to SLI + + 16gb ram + 256gb ssd for a total of $840 (650 euro). The reason I chose 650m sli and not 755m sli is because I have ZERO overheating issues with the 650m sli.

Later on I upgraded the wifi card to dual band, no problems since.

BUT, if you are going to spend that much money, why not buy y50 ? it is gtx 860m (better than 755m sli), does not overheat and is sleeker?

Brilliant laptop, have not had problems with it (that is the non-cache version). As far as I know re wifi card and ram the bios has whitelist for the cards which work with it. So hack the bios or get item from the approved list. The hardware service manual has this info.

I have a y510p and I thought I would be happy with it. It has great specs for the money. But, when you start digging deeper, you find the trouble spots. The wireless card is utterly useless, but there is a fix (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html). The SLI wasn't working for a long time for me in Windows 8.1, but again there is a fix (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y500-SLI-is-not-working-after-Windows-8-1-upgrade/ta-p/1290403). It just seems that they didn't properly set up the machine and their support is horrible. All I can say is buyer beware.

I think Lenovo is good for the price unless you can afford a better gaming laptop that cools better.

I have the 750SLI and 1 card can run pretty hot, but don't think I've been having overheating issues since it's blowing all the hot air out.

The laptop is very quick but it has some major drawback.. Heat dissipation is not adequate and you can not control the fan. I have problems with the optimus tech playing games unless they can be optimized and launched from the nvidia launcher. The wifi card is pathetically bad and has a white list issue if you want to upgrade.. Other than that its excellent.

I agree, cause when I was researching laptops for around $1000 the setup of the y510p is what drew me to it and the price. But now 1 year later, my wireless goes out on its own and it throttles 100% occasionally and now recently it wont start up. I would like to be able to use my home phone without losing internet connection. Or not have issues with the bluetooth.

Yeah, y510p is a solid device. Only problem is that turbo boost gets disabled if the GPUs are stressed to prevent thermal throttling (I used throttlestop before to stop throttling, CPU would throttle if I set the multiplier)

I have the y510p, but it's like luck of the draw, I also know 3 others ppl owned the same machine ( I have 750m sli). My machine is fine, 2 other ppl machine, the speaker and wifi card just died. The heating is not that bad if you re-paste the cpu and gpu which I did an it hover around 80 Celcius under extreme load. You can download CPU and GPU stress test software to push it and test. I am thinking of modding the bios in case my wifi card go too.

I've purchased 4 refurbished Y510p's from a vendor on eBay. All 4 came with in-home 1-year repair warranties. Of the 4, one had a keyboard issue where the 'w' and 's' keys sometimes stuck when pressed. The keyboard was replaced and the problem was solved. The other issue was on the second machine I bought. The left speaker sounded like it had a small bead or screw or something sitting on the speaker cone. When (especially) a system noise played, it sounded like dropping a marble into a glass. Anyway, I contacted Lenovo and they sent out the repairman again with two new speakers. That didn't solve the issue so the sent him out again with a new motherboard and that solved the problem.

All 4 machines are i7, 16gb mem, sli 750m's, 1tb hhd, and a 24gb ssd. Other than the problems I mentioned, theses machines have been fantastic.

I would say that if you're going to buy one, spring for the in-home repair warranty so you don't have to ship your PC off someplace. It's also nice to actually supervise the repair. At one point I provided my repair tech with better thermal paste than the shit he was given when he swapped the motherboard.

I bought the y410p with the nvidia 750 off ebay 6 months ago. TO this day, I have had zero problems. I run windows 7 and stuck in a sandisk 256gig SSD, replaced the cd drive with a one terabyte slim harddrive, and also added a 128gig ngff card. I originally bought it for gaming, but I hardly game anymore. For everything else it is super fast and snappy. As for the factory centrino wireless card, maybe I am just lucky, but I have had zero problems with it. I just use a basic Netgear wnr2000 router, which is n speed, and max out at around 29Mbits, never had any dropped wifi or anything. The only bad thing is the build quality. Its all plastic, including the hinge covers. I had to open it up and use some epoxy in a few places to make sure the screw inserts dont break (cause they will after a while). The best thing I can say is this laptop has the loudest speakers I have ever heard on a laptop.