Lenovo Y510p or somthing else ?

tifozif1

Question

Hello to all my first post here !

I am thinking of buying a Lenovo Y510p (non-sli) with 755m. The price is 650Euros (all expences taxes shipping is included), about 880USDollars. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90532017/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-59400122.asp

I already have a Samsung 840Pro 256GB and one extra DDR3L 4GB to upgrade it. Should I look for something different or is it a good buy for the money.

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Greece.

Another question; the Intel 2230 is very bad card ? Why the Y510p owners buy 7260 or KillerNIC ? Which is the best for this laptop and for the antenas it has ?

@___@___@ sent from tapatalk @__@__@

Y510p's wireless card and microphone don't work all that well for me. The graphics, however, are great if you can find a way to fix those two issues. They sacrificed a lot in terms of the other hardware in order to get those dual cards in a laptop for cheap, which seems like something I shouldn't have overlooked when I purchased one.

Well, I feel like the overheating issue might be resolvable with a bit of modding - namely reapplying a quality thermal paste and use of a cooling stand that can direct air at the air intakes - but I would be more concerned about the stability of SLI and the features of the laptop. Maybe I'm just too used to desktops, but I was really excited to get my Y500 SLI only to realize that Windows 8.1 caused a bunch of problems and the locked down bios is a pain as well.

For my gaming needs y510p 755m sli has proven to be bang for a buck purchase. Only problem that I have had is the overheating but with cooling pad, allstone's ideafan software and undervolting it has been undercontrol. Next I'm gonna try the unlocked bios for vGPU undervolting and see if it improves the temps even more.

I'm using a Clevo W230SS and even though it's a bit more expensive it's really good value for money, with the Maxwell GPU it can even handle games like Arma III that my desktop 560ti was struggling with. I really recommend it.

If you can get over the horrible support from lenovo, glitchy caching ssd drivers (alot of blue screens from this), awful cooling system, short battery life and constantly having to wipe down fingerprints, go for it its a really fast laptop.

I will second that notion. Lenovo is now credited with the worst computer support I've ever encountered...and I did server support for Dell for 13 years! I literally spent an hour being bounced between three different 800 numbers, multiple IBM/Lenovo parts and warranty departments, everyone giving opposite information. What for? Just to try and buy a new wifi card. This is what you end up with when a company gets garbled up after an international acquisition. If i'm standing there with my wallet open and you give me nothing but grief....then your company is shit. Period.

With that said....I really love my Y410P hahahahahaah! Just don't call Lenovo for anything.

I've had a y510p for a while. For the price its really hard to beat... but I would not recommend it, and it comes to that price thing. Its a cheap laptop, it feels cheap, the touch pad is horrible, wireless needs an upgrade that needs a bios hack, and as mentioned by others it gets hot.