Lenovo Y510p or somthing else ?

tifozif1

Question

Hello to all my first post here !

I am thinking of buying a Lenovo Y510p (non-sli) with 755m. The price is 650Euros (all expences taxes shipping is included), about 880USDollars. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90532017/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-59400122.asp

I already have a Samsung 840Pro 256GB and one extra DDR3L 4GB to upgrade it. Should I look for something different or is it a good buy for the money.

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Greece.

I've read a lot of threads about the standard wifi card that comes with the Y510P's but we haven't had issues with any of the dozen laptops that we have. I'm in the process of upgrading to the 7260ac cards, but only because we have a need to go 5ghz.

Hi,

I have quite similar model Y500 with nvidia 650m SLI. I have to say that ultrabay slot is rly cool and the second graphic card is priceless. Today is useles to have dvd-rom. So if you want to play games it's rly good choice for notebook because the second graphic card is used only in-games as SLI. Only one thing is bad and that's you can't use integrated graphics (on CPU) with that second graphic card.

Truthfully it all depends what you want to use the SLI slot for. I have never seen much of a reason to have dual GPU so I instead added the drive caddy and swapped a SSD into my onboard SATA port then a spinning drive for storage. I also have the M.2 slot and use a 256g my digital ssd that to run my games off of. The PC flies with a RAM upgrade and the right config without necessarily needing dual GPU. just make sure you get one with the i7 and the m.2 slot or you'll end up regretting it later on.

I purchased my y510p a year and a half ago and I am generally happy with it. I upgraded the SSD from a 24GB to a 256GB and aim to replace the WiFi card from the Intel's 7260N to Intel's 7260AC just as soon as I can remove the whitelist on the BIOS

Overall Lenovo y510p great laptop.

only know issues ...

touchpad ..... use the wireless mouse

wi fi - try different drivers .... or good wi fi dongle via usb

sli mode ... overheating .... its very common for ALL gaming notebooks .... even with cooling pads

other than that ...

great laptop ... for its money ....

I have one too can confirm the issues with touchpad, wifi and sli mode.

1. Touchpad... I'm living with the issues currently. maybe ill get a wireless mouse.

2. Wifi - Currently trying to get 5 posts so I can download the BIOS mod to remove the Wifi card whitelist. I want to upgrade to an "unsupported" Intel AC card

3. SLI Mode... - In addition to overheating..

4. Battery Life - Terrible with any nvidia cards running.. seriously an hour or two at best.

Battery tip - remove the ultrabay GPU, use the onboard intel graphics.. you can double the battery life that way. good enough for a movie and a half..

I love my y510p. My complaints though include the trackpad....it sucks. Although the mod of electrical taping the bottom of it helps with it shorting out. Otherwise the USB ports seem very loose. Other then that I have loved it for everything from gaming to programming.

i have the SLI one heat issue yeah kinder.... found 3 fixses to help heat... * thermal paste.. changed it... on mine was a little dot that was dried out he ultrabay... yey... not cool LOL

also the 5y10p has a dust collector thing over the air vent(took it off)... and the other is found a note book cooler more air flow..

and ive tried it on a single gpu to its ok.. but sli gives like +30 more fps abouts.. a little lower with heating if not looked after... also the new bios updates u can change when the temps abit to when the fans kick in.

I ALMOST went with a lenovo y-series laptop, but then i found reviews about the screen hinges breaking off so that changed my mind about buying it. So instead i am now planning to buy the Sager NP8657-s :51_002:

If your curious about the hinge thing heres the link: Lenovo Y510 hinge problem - Forums - CNET

My experience with Lenovo has not been that great. I bought a Lenovo y400 (i7-4700HQ, 750m) around May 2013 for around 700-800 dollars on Newegg. I thought it was a great deal at first. However, within around 2 years (May 2015), something broke inside of it. It shut down and it wouldn't reboot. I think it was either the GPU or CPU frying the motherboard, which is weird because I never ran stressful games on it (mostly League of Legends) nor did I overclock it. I mean, the 750m is a pretty weak card as it is. I had to open it up and save what I could a.k.a. my 5400 RPM 1 TB harddrive with all my data on it LOL. A laptop's life span should not be 2 years or less. Lenovo's build quality over the years has drastically decreased. My family STILL has an old Lenovo Thinkpad from like 2005 (Intel Pentium dual-core and like Intel Graphics 3000) and it still works. Nowadays, all the components are fairly cheap (Made in China, ftw). That lends itself to a fairly cheap laptop, which it partly why it is so appealing. But still, you have to take into account that for such a cheap price, you are getting a laptop that will not last long. Instead of say, buying a $1200 laptop from a more "respectable" vendor and having it last much longer than 2 years, you are shelling out $800 for a laptop every 2 years or so. Just my 2 cents.

I bought a laptop from Xotic PC in May 2015 and have been loving it so far. It's a Sager 8651 (i7-4720HQ, 970m), built off of the Clevo P650SE. You can't get a laptop that comes with a GTX 970m for less than $1300 elsewhere. I got mine for around $1100-1200, after rebates, and that included the Witcher 3 for free ($60 MSRP).

IMO, the only benefit of the Lenovo (other than the cheap-azz price) is the sound/speaker quality. I have never heard such beautiful sounds/music emanating from a laptop speaker. It was orgasmic. My Sager 8651 with Onkyo speakers sound horrible, even with the included Soundblaster X-Fi MB3.