Lenovo Y510p or somthing else ?

tifozif1

Question

Hello to all my first post here !

I am thinking of buying a Lenovo Y510p (non-sli) with 755m. The price is 650Euros (all expences taxes shipping is included), about 880USDollars. https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90532017/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-59400122.asp

I already have a Samsung 840Pro 256GB and one extra DDR3L 4GB to upgrade it. Should I look for something different or is it a good buy for the money.

Sorry for my bad english, I am from Greece.

Y510p is a great middle class laptop. Only concerns you should have are sli issues (many games aren't compatible and battery life is terrible when enabled), the bios whitelist is strict (you can mod the bios and then upgrade your laptop but some people have had issues after modding) and the stupid right shift key, it's too small and i miss it sometimes.

The wireles card sometimes works fine for me and sometimes not. Ist a pain, but now i bought a 15€ USB-Adapter so I'm fine with it. Performancewise it runns well, but when gaming it gets realy hot. so now I'm looking forward to test this bios mod (http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html) to increase the fanspeed hoping the CPU-temps wont rise above 70°C anymore.

I have the Y510p. Unfortunately, locked BIOS. Otherwise, does great. I like it a lot. Could have used the SLI, though.

If anyone gets the Y510p, get SLI. You'll regret it if you don't. Just one single GT 755M really isn't enough. It has halfway-decent shader performance.

I have y510p and have few issues with it, At start SSD M2 disk dont work correctly but there is a fix, SLI issue is also present, I also have problem with USB Intel xHCI controller that disables devices and there is no fix to make that devices working.

I currently have a Y510P, bought one year ago...it's performance are really high.

I use it for work (behavioural experiments, writing, composing, editing, mixing, data analysis and much more...) and I sometimes use it for gaming too, and I never had problems.

The only bad thing has been the reason why I joined this forum...accidentally overwriting the LENOVO recovery partition leads to an enormous amount of problems...

hope this helps!

I have had the laptop for 6 months and it has been one of the best laptops I've owned. Upgraded with a pure SSD it is really quite fast. Only complain so far is my model didn't have dual band wireless card shipped with it so I'm stuck on 2.4Ghz.

Was wondering if anyone else has the superfish malware preinstalled on their Y510P? Mine doesn't seem to have it, so it might only be in newer lenovo laptops. If your not sure what I'm talking about please see:

Lenovo Caught Installing Adware On New Computers

The touchpad on the Y510p is utter crap. There's TONS of web pages with tweaks, but the bottom line is that is very subpar. When I try to right click using the button, the button pushes down quite a bit (not a true button, but the surface of the pad) and the bending action makes my cursor move about 75% of the time, usually resulting in a misclick.

Battery life could be a lot better, but I did buy one with SLI, so I knew what I was getting into on that aspect.

I highly recommend it, but make sure you create a recovery disc! That's actually one of the reasons I joined this forum. I installed Ubuntu and it wouldn't boot with UEFI and then it just went to heck from there. The special partition would no longer work either (the oneKey recovery button no longer works either because the partitions are all messed up). I have no overheating issues and my processor sometimes spikes when gaming. I can play Tomb Raider with almost max specs (the hair rendering really slows me down). Overall, I recommend the laptop. Just don't get SLI. Also did we necro this thread? It's rather old and the OP has probably already bought one or got something else... but in any case, this is my review of it. Sound rocks on it.

y510 is old stuff i did just wait alittle bit more and then pay about 1k for the y50 which is whole lot slimer and faster than the y510

i like their design alot too. it is worth checking it out

i find the y510 to be alittle too big and heavy even tho its a cheap-man's gaming laptop

I have this one, and for that price, i believe this is the best choice. After 4 months of using this one i can say that this size is universal one, maybe its heavy as aznvico said (before i had macbook 13") but still i love it. I own the gt755m sli version, and it can handle most games very well. But unfortunatly after few months my windows went down, so if you have this one. Make sure that you will make the recovery disc first, becouse some day you may need it. General feelings about laptop is very good. Only minus is for the plastic frame around the screen, wich looks a little bit miserable.

I own a y510p sli and indeed its one of the best laptops out there for gaming. There is no comparison on the performance with the price you pay. I personally like y510p over y50 but again its my personal choice.

I have a y510p and like others have said I joined this forum because of it. I have a wireless AC router and need to flash the BIOS to be able to install a wireless AC card in this laptop. For a PC that is kind of ridiculous. I bought a Windows PC because I don't like having to upgrade the entire device when one thing is bothering me, but I guess that Lenovo doesn't feel that way.

I feel like I bought a 1980's Mustang with 700 horsepower. There are problems with the fit and finish (track pad, cooling, plastic pretending to be metal), but this thing is fast as hell. I have really liked it, but there are compromises. The battery life is abysmal. SLI doesn't work with every game. The bezel around the screen reflects so much light that it doesn't matter if it is a matte screen (you can use the bezel as a mirror in a pinch).

Lenovo support is terrible as well. I paid the extra for the accidental coverage warranty with in home repair and I regret it. The one issue that I called about they said I would have to ship the laptop out for 2 weeks so it could be repaired at their depot facility. The issue I called about was the glue separating from the top of the bezel which makes the plastic lens covering the webcam lift and causes the camera to take blurry pictures. So replacing a clip in and glue bezel is a depot level repair, why did I pay for an in home repair warranty?

If I had it to do over again I would have saved my money and bought something from Sager/Clevo.

I like my lenovo y510p. but i am not sure if the gt 755m sli i have is much better than a single gt 755m. so i guess your choice is wise. most negative point: y510p is very heavy as well as the power adaptor which provides 170W

By April 17, buying a Lenovo Y510 is not a true choice, when there are other models from other companies and also Lenovo (like Y50).

But I'd bought this about a year ago, what I feel now? It's still in the ring of fight, I can run almost every games on high graphic settings. From pushing the power button and runnig mozilla firefox, it just takes lesser than a minute. Beside that, third party drivers works well on it, I'd seen a laptop which even it's original drivers didn't work on that, but with this laptop, you can install all of drivers from their owners website.

Final word is, with this special forum, it can be in the ring also for upcoming years.

Thanks to TechInferno. ;)

I have the y510p SLI model.

SLI is a very sensitive technology, you need to set it up correctly before performing some heavy gaming.

When it works, it's really a great value for money. A few games scale very well on SLI, like Tomb Raider 2013, Battlefield 4. But I'm sure you know it is being plagued with serious overheating issues. There's a mod somewhere I read that involves cutting some plastic to place some room for the fan intake, especially for the ultrabay GPU.

On heavy gaming the ultrabay gpu can go up to 93 degrees celsius.

Keyboard is very nice to type and do work on. Though laptop is a bit on the heavy side (I carry it to work every day.)

Great Laptop to go with. I have mine for almost a year now. Have Samsung EVO ssd and 1TB hard drive plus 16GB Gskill Ripjaws memory as addons. Besides the crappy wifi adapter everything is great.

It does heat up a lot while gaming but never blew :P I might change the wifi to 7260 ac very soon.

Go for it

I purchased my y150p a year and a half ago; and have only a single complaint: the wifi card is just horrific on my personal network (and reading around it seems that others have had this issue as well). I've finally gotten to the point where I'm going to upgrade and really make this a machine that will last me for the next ~5 years.

Aside from that, this machine has been everything that it was advertised to be. 9/10, would buy again (with better wifi card 10/10!)

I purchased a Lenovo y510p for my normal business laptop because I also wanted a system that I could game on when traveling. It suits my needs for the most part and you can turn off the 2nd video card if you don't need it of course. The touch pad is a little weird, but you get used to it after awhile. The wireless card doesn't connect to certain wireless routers, I think its N. IF you want to install a different wireless care you need to mod the bios because the Lenovo customized one will not allow non-approved hardware. I made the mistake of getting a cheap y510p I found on amazon by a 3rd party seller and it didn't realize but there are several versions. One only has the i5 processor and doesn't come with the m.2 ssd drive. I wound up purchasing a 256 m.2 ssd drive so that wasn't an issue. I had a lot of trouble with the 2nd video card at first until I installed the updated vga bios offered on Lenovo site. Then it started rebooting periodically so I eventually returned it to Lenovo. They replaced the guts and all is working well now. After all is said and done, I would recommend this laptop for gaming. Just make sure get the i7 version.

I have the 750m model. It's not incredibly fast for modern games, but it'll do. I'm sure the SLI would help, but I personally would rather have another hard drive. I'm about to replace the Wifi card because as everyone has mentioned, the built in one sucks.

I have the SLI version with core i7 and 8gb of ram. I mainly use it for work and it has been great. I have had it for over a year now and have run into the touchpad glue getting too hot and the touchpad separating from the laptop. Lenovo was able to send me a replacement top cover, even though I did not have an onsite warranty! Great customer service from them. I hope I do not have to work with them again but if so I hope it is a good experience as this last time.

I've had the y510p sli model for about a year now and it has been great, no real issues for me. I have replaced the thermal paste with AS5 and performed the shroud mod. Always raise the back with cd cases or something while gaming and it would be a great choice for the money. My only gripe with it is the touchpad...I'd expect a touchpad like this to be on a 250-300$ laptop not a 800$+ performance laptop.

I've read a lot of threads about the standard wifi card that comes with the Y510P's but we haven't had issues with any of the dozen laptops that we have. I'm in the process of upgrading to the 7260ac cards, but only because we have a need to go 5ghz.