14" Asus G46VW + GTX670@10Gbps-TB1 (ThunderTek) + 3D enclosure [jacobsson]

Hi,

Just bought an AsusG46VW from eBay. Unfortunately the board revision is 2.0 so no thunderbolt for me :(

"Edit" Had to replace the powerjack and in the process confirmed that the thunderbolt chip is missing so definitely no thunderbolt for me with this motherboard.

I've also added a very small NGFF M.2 B SATA-Based SSD 32GB using a NGFF M.2 B SATA-Based to MSATA Mini Male Converter Card. Its cheap and there is enough room to install it since the converter card is very small and the SSD is even smaller. Unlike with a standard sized MSATA SSD you can even screw it using the notebooks mount, and so everything is secured. 32GB is just about enough for Windows 8.1.

I recommend this small mod to anyone that has no problem disassembling this laptop (you will need to completely disassemble it). Your boot times will decrease dramatically and Windows will fell a lot faster due to the SSDs much lower access times. The 32GB mean that you may need to disable Windows hibernation (and get around 10GB free SDD space) and also need to install most of your apps/games in the 750GB hard drive and also move the page file to it. Both the SSD and the converter were bought on eBay for the total amount of 26€. Best cost/benefit ratio I ever got from upgrading a laptop. :D

With a modded bios I got some thunderbolt options. Is it just because its unlocked and so it shows all the options or does it mean my motherboard has thunderbolt?

"Edit" Its just because the bios is unlocked.

Is there any sure way of buying a thunderbolt motherboard? And if so, from where?

Any recommended FHD displays for it? Already saw a few references in the forum but its hard to decide witch one to buy.

I've posted this in another thread related to the G46 but the author of that one doesn't seem to be active in this forum. Any way sorry for the double post.

Thanks in advanced.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

You can also download the app "Speccy" and it will tell you your mobo version... I have 1.0 on a G75vw.. super bummed!

I'm about to do this too, I guess, cheaper than building a new pc, can return parts.

Untitled.png

It looks plug and play on the VW models in this thread, and one other guy said it was plug-n-play, but one had issues, downloaded the bios and all that, still couldn't get it running...

Link

Edited by Bezerkr1

I inadvertently ended up opening the case, my Mobo is Rev 2.4 - SO SPECCY LIES.. Sorry...

I have no idea if I have TB 2 or not with Rev 2.4...  the layout is different, should have taken pictures.. DOH!

On 3/11/2016 at 5:51 AM, Bezerkr1 said:

I inadvertently ended up opening the case, my Mobo is Rev 2.4 - SO SPECCY LIES.. Sorry...

I have no idea if I have TB 2 or not with Rev 2.4...  the layout is different, should have taken pictures.. DOH!

Hi man!

Did you find out if it's thunderbolt or not?

• 1 year later...

Hey, not sure if this thread is still active but in case it is:

Awesome job! Had no idea this could be done,

I do have a question regarding my mobo, its rev 2.0 BUT it does have a Thunderbolt sticker on the port (I'll attach some pics),

Is there any good way for me to make sure it truly is a fully functional thunderbolt port?

IMG_20170317_190855.jpg

IMG_20170317_190749222222.jpg