GT70 (GTX 680M) - Flashing vBios - Overheating - Need Advice

Turbosheild

Hi!

So, I am new here, and I was hoping that I could get some advice regarding flashing the vBios of my GTX 680M, residing within my GT70 (Valkyrie CZ-17, from iBuyPower). As time have progressed, what was once a cutting edge graphics chip is now struggling to retain the flair it once held, and I with to restore it to its former glory, ie) squeeze every ounce of performance that I can out of this card. This being said, while I have a basic-intermediate knowledge of overclocking, I am entirely new to the concept of flashing a vBios, and thus I am a bit apprehensive as the last thing that I want to do is fuck up a $600 graphics card.

I currently run a moderate overclock of 800 MHz, and 2000 MHz on the memory, using the stock vBios. My goal is to achieve a base clock of 900+ MHz, perhaps even 1000ish with a sudo-boost of sorts, if that is possible.

I have an MSI GeForce GTX680M (4GB)

Running - GeForce 335.23 WHQL - as a driver.

The current BIOS is - 80.04.33.00.24

And the GPU is (obviously) a GK104, revision A2.

I have been looking through the forums, and found what I thought to be a good BIOS, but it said that I didn't have access to the download, and all that I can find now is a vBIOS for a Clevo 4GB 680, and I have an MSI 4GB 680, so I worry of the consequences of using a such a combination of soft and hardware.

Additionally, I have a question in regards to managing the thermals in this laptop. I currently have two external solutions, one moderately priced cooling pad with a 92mm fan, and a Jerry-rigged solution with a 10" desk fan that can successfully keep the laptop below 68C (stock clocks), with an ambient temp of ~20C.

So, my question regarding cooling, are there any internal modifications that can be done to increase the potency of the internal fan, if the internal fan can be upgraded for a more effective model, or if there are any software tricks to turn the fan up to 11, metaphorically speaking.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

-Emma

(Seriously, I would really appreciate some advice here) :)

• 2 years later...

@Turboshield : I know your post and the follow-up from Slacker is well over two years ago. I'm real late to the OC'ing game, but hey... my Valkyrie CZ-17 is still going strong so why not?

Can you tell me what your experience was with overclocking? How far did you safely overclock with the CZ-17's heatsink?

Cheers

Thank you for the reassurance. I'll do some monitoring of the temperature at Full Load and see how it does against your 85° benchmark before I flash any vBIOS and startinf OC'ing. I had the GT70 Barebone for a while in Southeast Asia and I suspect that the heat/humidity did murder on the thermal paste. If that's the case, I might see about overhauling that before I start OC'ing.

Assuming that everything is fine, how much of a boost could I get away with? The big discussion thread here about the GTX 680Ms is rather long and does come to a definitive conclusion. And this is confused more by the fact that multiple vBIOS with different voltages (1000, 1025, 1050) are offered. I suppose I could just experiment like everyone else by incrementally ramping up until I start seeing the heat crawl above 85 or 90, but I'm wondering if some folks have already optimized the combinations. Any advice there?

• 2 months later...

maybe u can try undervolt it a bit to decrase the heat or u try liquid metal thermal paste

my clocks are :  954/2250 with 0.987 (stock) voltage stable and have no temp issues at all

iam using svl7 bios for the gtx 680m

Edited by Unreall