Thinking about selling my M14X for Sager NP5165

As Configured: $ 939.00

3% "No Fees" Cash Discount: -$ 28.17

3% Cash Discounted Price: $ 910.83

I bought my M14X for 850 + tax - I can sell this baby easily for 1200 and buy sager for 910. This way I gain some profit and a 1080p screen. The only thing I lose is the backlit alienfx light ;/ - should I do it? It's pretty much same specs except smaller HDD but I will replace that with my SSD anyways.

Gains:

1080p Screen

2GB GT 555M (from 1.5GB M14X)

3 Year Labor 1 Year Parts, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Tech Support (seems nice 3 years)

fingerprint reader :)

Sager NP5165 / Clevo W150HR

- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen

- Standard Dead Pixel Policy

- - 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM, 2.0-2.8GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)

- Stock Thermal Compound-

- nVidia GT 555M 2048MB PCI-Express GDDR3 DX11 with Optimus™ Technology

- No Video Adapter

- ~ 4,096MB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 SODIMMS)

- Standard Finish

- ~ 320GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache) - Default

- ~ Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included)

- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy

- No Back Up Hard Drive

- NO External USB Optical Drive

- No Floppy Drive

- Internal 4-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO)

- No Back Up Software

- None Standard--

- Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth

- No Network Accessory

- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera

- No TV Tuner

- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included

- No Carrying Case

- NO Spare Battery

- No Car Adapter

- None Standard*

- No Dock/Hub/Adapter

- Integrated Fingerprint Reader

- No External Keyboard or Mouse

- No Notebook Cooler

- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only

- No Office Software

- No Software Bundle

- 3 Year Labor 1 Year Parts, Lifetime Sager Toll Free Tech Support

- No Xotic PC Gear

Edited by ragingazn628

• Founder

Well you also lose:

• AW styling
  • Dell warranty service
  • Subwoofer
  • Optional WiHD transmitter

1080p on a 14" IMO is too high of a resolution but that's a personal choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well you also lose:

• AW styling
  • Dell warranty service
  • Subwoofer
  • Optional WiHD transmitter

1080p on a 14" IMO is too high of a resolution but that's a personal choice.

15.6" screen :) I'm more for the money tho. If I can get at least 1500 I will sell asap :D

And the subwoofer is really meh ;/

Edited by ragingazn628

• Founder
15.6" screen :) I'm more for the money tho. If I can get at least 1500 I will sell asap :D

And the subwoofer is really meh ;/

Ok then that's a different size category altogether.

I went and looked at the Sager and I honestly only see a larger screen nothing else is an upgrade. The vid ram won't do anything, it has less port options ie video out and dual headset. No backlit keyboard? If I could buy the m14x for as little as you nothing else could compare. I have looked at least 6 gaming laptops and keep coming back to alienware and price has no factor in my consideration. It took me 6 months comparing tablets before I bought the one I am typing this on and all I will say is I have put in at least 8 hours a week since I got it into research for a new laptop and the m14x wins all side by side features I put them through not incuding price.

• Thumbs Up 1

As many would probably say, "You get what you pay for". I certainly go by that phrase a lot, and doing the change from the M14x to a Sager could mean some sacrifices you may regret having a bit more into the future. In my opinion the build quality of the Sager doesn't look as good as the Alienware either.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sagers are nice, I can vouch for them. But remember you can always play games at 720p too, you're not restricted to native resolution. I don't know why people get so hung up on that. On the other hand, the NP5165 has the 128-bit 555m vs the 192-bit 555m in the M14x. The one in M14x is definitely better.

Man, this is a huge dilemma for me: DV6t vs M14x vs NP5165 vs NP8130

DV6t has everything I like and is cheapest. But OpenGL support is wonky and no way to overclock GPU.

M14x has the more powerful 192-bit 555m but glossy screen and no 1080p and no blu-ray and most expensive

NP5165 has everything I need. But only 6-cell battery and the 128-bit 555m.

NP8130 is perfect, except performance on battery is dismal (3DMark06 ~ 3500).

From stuff I've read on XPS 17 with 555m which is same as 5165 it can overclock to near GTX 460m stock performance, but not sure about the NP5165. Why is there never the perfect combination of components in a machine for a reasonable price? Seems there never is!

But I have to ask myself how important is blu-ray, 1080p, and gaming on battery to me.

Edited by HTWingNut

Guest bifnewman

For some reason, there is never a perfect combination. I can't find anything that I feel like sticking with. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a laptop. Good luck. Personally, I wouldn't even consider the NP5165 if you're thinking of gaming on it. You can get a 1080p screen and the 555m can't drive games well at that resolution and it's not upgradable. If you're looking for something good right now that you can upgrade for a good price, go for the 8130. It has the same inside as the 8150, just lower wattage on the PSU. That way, if you want, you can grab a 580m down the road and get the upgraded psu for more power. I really don't think the battery is going to be that much more impressive on the 5165 than the 8130 but I could be wrong.

NP8130 won't game on battery though. Everything is so gimped when on battery it's like a netbook, seriously. I am ok gaming at non-native resolution too, it doesn't bother me like it does most people. 1280x720 scales down nicely on a 1920x1080 screen. The 5165 gets about 4.5 hours "real" use from what I've seen, and 8130 about 3 hours, but the 5165 has better performance on battery. So far I'm finding out though that the 555m in the 5165 is severely gimped with the 128-bit 555m. :( But the 192-bit 555m in the M14x and XPS 17 can overclock to near gtx 460m stock speeds.

I currently own an NP8170 and M11x that I'm trying to sell, buy a mid-range laptop to replace both, and pocket the rest, so price is also a factor. Hard to justify an extra ~ $300 on the M14x over the HP or Sager when it doesn't offer all the features I want. Although I'm drawn to it for the GPU, backlit keyboard, and build construction.

Edited by HTWingNut

I decided to go with the clevo p151hm1 (same exact thing as 8130) from malibal. I have no regrets. The screen is beautiful and it stays cool and whispers. And I can play every game but crysis maxed at 1080p with the 560m. Came close to getting that alien though. The graphics card is what stopped me from getting the alienware.

@coolguystan - Not a bad choice. I'm leaning that direction too now. Primarily because M14x seems to score pretty low performance on battery, and that was one thing I was looking for, to replace that functionality of my M11x. But I can't get any hard numbers from anywhere for someone to run their 3DMark06 or Vantage or 3DMark11 with 555m on battery to get a comparison.

Did you get the upgraded 95% gamut screen or stock matte?

Guest bifnewman
@coolguystan - Not a bad choice. I'm leaning that direction too now. Primarily because M14x seems to score pretty low performance on battery, and that was one thing I was looking for, to replace that functionality of my M11x. But I can't get any hard numbers from anywhere for someone to run their 3DMark06 or Vantage or 3DMark11 with 555m on battery to get a comparison.

i hear the upgraded screen is really good. if i were you, i would go for that since its only like $100 extra. I talked to Aikimox about the best screen in the X7200 and he said there is an IPS 1080p screen for like 1.2-1.5k usd. Just gives a little perspective, and I don't think you'd want to go through upgrading it (even though its easy on a Clevo) just for the small amount it takes to get it in the first place.

Mine actually came stock with the 95% gamut glossy screen.

This CAN game on battery but it is HEAVILY downclocked. I think it is sitting somewhere between the 320m and 330m on battery.

Edited by coolguystan

That's not correct. Read some of the posts stevenxowens792 has made, he's put huge effort into proving you can game on battery.

Sorry, I don't see them readily. Have links? Thanks.

edit: NM, found this one here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/481-i-have-fixed-gaming-battery-please-do-not-repost-other-forums.html

Edited by HTWingNut

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the replies guys, sorry for the bump for such an old thread but I have this bookmarked ;)

So I got a buyer for my m14x for 1300 USD

I need help to pick a final decision on which gaming laptop to get. The lower the price the better! I'm still currently looking at my original post. 939 hmm :)