Alienware M17x-R2 or M17x-R3? Your pick!

Brian

I Put an order for a R3 today, i blame it all on Brian cause I was going to wait for the m18x but he convinced me otherwise :)

It's funny how it boils down to you being a single or dual card fan. Those with the duals in their R2s are holding out for either the M18x or a dual 6970 upgrade solution and anyone happy with a single (m15x, ASUS or otherwise) are charging out for the R3. That is unless you're rich enough to keep buying whatever Dell can spit out :48_002:

• Founder

Haha I have two R2's and an R3 (i'm not even close to rich) but so far I'm liking the R3 as much as the R2's despite being single GPU and WLED.

• Founder
what specs did u pick?

I went with the basic 2630QM, 8GB of RAM, 6970M, 320GB HDD, and the 6300 WIFI.

The rep offered me the whole deal including a free Razer Orochi mice for a nice round 2K$ before taxes.

I think i got a decent discount.

I actually configured the system with 4GB of memory initially, and i think the rep made a mistake and ordered 8GB :)

I plan on upgrading to a 2920xm when the prices become sane plus i am ordering a SSD to in right away.

Any recommendations ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
I went with the basic 2630QM, 8GB of RAM, 6970M, 320GB HDD, and the 6300 WIFI.

The rep offered me the whole deal including a free Razer Orochi mice for a nice round 2K$ before taxes.

I think i got a decent discount.

I actually configured the system with 4GB of memory initially, and i think the rep made a mistake and ordered 8GB :)

I plan on upgrading to a 2920xm when the prices become sane plus i am ordering a SSD to in right away.

Any recommendations ?

Welcome to the club brother! lol! Now we just need stamatis to give up his precious 16:10.

Hi everyone.Sorry if I will have some mistakes,because english isn't my native one.I want to be a member of alienware "family":36_002: .Does anyone want to sell his/her Alienware m17x r2?Because it is my dream.Can you please give your email or write your offers with specs and conditions on this mail ([email protected]).And one more thing for modarators,please don't clear this message!Thank you guys for your replies.

• Founder
Hi everyone.Sorry if I will have some mistakes,because english isn't my native one.I want to be a member of alienware "family":36_002: .Does anyone want to sell his/her Alienware m17x r2?Because it is my dream.Can you please give your email or write your offers with specs and conditions on this mail ([email protected]).And one more thing for modarators,please don't clear this message!Thank you guys for your replies.

This thread isn't for solicitations to purchase a notebook. I noticed you're from Kyrgyzstan so if you are interested in purchasing an Alienware notebook, I would suggest looking into hidevolution.com or eBay.

Thanks.I was looking their and they don't have used alienwares with 2x5870's with 720qm's.I would be glad to discuss in this forum about alienware too.But if someone will have good offer I will be also glad.I registered here not only to buy but to have disscusions too.

I think of buying Alienware m17x R2,because it is very powerful. I think that R3 wil have some issues for about a half year, then it doesn't have 2920XM yet. Then some overclocking of R2, and will it will be as good as 2920XM. Also one issue R2 has dual GPU's and I hope that maybe in future R2 will have an upgrade like dual 6870's or something else. Old school of R2 now is better then new one R3.

• Founder
I think of buying Alienware m17x R2,because it is very powerful. I think that R3 wil have some issues for about a half year, then it doesn't have 2920XM yet. Then some overclocking of R2, and will it will be as good as 2920XM. Also one issue R2 has dual GPU's and I hope that maybe in future R2 will have an upgrade like dual 6870's or something else. Old school of R2 now is better then new one R3.

Both notebooks have their pros and cons - I have both in my possession and am in the process of writing a review. In the past I felt the same as you but after owning a 6970M equipped R3, my thoughts on the subject have changed to say the least. Stay tuned for our review :) Welcome to Tech|Inferno.

• Founder
Both notebooks have their pros and cons - I have both in my possession and am in the process of writing a review. In the past I felt the same as you but after owning a 6970M equipped R3, my thoughts on the subject have changed to say the least. Stay tuned for our review :) Welcome to Tech|Inferno.

Death to the R3, long live the R2 :P LOL

As far as i have seen so far the R3 with 6970 it's really impressive. But still not on par with a dual 5870's R-2 especially if running with XM cpus, but really close to it. I Will stay with my R2 for a number of reasons (many of them are the same as other users, aluminium built, 16:10 rateo screen and his quality, dual gpu). I was thinking a little bit about the change over and to get an R3, but after i saw the number from Brian K. i believe it's not worth the swap. Instead, i've ordered a 920XM :D

The only real reason I can see to go from a R2 to a R3 is for weight and battery life plus some better architecture with SB. Otherwise the R2 is the better and more powerful machine. :)

I think everyone saying that the R3 is the "new M15x" are spot on assuming the M18x comes out with dual GPU capability and a better screen.

Silent Bob's R2 has landed. Typing on it now in a Minnesota hotel room. Going back to why an R2 vs an R3. The R2 has the build quality and so much potential with the likelihood of a 6970 being able to work. And if none of it comes to pass then there's still value enough to sell it and buy either the R3 or M18x. Looking forward to what I can do with this machine.

• Founder
Silent Bob's R2 has landed. Typing on it now in a Minnesota hotel room. Going back to why an R2 vs an R3. The R2 has the build quality and so much potential with the likelihood of a 6970 being able to work. And if none of it comes to pass then there's still value enough to sell it and buy either the R3 or M18x. Looking forward to what I can do with this machine.

Congrats silent bob! About the 6970M, it technically works but there are so many issues with it that I don't recommend trying (I'll cover it in the R3 review that's coming soon--I promise). For now the best configuration for an R2 is dual 5870m + 920xm (with throttlestop for OC'ing and hwinfo32 for monitoring). Once you get acclimated with your new toy, let us know how you like the rgb led, gaming performance etc.

• 1 month later...
Guest sleepingdragon

I choose ye, AW R3! Sometimes its good to be in the military! (22% off, no tax, free 3-5 day shipping)

post-184-14494987850461_thumb.jpg

Edited by sleepingdragon

Welcome to Tech | Inferno Sleepingdragon. Feel comfortable posting your opinion here. Feel free to get aquainted with some of the discussions here in the forum and Articles on the main page.

• Founder
I choose ye, AW R3! Sometimes its good to be in the military! (22% off, no tax, free 3-5 day shipping)

Sweet price, AAFES would be nice for the M18x I have my eye on.

Hi guys,

I'm very new to this forum.

Kinda interested in this subforum because I have been confused for quite a while already regarding the R2 vs R3.

AFAIK the dual HD5870M is a bit faster than single HD6970M, but due to some crossfire problem regarding drivers, the HD6970M might have more advantage.

I would like to know is it true that dual HD5870M has really bad driver/game support for crossfire?

I'm curious because I have found a very sweet deal for the R2 but still thinking whether to pull the trigger or not.:62:

• Founder

For power you go with the R2 (plus very good for overclocking and benchmarking), for portability you go with the R3, I personally didn't experience any cfx issues on my R2 (I only have 10 games installed though). For me go with the R2 since you got a good deal out of it.