4K Monitor with E-GPU setup?

EpicBlob

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has gotten their e-gpu setup to work with a 4k monitor. I'm thinking of buying a 28inch samsung 4k monitor for college (60hz aswell). For gaming, I wouldn't be playing native 4k (downscale to 1080p which after reading about it, looks exactly the same as a regular 1080p 28inch monitor because its 1/4 the pixels). I'd mostly use the extra screen real-estate for for windows, easier photoshopping and video-editing, and overall crispiness while browsing websites. How well would a 2670qm cpu, MSI 670 2gb gpu, and Opt. 1.2 handle the 4k monitor? I'm wondering if games still played at 1080p would offer me the same performance, or if the 500MB of bandwidth just isn't enough. I'm sure this is something thunderbolt would be a big benefit for. Any thoughts would be great!

4k Should work fine if gpu supports it.

And about games, Which games? I've tried some 1440p games with my 290x.

Considering that about same game world is sent over the pci bus (in terms of draw calls, polygons, textures), unless the game actively sends higher detail/resolution for high resolutions (which more games this settings are detached from resolution) the difference is fill rate/shaders acting on more pixels intersecting the screen, and if fov is greater more polygons (less gets occluded and culled from the borders) will be visible.

I don't think it will affect bandwidth much.

So my guess is games that had a really high fps will work fine (you can probably disable AA) at 1440p, high fps will work fine in lower details. Basically the same performance drop ratio you see in desktop benchmarks.

4k Is a different beast and high end GPUs struggle with it. Bandwidth will not change much.

1080p game will look the same when the monitor is at such distance that the angular size (apparent size) is the same as your old/other 1080p monitor, but close up it will be blurry (depends on the game). Btw, You don't have to move the monitor much back to match the apparent size of a 24" monitor

I forgot how much is it but its about 13cm back...

(http://goo.gl/K6JSdD)

The higher you go up in resolution, the more of a performance hit you get with an eGPU than with a normal GPU.

However, as scaling is done on the GPU, when running at 1080p, it should make no difference what the resolution of the screen is to the performance.

Alright sweet, so essentially my gaming wont see a hit and it'll remain as it is, but a 670 should be plenty for other work and the 4k resolution will be used then. I'll probably be picking one up before I go to college so it might be a few months, but I'll do my tests once it's going.

• 1 month later...

4k monitor should be fine, and if you play on 1080p it would be still good. Please do share with us how your eGPU rig goes.

Not a lot of MSI 670 users out there with 4k monitors setup. So it might be interesting to see how it goes ;).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.