Clevo gtx780m or 880m in alienware m17xr4

Hi guys,

I am in need of some advice or assistance.

I am thinking of buying either a gtx780m or 880m to replace my dead clevo gtx680m in my m17xr4. Now that the 880m drivers are out, i guess getting the 880m makes more sense over the 780m.

My question is will the clevo 780m or 880m work in the m17xr4?. Do i need to flash the vbios to a modded 1 or alienware stock vbios?

And i have a 60 hz screen, is it just plug and play or do i have to install unlocked bios for the m17xr4 to disable the intel gpu? I didn't have to unlock any bios to install the clevo 680m though.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

There are plenty of Dell 780M in the market right now and their prices are still going quite high considering all the throttle problems with 880M. I would suggest go find one and flash it with svl7 VBIOS instead of jamming a Clevo card into a Dell machine mate :)

There are plenty of Dell 780M in the market right now and their prices are still going quite high considering all the throttle problems with 880M. I would suggest go find one and flash it with svl7 VBIOS instead of jamming a Clevo card into a Dell machine mate :)

I think that is good advice unless they are the same money. If not, get whatever is cheaper. The 880M is just an overclocked 780M with better RAM (and more of it).

Ya but the problem is my gpu got bricked flashing the unlocked vbios. Gonna try and solder the new bios chip in it and maybe try flasing again.

I don't own an AW, but I have read that one of the strengths is the ability to unbrick a bad flash. There are guys that keep older AW laptops just for that purpose. You might want to look into that first.

Sent with love from my Galaxy S4

• 1 month later...
Just go 780M, you can even flash a 880M VBIOS on your 780M if you want to.

Why would you want to do that when there exists an unlocked VBIOS for the 780M? Many are having issues with the 880M just getting it to run at stock speeds.

Why would you want to do that when there exists an unlocked VBIOS for the 780M? Many are having issues with the 880M just getting it to run at stock speeds.
What I mean is there's little difference between them.