Topazoo

Alienware M17X Won't Boot!

Today I was trying to revert my Alienware's Nvidia 460m card back to the A04 bios to remove the downclocking functionality. After I reverted the bios, I changed some of the settings in the f12 boot menu, mainly the gpu throttle temp (which I thought it wouldn't have) and made a few other tweaks which i don't remember. After it restarted, the display lit up but only gives me a black screen. I can hear the fans begin to start, but the stop and restart every second, after a few seconds I can hear a clicking noise after the fans start each time. I removed the computer and system batteries and heldthe power button for 30 seconds before rebooting but it didn't help, I've also tried to blind flash the bios but to no avail (though I'm not sure the flashdrive I'm using will work for a blind flash). Does anyone know what's wrong or have anything I can try?

Recap of Symptoms

- Black Screen

- Fans start and stop

- Clicking noise

Sounds like a VGA brick for sure i take it only the vBios was flashed and not the main bios on the motherboard?

If its a vBios flash gone wrong. Make a Dos Bootable USB stick with Nvflash for DOS and the rom file.

Then make a autoexec.bat and in that file do a

nvflash -4 -5 -6 vbios.rom (Rename the vbios rom file to vbios.rom makes life easier)

make sure the vbios.rom and nvflash are in the same place power the laptop backup and boot off the USB stick then press y if you hear a Beep then give it about 2 minutes then reboot.

Else if it was a mobo bios flash gone wrong i can't help you on that.

Then when and if you get your laptop working i suggest before messing with anymore vbios flashings is to enable Remote Desktop on the laptop so when you go to flash next time and you get a blank screen as long as it boots into Windows you'd be safe as you can use another computer and the RDP to show windows booted ok or not.

Thanks for the advice, I do think it may have been a motherboard flash, but I'm not positive. I'm trying your suggestion anyway.

How exactly do I get it to boot from the USB drive? I've plugged it in and let the computer start up but the drive doesn't light up. I've tried it in the eSata port and USB port both when powering it on regularly, and while holding end.