MSI GT70 0NE - newbie overclocker need assistance with unleasing the beast

iangh

Hi Guys

So i'm new to this site, though i've read through some posts from which i can conclude that many users are facing the same throtling issue with this particular model.

• stable fps with sudden fps drops.
  • slowdown of game play in some games.
  • unstable play in general.

I don't want to overclock my system to the point where the lifespam will decline. All i want is a stable computer, running at its full potential.

I hope i can get some help from you Guys, as you seem to have it all figured out!

:32_002: Ian

This is what I did on my GT70 0NE, once I got my five posts:

Flashed with modified BIOS, used the one without extra voltage to keep the heat down, loaded the Beta EC and NVinspector. I also used the fan control trick with RWeverything to have more aggressive fan action. All these can be found here in the forum.

Got my 680m up to 941/1900, at 26C ambient it furmarks(1366x768, 8XMSAA) at 81-82C, which hits around 87C at ~30C ambient. I use OHM to monitor clocks and temp as I test, to make sure I'm not getting throttled.

My main thing was to keep it from throttling when I run my laptop in a place without AC, which is often.

100% stable in multiple games and 3dmark13. I'm still not real sure of the relationship between memory and core clocks, so I went for a higher clock. Remember that overclocking the GPU's ram will add to the heat load.

I haven't overclocked the CPU at all. I don't see any easy way to do that with my 3630QM and I don't think whatever gains would be worth it, since the most games seem to be GPU-bound.

YMMV, but I'd recommend only using overvolted VBIOSes if you must, due to to the extra heat load.

Yes I was thinking of going the "safe" route by only using a bios without extra voltage, is there anything special i will need before flashing the bios, and how much increase in games did you see? is it worth the risk? thank you so much for all the great information so far :)

I haven't done much benchmarking, save for temperature-checking, but I look at it this way: Overclocking can basically make your 680m into a 780m if you're in a cold environment and have a good quality die, for free.

The risk is negligible, but it does exist and each person's threshold for risk is different. I am fully aware that if something goes wrong while flashing, my 680m is dead.

Frankly, I just overlcock because I can and I enjoy the process.