clevo 880m upgrade for alienware m18x r1

Hi i bought a clevo gtx 880m as n upgrade and cant seem to get it to work. the laptop sees the card just doesnt know what it is. ive tried modding the .inf file to no avail im kinda slow when it comes to software things. So im wondering if someone could spare me a bit of their time and either mod a driver for me or direct me to a slow kids step by step guide to modding one myself? switching over from a gtx 580 sli to just one gtx 880m not sure if thats pertinent but figured id ad that. using windows 7 64 bit and processor is intel core i-7 2760-qm.

Thanks in advance

Hi @gloriano, responding to your PM.

- Download GeForce 337.61 BETA

- Extract driver with 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> Copy/overwrite nvdm.inf (different naming with version 337.61)

- Nvidia 337.61...International folder\ run setup.exe

Modding nvdmi.inf - M18xR1 included cards: 765M - 770M - 780M - 860M - 880M.

- Extract driver with 7-Zip/winrar

- Display.Driver folder -> open nvdmi.inf (notepad) CTRL+H -> Find What: 05AB Replace With: 048F -> Hit 'Replace All' -> Save.

- Nvidia...International folder\ run setup exe.

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/5249-%5Bguide%5D-modding-nvidia-oem-inf-files.html

Modded .inf updates http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf.html

nvdm.inf_v337.61_M18xR1_GTX_880M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the help j but unfortunately the installer still says it cannot find compatible graphics hardware even with your modded file. how should the card be displayed under the device manager? im not even sure it is registering at this point. only thing the computer sees is an unknown device which i think is the card and a unknown bus controller. Also i loaded the new card into the right graphic slot that is correct isnt it?

Yes, you need to use the left side PCIe slot as you are looking at the system from the front. The card may not be properly seated. Simply reseating it may be all that is required. If reseating it does not work, if you have an unlocked BIOS, temporarily set the display mode to "SG" for testing. See if the system will boot in SG mode and if it does, can you see the GPU in the BIOS or in Windows? If not, let us know and maybe I or @johnksss can suggest something else to look at.

okay so did the old Nintendo trick took it out blew on the port then reinserted it boots now but goes into a weird boot loop im assuming because its set to peg for display and there's no driver so its freaking out?

- - - Updated - - -

also in BIOS it registers card as discrete graphics 1 nvidia GFX

however if i boot with peg it goes into different windows restore options and it also gives me the option of loading the driver manually. is there anyway to do that with the files i was given? I can also make it boot just fine with the integrated card selected but then the nvidia one doesn't display anywhere. This is all very confusing sorry for being such a pain.

Time to start over with drivers. Boot using integrated graphics and run Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to get rid of all of the NVIDIA drivers and registry entries from your previous GPU installation. Choose the option in DDU for graphics card replacement. That may help if the driver is causing the hang to occur while loading Windows. If the system loads Windows with discrete graphics at this point, install the NVIDIA driver.

going out on a limb here but could i force it to boot up by putting one of the old 580's in the primary slot then the 880 in secondary then load the driver to the 880 pull it out and put it back in primary? Or does it not work that way?

It doesn't work like that. The behavior you are observing is not normal... period. Putting in one 580M and one 880M is all just silly and unnecessary. Even if it worked, what about later? Jumping through hoops is a sign there is a problem in what should be an extremely simple and straightforward part installation.

So, stop everything. Put at least one 580M back in the primary slot, or put both of them back it and connect the SLI bridge cable. Either way is OK. If the system behaves correctly, then you were sold a bad GPU. We have already seen a few DOA or defective 880M cards, so just have the person you got it from send you a replacement or get a refund and buy one from another vendor. Don't fart around with that GPU any more... it's a broken turd.

If the 580M acts the same way, then something got screwed up in Windows and maybe a clean install is needed to fix the corruption.