GTX 880m 8go on M17X R4 120Hz 3D screen problem ?

Manu369

Okay I took the risk to flash with the vbios of godfafa, flash is good but it's always the same throttle, I really don't understand how you can have no throttle with the lastest driver version :confused:

So this is not a problem with the vbios, I guess another software problem, what is the version of windows do you use ?

Do you install the 3dvision controller when you install the driver ?

My current bios is A12 version, have you try with this version ? I'll try with the A11 version.

I tested the same thing and always the same problem.

I don't know where to search now

Ok you've tested my vbios and you still have the same proble, right?

If I were you, I'd go from the beginning, ie, reinstalling windows.

If that doesn't help, I have no idea.

• Bios Modder

I tested the same thing and always the same problem.

I don't know where to search now

Didn't the initial testing (done by the Tech Inferno guys svl7/Johnksss) of the 880M reveal that with newer drivers, if there are a number of crashes or throttling scenarios, then the 880M will then subsequently run with the performance of an Intel HD4000 iGPU and it seemed almost irreversible!? I guess that's the same issue you're having, and that's the issue you're trying to fix. I'm also unsure as to whether they managed to solve this particular problem by using the modified vBIOS that they created, I got the impression that this problem was still evident for them, but I could be wrong as it's a while since I read their 880M modified vBIOS article. I know this doesn't really help you solve the problem, but it would be interesting if it's the same problem that they were running into.

EDIT: Found where I had read this. This is Johnksss's review & his words on this very topic:

"What I found out was the new drivers break the card! If you crash one to many times your card will always down clock. Why? I have no clue. I had to use 327.23 drivers which ran perfect the whole time. Including gaming. I’ll get into that part much later. It seems that after a few driver not responding errors or driver crash errors your 900.00 dollar card wants to now run like an intel 4k GPU. Even stock will not work correctly anymore. You have to go through a whole lot to correct this situation (Only to crash again and have to go through the whole process again) or just use an earlier driver to bypass this nonsense altogether. "

You can find the above quote at the following link:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/746259-my-nvidia-gtx-880m-test-run-review.html

This is the problem you're facing I believe. Could be that Godfafa's card is not showing the problem because he's been fortunate enough not to have any crashes yet, which is why his card is still working fine. Just my theory, could be wrong!

EDIT 2: Johnksss talks about in that quote above saying "You have to through a whole lot to correct this situation...", but I couldn't find any reference to what that procedure was to correct the problem. I think you need to find out what that process was. Maybe I should have looked harder in that thread & I might have found the solution, but you're free to take a look at that thread I linked above if the answer is in there.

the problem is the same for me because I'm limited by the 327.23 driver and I don't know why, it's frustrating...

I edited my post a couple of minutes after your post. Have a look at my edits at the end of my previous post (specifically EDIT 2). I think you need to find out what that process is. (The answer might be in that thread?)

@Manu369, or maybe even try PM'ing Johnksss, he knows what the reset process is (because he did it). He might be able to tell you what the process is. He's been pretty good at responding to my PM's in the past, but I only PM'd him one time though.

- - - Updated - - -

@Robbo

The thing is I dont have that problem. Strange...

My theory is that it's because you've not had driver crashes/crashes (or not too many anyway). If you look in Johnksss's quote that I linked in a previous post you can see where he explains the problem.

I already read and quoted this thread about 880m without find the solution. I think Johnksss don't know how resolve this problem and because he has just tested the card for a few days.

edit: I'll send him a pm, hope he can help me...

Yes, I have a hunch that they might not know how to prevent the problem occurring in the first place, but I believe they know how to 'reset' the card so that you would no longer have the SEVERE throttling you're seeing. This is because he says "You have to go through a whole lot to correct this situation...". This implies that he knows how to 'reset' the card. If you don't ask you don't get, so might be worth PM'ing him - what's the worse that could happen - you might get a nice easy description of the reset process & might end up with a card that works just like godfafa's. If I was you I'd try to find out.

@Robbo

Yeah you are probably right, or maybe I should say johnksss is right.

The vbios Manu369 had was different and that of johnksss was different from mine. I believe nvidia fixed that problem because the new alienware which is preinstalled with 880m has the same vbios as mine. And I never had a single problem with my 880m in m17x R4 with any of NVIDIA's beta or WHQL driver. People who bought the new alienware with 880m dont have this issue too. People from MSI or ASUS dont have this issue too.

I think the vbios from 880m which was leaked from nvidia before any laptop with 880m was released, is causing the problem.

But when I flash my vbios with the vbios from godfafa, the card should be reset, don't you ?

I remember reading a post from Mr Fox, a prominent user & overclocking enthusiast (on this site & notebook review forums), that a vBIOS flash doesn't reset this problem - I could be wrong about that as I'm just going off my memory. I still think you need to find out what the 'reset' process is - you've PM'd Johnksss, so I think you're on the right track by doing that.

EDIT: Just had a thought. Did you try uninstalling the driver, then using a free program called "Display Driver Uninstaller" to completely remove all remnants of NVidia drivers, and then re-installing the NVidia drivers? I think that might have been the first thing I suggested to you already, but can't remember. Just posting this in case you hadn't tried this.

yes I always uninstall correctly the driver before each test

Yes, but Display Driver Uninstaller:

Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 12.7.1.0

The program at that link removes ALL traces of NVidia drivers allowing for a completely clean install. Did you try using that program? (It worked for another user who was having strange throttling problems in some programs).

• Bios Modder

The reasons for this can only be 3 things.

1. Vbios

2. NVidia drivers

3. Windows (registry, etc.) The first two things already tried. There was only Windows. Or need to clean the entire registry or reinstall Windows. Nothing more can not be. Miracles do not happen.

• Bios Modder
@Klem

Thanks for the mod vbios.

I've just tried. It seems my gpu clock is throttling down to 600s clock.

Maybe this is due to the OC you made?

May be. Write me to email, and we can try more attempts.

@Manu369 & @godfafa, and anyone else reading this. Looks like the modified vBIOS for the 880M has just been released! You might want to try it.

It's in post #2 of this thread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html