M17XR4 upgrade GPU to GTX780M

icon5.png.pagespeed.ce.WFj_2USVdI.png <!-- google_ad_section_start -->M17XR4 upgrade GPU to GTX780M<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello,

I try to install a GTX780M on my M17XR4, origin is a GTX675M.

Problem, I have read several forums looking for specific information, but it is difficult to make sense of things.

I seek a tutorial that shows all the stages of change.

Can you help me "how to".

thank you<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi @cravenbeer, welcome to T|I.

M17xR4 GTX 780M installation (Windows 7 skip step 2 and 4).

- First flash stock A11 BIOS (disable secure boot and set legacy boot instead) then follow method 2 (FPT), A11 unlocked BIOS http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html (with the 3D model you can skip this step since PEG is the default configuration, still I recommend flashing for further tweaking)

Thermal Pad Placement - Fujipoly Extreme System Builder Thermal Pad - Sheet - 150 x 100 x 0.5 - Thermal Conductivity 11.0 W/mK

m0d5.png

Verify that the card is properly seated https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEk_ZFAzLI#t=3m51s

1) BIOS settings, F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> F10 reboot.

2) Win8/8.1, disable driver signing

.1 -Open command prompt (Admin) windows key + X

.2 -Type "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes" (without quotes) enter.

.3 -"The operation concluded successfully"

.4 -Type exit> reboot.

3) Driver installation.

Download GeForce 344.11 WHQL

.1 -Extract using 7-zip/winrar

.2 -Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvdmi.inf.

.3 -Nvidia...International folder\ run setup exe.

.4 -Select custom install -> Check clean install option.

.5 -Reboot.

nvdmni.inf (unzip) nvdmi.inf v344.11

4) Exit test mode

.1 -Command prompt (Admin).

.2 -Type "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no" enter.

.3 -Type exit -> reboot.

You need 5 quality posts or T|I Elite Membership for immediate download rights.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yep, you may skip this ( still disable secure boot and set legacy boot).

- First flash stock A11 BIOS (disable secure boot and set legacy boot instead) then follow method 2 (FPT), A11 unlocked BIOS http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html (with the 3D model you can skip this step since PEG is the default configuration, still I recommend flashing for further tweaking)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! Thank you for you work! I have Alienware M17xR4 CPU 3710 Windows 8.1 radeon hd 7970m(Radeon hd7970m died) and updated graphics card to gtx 870m! (bought in the eBay) fulfilled all the above written and it worked!! :Banane03:

BUT!!! I can not install drivers 337,50 and 337.88 ((( if I do string replacement sign inf* my 870m(PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1199&SUBSYS_05801028&REV_A1\4&13F92896&0&0008) then pass on in the installation process but the driver is not installed, the control panel only, but - Once this driver is suitable for installationdraiver v326.29 Windows 8 64bit | NVIDIA Mobile OEM - GeForce r326 series - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

what I take steps to remedy the situation? and why is this happening?

:disturbed:

I understand that I will now only work gtx870m, what about Optimus? it does not affect its service life?

Hi there, disable driver signing before installing drivers.

cmd (admin) Win key + X

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> reboot -> install drivers.

Exit test mode.

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no

-> reboot.

Hi there, disable driver signing before installing drivers.

cmd (admin) Win key + X

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> reboot -> install drivers.

Exit test mode.

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning no

-> reboot.

Yes, yes...i did but work only with v.326.29 driver

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am using google translate so I apologize for the way to be translated my question, I have a alienware m17x r3 with a 1600 x 900 screen with 60hz and 6970M video card, I have problems with the brightness when using peg, as I used to peg the maximum brightness to peg me as the driver in beta and new work, I have installed the A12 bios Unlocked. Thanks and sorry if I ask here but could not send a message to j95.

• 5 months later...
thanks J95.. one more question: after the install, how is the driver updated? (I presume no automatic driver updates from Nvidia, right? where do we get the new drivers?) thanks again!!

Nope, manual updates only.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ehmm.. I need help. I followed EXACTLY the procedure as is in the first topic post, up to:

1) BIOS settings, F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> F10 reboot.

everything was ok. After this line, on rebooting, now the PC won't boot. It goes on, total black screen, and a TUT - TUT - TUT - TUT sound that seems some kind of alarm.

Any suggestion? It seems I can't even enter the bios options.

Ehmm.. I need help. I followed EXACTLY the procedure as is in the first topic post, up to:

everything was ok. After this line, on rebooting, now the PC won't boot. It goes on, total black screen, and a TUT - TUT - TUT - TUT sound that seems some kind of alarm.

Any suggestion? It seems I can't even enter the bios options.

Why dont you try to flash your 780m with svl7's unlocked vbios.

I think you've done quite right. It maybe vbios that's the problem. Where did you buy your 780m from?

yeah, I think so. I did reinstall the 660 and the PC boots. so it's simply not liking the 780 as is.

I did buy the card from a guy that sold it to me as "already flashed with a TechInferno VBIOS" but he was using it on a M15. (maybe it needs a different VBIOS?)

BTW.. I am scavenging the forums but I can't find where to download the svl7 unlocked VBIOS for the 780M.. anyone can please link that? (I found a guide made by svl7 to do the flash, but no VBIOS there..)

I'm back with the 780 AND the integrated HD enabled (only way to boot with 780). The 780 is viewed by windows as basic Microsoft display adapter. Also, in BIOS I can see the card, it appears as Nvidia GTX, under something like "discrete graphic 1", just after the integrated one.

So - as per the procedure of the topic - I went on and tried to install the modified nVidia drivers. I'm following the procedure exactly: the only difference, is that I am running on the integrated Intel card, because if I don't, the PC doesn't boot, black screen and alarm sound. So I'm just skipping the line where in BIOS I do disable the Intel HD and set display as PEG.

The nVidia driver installed, and (just for once) the 780M correctly appeared in windows Device Manager. I can't run Nvidia Control Panel, though, it won't start. MSI afterburner only sees the Intel HD. Everything is running only on the Intel HD, there is no automatic switch to Nvidia, and since I can't start Nvidia Control Panel, I can't even manually tell him to launch the applications using Nvidia.

So.. I rebooted, without any changes. What happens now, is that it boots, windows loads, but I have a black screen, I only see the mouse cursor. I can understand windows is running, because the mouse cursor behaves like if I'm in the login window: when I move it on the screen, it changes to text cursor, if I click return it changes to rotating wheel.. etc. Sometimes the language and wi-fi icons flash. But all is black.

So.. I rebooted and entered BIOS, tried disabling the Intel HD, setted screen as PEG. Again: no boot, TUT-TUT-TUT-TUT sound.

I've run the BIOS diagnostics tests, everything comes up fine. I'm not sure it tests the Nvidia, though. It definitively tests a "GPU" and tests some VRAM, but it may be Intel's.

I've started Windows in safe mode, the Nvidia is OK in Device Manager.

Later, I tried both 344.11 and 344.75 drivers, no change - also tried not installing the 3D components. I've read about deleting some of the drivers directories (Driver.Optimus, etc.. but after trying that Windows was not able to boot, had to set IGFX and uninstall all).

Still, only way I can use the PC with the 780M is either safe mode, or not having drivers installed, or setting display to use only the integrated card (IGFX). I wonder this might somehow similar to the IDT audio issue that I see troubled many R3 owners?! (except R4 has Sound Blaster, not IDT..)

Now I'm back on the 660M. :72:

WTF??

everything works fine if I do the BIOS thing on the 660M.. windows boots, it just appeared on low resolution, but I had the 780M modified drivers installed..

so.. this can only mean the card is f****ed?

@uforoboso

Try cleaning the connectors with a dry soft cloth and reseat the card a couple of times.

Lastly, repeat the BIOS/settings with the 660M, if it boots normally then 780M faulty card.

Then install the 660M -> disable IGP and set Display to PEG.

• Thumbs Up 1

well.. I did swap both cards a few times, I installed/unistalled (physically) the 780 at least 3 times, and it seems clean.. I'll try again but I think the issue must be somewhere else.. thanks a lot, J95.

UPDATE: so I did install the 780 physically for the fourth time (that I can remember for sure). did the BIOS thing: PC black screen and alarm sound. reinstalled 660M, all ok.

NOW.. just a little question more: what about trying to re-flash the card's VBIOS? may be a last test worth trying, or it is totally useless?

• 4 years later...