Notebook for Multimedia Work

radiopetushki

Question

Hello everyone.

Stumbled upon this forum and thought I'd tap into the community to see what comes up.

I am hoping to replace my aging Macbook with a Windows machine. I am a student and on a Sub-$1000 budget.

I am looking for something with a lot of processing power (Core i7?) and able to handle loads with Audio Interfaces running through Ableton/Pro Tools as well as the infrequent use of Final Cut.

I am hoping for something under 17 inches. I don't need a numpad or a touchcreen.

I have been doing some research about the Lenovo y410p but am apprehensive about pulling the trigger from the mixed reviews I've seen. I was thinking of getting it anyway and swapping the network card. Any insights into expandability/moddability for adding firewire interfaces?

Thanks a bunch

7 answers to this question

Well I have the lenovo Y500 which is the older version of the lenovo Y510P(which is the larger brother of the Y410p) . It is an average laptop in my opinion.Good hardware and quality.However the most nagging things with this laptop are the WLAN Card and Boot times.Especially my booting time.It is up to 5 minutes and after fresh windows install,the boot timing returns normal but only for a few weeks and then it returns back to its frustrating booting time.Doesn't know if it is a bios version related problem or a HDD or what the heck with it.Also the WLAN card is pretty weak.It drops signal more than lower price laptops with lower specs but I have seen people changing the wireless Lan to overcome this problem.Please note that this is my experience and it may vary from a user to another.

However there are some pretty sturdy alternatives to Lenovo y410p or y510p that are in your budget

[h=1]ASUS N550JV-DB72T Notebook Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 15.6" Touchscreen Windows 8 64-Bit ~1000$

MSI GE Series GE60 2OE-003US Gaming Notebook Intel Core i7 4700MQ (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M 2GB GDDR5 15.6" Windows 8 64-Bit ~1000$

MSI GE Series GE60 Apache Pro-003 Gaming Notebook Intel Core i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 64-Bit ~1250$[/h]

I would also recommend the lenovo y500 or the y510p. Lenovo and amazon usually have pretty good deals on the 510p. Both of their bios can be flashed to accept new WLAN cards. I can't say I've had long boot times either. Mine consistently boots in under 30 seconds. Ahmedsalab above may have some technical issues going on.

Both the y500 and the y510p are powerhouses for the price tag

I have recently bought a Lenovo Y510P from newegg and it has been great. If high temps bother you, you can do the simple fan shroud cut. Some of the reviews on newegg were pretty concerning but I bought it anyways and I have to admit that it is a darn good laptop for the price.

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59409581) Gaming Notebook Intel Core i5 4200M (2.5GHz) 6GB Memory 500GB SSHD HDD Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com

Fan shroud mod: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud yo... - Lenovo Community

I have recently bought a Lenovo Y510P from newegg and it has been great. If high temps bother you, you can do the simple fan shroud cut. Some of the reviews on newegg were pretty concerning but I bought it anyways and I have to admit that it is a darn good laptop for the price.

Laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p (59409581) Gaming Notebook Intel Core i5 4200M (2.5GHz) 6GB Memory 500GB SSHD HDD Dual NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI 2GB 15.6" Windows 8.1 - Newegg.com

Fan shroud mod: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud yo... - Lenovo Community

I would also recommend the Y510p

The SLI is just powerful and great for gaming but I don't think you will get the advantage of it if you are just for Multimedia Work