WIHD alienware m17x r4

Siplast

I'm looking to install WIHD on alienware m17x r4 and having a hard time finding much info online. Running alienware m17x r4 with gtx 680m, windows 7 home premium ,Samsung 840 pro ,wd 750gb hdd, killer 1103 ,Bluetooth 380 4.0,intel 3940xm. I have ordered WIHD card from dell 5xhg5 which is supposed to be compatible with ivy bridge and I believe I need to install antenna assembly KVROY but the source of my info is not very reliable. I do not know if the antenna will come with routing diagram or not. On a separate note had anyone on site solved the problem of running 3d on 780m installed on m17x r4?

Any help would be great and thanks.

Spoke to alienware rep today who stated: optimus is required to use wihd. Wihd will only utilize intel graphics card making it useless for gaming(statement of rep). For those of you using a killer wireless, wihd will not work as it is preconfigure to use the intel card 2230. To make it work with killer 1103 you must use 3rd party driver and antenna and receiver. It will still only use optimus and intel graphics card according to the rep.

Spoke to a diff. AW tech. rep. who was actually very helpful. It has been my experience that most reps you get on the phone are of course simpletons and lazy. This rep stated that m17x r4 uses sibeam and that indeed using gtx even in dedicated mode will transmit to the tv and that optimus plays no part nor does the intel 2230 wireless. I have received the card from dell which is dell part 5xhg5 . The dell tech however could not find the part number for the antenna but said that they would escalate the search and send me info. Once I find the part number I will post. I guess I am the only one interested in adding this feature to m17x r4 but I will continue to post new info in hopes that It might help someone down the road.

It could be that the part number is KVROY .but dell shows this as a Bluetooth antenna. Dell is supposed to email me mon. and let me know the correct part number. In the mean time I have ordered the antenna KVROY from ebay for 45.00 used and I will update after install.

• 3 weeks later...

I have tried this. It won't work with nvidia cards. It may work with AMD cards and Intel but I have never got it to work in my laptop. It will however work perfectly in a M17x R3 with any GPU.

I had just today reviewed your comments on notebook forum and I was hoping to contact you. I installed the card and antenna mentioned today and first all booted but my wireless connection would not work. When I rebooted I got black screen and seven beeps. I rebooted several times with black screen and 7 beeps and have come to the same conclusion . I am going to attempt to contact sibeam /silicon image to see what they have to say but It will be in vain no doubt. Dell gave me a parts list for r3 saying r3 parts would work but after following what little is out their on the subject I don't believe r3 parts are compatible with Ivybridge/

3rd gen cpus. Would you please confirm that you have tried r3 parts for this and that they will not work ?

• Thumbs Up 1

I had just today reviewed your comments on notebook forum and I was hoping to contact you. I installed the card and antenna mentioned today and first all booted but my wireless connection would not work. When I rebooted I got black screen and seven beeps. I rebooted several times with black screen and 7 beeps and have come to the same conclusion . I am going to attempt to contact sibeam /silicon image to see what they have to say but It will be in vain no doubt. Dell gave me a parts list for r3 saying r3 parts would work but after following what little is out their on the subject I don't believe r3 parts are compatible with Ivybridge/

3rd gen cpus. Would you please confirm that you have tried r3 parts for this and that they will not work ?

I have tried R3 parts which are Sibeam Gen2 and even the R4 parts - Sibeam Gen3 which came out when the R4 was first released but quickly pulled. I have tried every combination I can think of with no luck whatsoever. I messaged an Alienware rep (a reputable one) who informed me that with their testing, they have never gotten WiHD to work on an R4 with an nvidia card.

• 1 month later...
I have tried R3 parts which are Sibeam Gen2 and even the R4 parts - Sibeam Gen3 which came out when the R4 was first released but quickly pulled. I have tried every combination I can think of with no luck whatsoever. I messaged an Alienware rep (a reputable one) who informed me that with their testing, they have never gotten WiHD to work on an R4 with an nvidia card.

So Alienware Rep was wrong. I've had my Alienware m17xR4 working with the WiHD technology from the m18xR2. I have the nvidia 680m as well. I've been using it for almost 2 years.

So Alienware Rep was wrong. I've had my Alienware m17xR4 working with the WiHD technology from the m18xR2. I have the nvidia 680m as well. I've been using it for almost 2 years.

Tell me more! What bios are you using and what LCD screen version do you have?

Just the 1920x1080 version non3d, doubt it matters. The 2 part numbers I'm about to list you need to get for the m18xr2 because the antenna is too short for the m17.

5XHG5 - WiHD Card

KVR0Y - Antenna

Also you will need a receiver keep that in mind.

The hope was to run games and movies via wihd using the gtx 680 only which is not possible on the r4. If you are running wihd you must be using onboard intel graphics card which is not comparable to gtx 680m for performance. If you are not convinced ,use your f7 key to change to the NVidia card and you will see that wihd will not work.

The hope was to run games and movies via wihd using the gtx 680 only which is not possible on the r4. If you are running wihd you must be using onboard intel graphics card which is not comparable to gtx 680m for performance. If you are not convinced ,use your f7 key to change to the NVidia card and you will see that wihd will not work.

Ah it is as I suspected. You technically aren't running on the dedicated GPU. I have the 120hz version I don't have switchable graphics which means I'm stuck on my GPU which is not compatible with WiHD in the R4. Thanks for confirming that!

• Thumbs Up 1