EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

@Uftherr

Hi buddy!

Did you play around with reset-delay, a toggle switch at top-left-front of the adapter? The 2570P wants the GPU to powered up before the adapter get registered. When the delay is active, it should take a couple of seconds for the GPU to registered in the system after inserting the EC.

The Dell adapter should not make any noise at all during stress, I have not heard a sound from mine, are you sure that this is not the sound from the GPU rendering graphics?

If it is the adapter I would contact yoybuy support right away and tell them that the adapter is broken and that you request a new one right away!

I have 3 adapters from them and all of them works flawlessly.

Please report back!

Hey guys, I went for the EXP GDC to give it at try, came today after 10 days o_o, anyways, I have NO idea on how to make the whole thing get working.

I have a 350W PSU, and with the PE4L, there was the 24 pin to power on/off, here I have nothing so I'm wondering if it's even feasable?

Thanks, the sound definitely comes from the power brick. It's some kind of crackling and cracking sound.

I think the GTX 570 consumes more power than the 670, right? Maybe it's the psu being stressed too much as it runs flawlessly in idle-mode.

@coyote

It seems that you have to connect the EXP GDC to your notebook and power it up to make it work. This is very nice if you ask me as you can't forget to turn off your egpu anymore.

@Uftherr Thanks. Actually I tried what you said, hooked everything up, turned on the laptop, the PSU and GPU fans spinned for 1 sec then stopped. I think something might be wrong with the the EXP GDC itself.

EDIT: Ok, it seems that it was the ExpressCard that wasn't inserted well, now I have a blue light and fans are spinning, changing switches make fan spin more or less fastly BUT nothing is detected. No GTX on GPUZ, no Nvidia Control Panel...Anyone some help?

EDIT: ExpressCard seems fine actually, I need to put the switch on the other position BUT and this is a big but (no joke on words lol) the 24 pin which is split between a 4 pins and 20 pins had some issues: the 4 pins began to BURN!! :beat_shot: I turned the whole off and now I'm a little worried to continue the setup. Also, the card isn't recognized yet.

I took pictures but the quality is very bad. I would like to know if someone managed to get a EXP GDC setup with a PSU. There's something weird and I maybe am going to say something dumb. The 4 pins from the ATX adapter is "inverted" of the EXP GDC. Now imagine a key (4pin of EXP GDC) that should enter a lock (PSU 4 pin), you managed to enter the key but not as it's supposed to be but upside down, making the whole crack ----> burn.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this way but I'm suspecting something with the 24 ATX pin adapter from the EXP GDC.

EDIT: Ok some pics (qualitu is the poorest ever made)

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/88018383/file.html

http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/5636501/file.html

Did the 4 pin connector from the psu or from the exp gdc burn?

What power supply are you using? Does it have "native" 6 pin pcie cords? if yes, I'd recommend using them

I have a Corsair VS 350, all the white plugs are either from the GPU or the EXP GDC, never from the PSU. I only have a 8 pin from the PSU. No native 6 pin. BTW I already have a PE4L 2.1b that works flawless.

When I plug the EXP GDC EC, only the PSU fan spins, the GPU is dead silent.

Edit: SOLVED!! Ok so there was a 6+2 pin from the PSU. What you asked me tickled my ear. I forgot about this cable. took the 6 pin hooked it in the EXP GDC...and voila!! Hotplug and everything fine. I still need the 8 pin to hook it up into the GPU since it wouldn't run with all it functionnalities (PhysX, CUDA..). Credits to you @Uftherr :)

#2 edit: went today to buy an aditionnal molex PCI-e 6pin and a molex adaptor 4 pin, now everything is fine and I like that blue light.

Jesus christ, I've not had time reading the thread this weekend and now people are having cable fire?! :S

Did you use the special ATX cable that should be bought separarely (see first post) in order to use ATX power? There is inverted polarity otherwise!

I'm impressed if the EXP GDC survived this :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Did the 4 pin connector from the psu or from the exp gdc burn?

What power supply are you using? Does it have "native" 6 pin pcie cords? if yes, I'd recommend using them

See my last post, do not use PCIe power cables straight to the DA-2 power interface!

This will burn your EXP GDC due to reverse polarity. @coyote

See my last post, do not use PCIe power cables straight to the DA-2 power interface!

This will burn your EXP GDC due to reverse polarity. @coyote

Yeah there's some issue I wouldn't had expected, the 24 ATX pin specially. The 4 pin are inverted, they burned but somehow the EXP GDC survived. As I mentionned, I had to buy some other connectors, put 6 pin to the EXP and 8 pin of the 24 pin adapter, the 4 pin though, since it burned, weren't connected.

Everything is working nice now no worries :)

Hi,

Since I started rendering with Blender I would love to order an EXP GDC to Germany for rendering with CUDAs on my x220 but don't know if there could be problems with the german customs duty (Because I think there is an EC sign required to import it to Europe and I don't know if it has one).

So I wanted to ask the european people if they had any trouble importing it.

Thank you and greetings from Germany :)

Hi,

Since I started rendering with Blender I would love to order an EXP GDC to Germany for rendering with CUDAs on my x220 but don't know if there could be problems with the german customs duty (Because I think there is an EC sign required to import it to Europe and I don't know if it has one).

So I wanted to ask the european people if they had any trouble importing it.

Thank you and greetings from Germany :)

Well Sweden has those regulations too, I never encountered any problems importing any weird electronics from China.

My gut tells me you should be just fine =)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah there's some issue I wouldn't had expected, the 24 ATX pin specially. The 4 pin are inverted, they burned but somehow the EXP GDC survived. As I mentionned, I had to buy some other connectors, put 6 pin to the EXP and 8 pin of the 24 pin adapter, the 4 pin though, since it burned, weren't connected.

Everything is working nice now no worries :)

Wow that's amazing (and plenty luck)!

I did the same thing once, my EXP GDC fried so I had to replace it. On the upper hand I've found other applications for it =)

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow that's amazing (and plenty luck)!

I did the same thing once, my EXP GDC fried so I had to replace it. On the upper hand I've found other applications for it =)

Lol I was sitting trying the whole setup, just looking at it and saw some smoke beginning to come from the 4 pin, I disconnected the EC, waited a couple of secs and unplugged that 4 pin. Luckily the EXP GDC survived...It's somehow risky and they should provide some advices for first time users to avoid them such mistakes.

Anyways the eGPU setup is running fine, tried WatchDogs (which is a mess), BF4, Crysis 3, all are good. The unplug-turn off feature is great as much as the restart laptop without having to go through the unplug-replug process.

• Thumbs Up 1

@bruggi

You don't have to worry about that ec sign thing, I bought the adapter just as well and I'm in Germany. The only thing is that you probably will have to pay customs (which for me was about 23€).

However, I had some problems with my EXP GDC, it seems the cable is broken. If you ask me, I'd recommend either getting the new PE4C 1.2 or the good old PE4L 2.1b, then you can be sure they'll run flawlessly.

Thanks for the quick response. It seems to have some things in addition to the EXP GDC V6 and the complete package is also cheaper, what a shame though, that you can't buy it without a Dell PSU.

Yeah it's pretty similar specs.

I'm not sure about cheaper though, I always pay a lot of shipping and customs when ordering from bplus. Hopefully they've done something about it.

Wanted to report some issue with the EXP GDC.

I was playing heavy demanding games such as Crysis or Watch Dogs, I get a BSOD with "Video DXGKRNL Fatal Error" which seems to be related to watchdogs.sys and nvlddmkm.sys.

Looked around on Google for about a week trying to figure out what was the issue, ran through myriad of troubleshooters, reinstalled Win8, upgraded to 8.1. Nope.

Playing BF4 I had no BSOD but at times FPS would drop, a look to GPUZ and Gen2 "switches" to Gen1. Took EXP GDC and plugged back the PE4L and Crysis 3 ran flawless.

I have no clue why this is happening. I mean why EXP can't maintain the Gen2 speed.

EDIT: crazy grammar errors. Aw my Gawd!

• Thumbs Up 1

@coyote

It appears to be another case of a bad cable I'm afraid.

I where you I would demand a replacement cable. It's important that such issues are reported back to Cloud in order for him to recognize eventual quality issues. Please report back here!

By the way, BF4 seems to have a lot of fps drops for me as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

@rubayethk

1. Yes, the dGPU needs to be disabled in order to have Nvidia Optimus compression, aka x1.2opt.

2. Depending from system to system it can vary in which stage you are supose to connect the eGPU:

NOTE: I'd start with connecting it inside windows first and see if it recognized, secondary would be after BIOS post screen, or halt at win boot logo and start eGPU from there.

3. After the 'standard VGA-adapter' gets installed it'll require a reboot, but first unplug the EC-card (or read NOTE), then reboot to system to windows again, insert EC-card again and install NVIDIA drivers.

NOTE: There is a 2-way reset-delay switch on the EXP GDC (look at front-top-left side), one of the settings should enable you to reboot w/o ejecting the EC-card.

4. Good to hear about the TOLUD, with a large TOLUD you won't have to do any DSDT override. Sounds like you have a plug n play setup here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Post your here results later on =)

GLHF

EDIT: I'd warmly recommend to buy a Asus mini GTX670, covers the adapter perfectly =)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11744[/ATTACH]

Hi, I am having an issue. I got the setup to work with a gtx750 the exp gdc v6 and a HP zbook. I had to disable my dgpu and when i plugged in the egpu in windows it auto detected it. I installed drivers and restarted. The plugged back the egpu and everything worked.

This morning, I rebooted and it cant seem to find the egpu when plugged in. If i plug it in the fans on the egpu are going super fast and doesnt slow down. I had renabled my dgpu and tried disabling that, but no luck. Still wont recognize the egpu. I tried plugging it in during boot (windows logo) and still wont find it. The fans on the egpu are going super fast and loud.

Any advice?