EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Quick question for someone more technologically knowledgeable than myself. The stock HDMI cable that comes with the EXP GDC 6.1 is quite bulky, rigid and long for my purposes. I am trying to use the device in a small form factor build involving a Gigabyte Brix and am curious as to whether I can use the mPCIe to mini HDMI adapter and thin cable from a PE4L without losing bandwidth/performance.

Hello guys

I am also looking to buy exp dgc from yoybuy.com (btw: maybe you should update first post with the direct link to yoybuy EXP GDC an external PCI-e video card laptop external Expresscard Kit Item), but when entering 2000g in weight select step (default is 190g) shipping costs go up from $4.81(airmail) / $26.02 (DHL) to $37.85 (airmail) / $46.44 (DHL), which is a rather big jump (I used a shipping costs calculator and price is very similar for EU countries and US).

Is it really necessary to change weight to 2000g? How exactly can customer know what is the correct weight of the package?

If you leave it by 190g, then you don't get D220P adapter, or do you? Those of you who've ordered with yoybuy, did you all change the weight to 2000g?

Quick question for someone more technologically knowledgeable than myself. The stock HDMI cable that comes with the EXP GDC 6.1 is quite bulky, rigid and long for my purposes. I am trying to use the device in a small form factor build involving a Gigabyte Brix and am curious as to whether I can use the mPCIe to mini HDMI adapter and thin cable from a PE4L without losing bandwidth/performance.

Are you saying that PE4L has leaner cable than EXP GDC? I have them both and they are the same format of flat cable, so no difference, except EXP GDC is detachable and PE4L is not.

Or are you maybe talking about the PCIEMM-060B cable for the PE4L V1.5?

There might be a good chance that this cable could be used with a HDMI-to-miniHDMI adapter together with the EXP GDC and achieve a GEN2 link, but you would be the first to try =)

Are you saying that PE4L has leaner cable than EXP GDC? I have them both and they are the same format of flat cable, so no difference, except EXP GDC is detachable and PE4L is not.

Or are you maybe talking about the PCIEMM-060B cable for the PE4L V1.5?

There might be a good chance that this cable could be used with a HDMI-to-miniHDMI adapter together with the EXP GDC and achieve a GEN2 link, but you would be the first to try =)

Yeah that is the piece I am asking about. Will go ahead and try if no one else has and report back.

@CBabs

Even smarter would be to try the [PM3N] + [Hdmi mini to hdmi cable] + [EXP GDC] <-- This proposal is the best, since you eliminate the number of intermediate connections that might jeopardize the GEN2 link speed.

I have done testings with a HDMI pigtail in between and I manage keep my GEN2 link, so you might get lucky, but no promises.

EDIT: Make sure to use a high quality cable.

I have been trying to extend my HDMI connection on the EXP with no success.

Think all the cables haven't been decent enough, waiting on some 1.4a standard to arrive.

Yeah that is the piece I am asking about. Will go ahead and try if no one else has and report back.

You know what!

The chance that EXP GDC pinout and the BPlus PM3N pinout would match is not very likely, I think it will result in waste of money :S

Oh, and also potentially dangerous for the system of course!

- - - Updated - - -

I have been trying to extend my HDMI connection on the EXP with no success.

Think all the cables haven't been decent enough, waiting on some 1.4a standard to arrive.

I tried with a pigtail w/o any problems at all. I cant tell what HMDI version the cables has but it worked!

I have similar laptop but with windows 8.1

Fujitsu Lifebook AH532/G21, Intel core i7-3612QM, 6GB RAM

Which set should i buy and is my Expresscard speed 1x 2x or 4x ?

Does it work just plug and play in windows 8.1 ?

thank you mate already for tips

@patarauta

Hi buddy!

1. Expresscard speed: The south bridge of your laptop decides the buss speed of your system, x1 @GEN1 (2.5Gb/s) or x1 @GEN2 (5Gb/s). In your case GEN2.

2. What set to buy: It all comes down to which GPU you are planing to use. If the GPU has lower TDP than 220W, then buy the complete package. If you are going for a card with higher consumption, go for the 'w/o power supply' order, since you'll need ATX power.

3. It seems like WIN8.1 is easier to use with the eGPU setup due to better handling of address space (PCI memory allocation).

• Thumbs Up 1

@patarauta

Hi buddy!

1. Expresscard speed: The south bridge of your laptop decides the buss speed of your system, x1 @GEN1 (2.5Gb/s) or x1 @GEN2 (5Gb/s). In your case GEN2.

2. What set to buy: It all comes down to which GPU you are planing to use. If the GPU has lower TDP than 220W, then buy the complete package. If you are going for a card with higher consumption, go for the 'w/o power supply' order, since you'll need ATX power.

3. It seems like WIN8.1 is easier to use with the eGPU setup due to better handling of address space (PCI memory allocation).

Using Nvidia GTX660 can you make a list for me what to buy and where they are cheapest ?

I prefer full ready solution

- - - Updated - - -

Using Nvidia GTX660 can you make a list for me what to buy and where they are cheapest ?

I prefer full ready solution

I mean there are many versions (up to 3.2 etc..) i need complete list of components...sorry, i'm newbie in eGpu stuff

@patarauta

You don't need a list of components, you would want the $99 complete package expresscard version, don't forget to put 2000g when they ask for weight!

I'm using EXP GDC V6.0 and the 220W PSU (complete package) with my GTX670, which draws more power than your GTX660.

EDIT: I think you might confusing EXP GDC with the PE4H v3.2 adapter?

Hi everybody!

I ordered my expresscard exp gdc 6.0 from www.kiinatukku.fi. It is similar to yoybuy but in Finnish. They charge 10% as yoybuy does plus a 2 € fee per item. The cost with shipping to Finland was 65 € (89$). They took pictures of the product before I accepted shipping. Estimated shipping time is 14-40 days.

My laptop is Fujitsu SH531, core i5-2430m, 4GB. I will buy a GTX750 TI and have to do DSDT override. Hopefully it works.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Jakkara

Nice find!

After you receive your items, please report back from your purchase experience. Also, the 220W power supply is included?

EDIT: They doesn't seem to be shipping to Sweden and US.

Yes, psu and gpu power cable are included. Actually the original seller was Cloudhero in Taobao.

Been seeing a couple people unhappy with the postage cost, shipping from China. I'll post this again.

If anyone is interested. I'm selling my EXP GDC v6.0. So, if you don't want to import from China or save on shipping, the item is located in Toronto.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Price is the cost that I purchased for USD$48 + tax/shipping, which was purchased at aliexpress.

Item condition: Not used.

Send private message if interested. I will update this post when gone. (still available at this point)

I have been messing about trying to extend the HDMI PCIe cable of the 6.0, and have had success with a 25cm HDMI1.4a with Ethernet extension cable from eBay (about £2).

It appears to be stable, no BSODs or weirdness going on, however unfortunately performance does seem to be impacted.

I haven't done much in the way of empirical evidence, I only ran DX11 Valley, but as shown you only get 80% of the performance:

post-10650-14494997689773_thumb.png

So, if you wanted to use HDMI cable to extend the EXP, maybe to put it in an enclosure with a neat port on for EGPU In, it is possible, but you are eating away at your already limited PCIe1x performance, so unless you are only using your eGPU for the purpose of driving a many-monitor array for productivity, I wouldn't recommend it.

For example, when playing Strike Vector on the Internal LCD, without extension cable it sits at 62fps happily, yet with the extra cable it struggles to get much over 45, and the game feels a lot less responsive somehow.

Hope this is useful for someone.

• Thumbs Up 2

GPU-Z states the GPU is running at Gen2 at desktop and when in valley benchmark. So I would assume it did work at Gen2, it's interesting because you'd think it would either work, or doesn't, not just slow down a little.

That's the only test I've done so far and found no performance loss at all. Although my extension is only 20cm.

What extension cable are you using? Or did you create it by yourself?

@rhx123

Ok thanks!

Could you compare a 3DMark11 run w/ and w/o extension? That's the only test I've done so far and found no performance loss at all. Although my extension is only 20cm.

Here you go pal

post-10650-14494997689882_thumb.png

I wouldn't think 5cm make that much difference.

This is the cable I bought.

I wouldn't have thought that the HDMI cable that comes with those android TVs was of that higher quality, hmm.

Oh well, it's not the end of the world, I wanted to use it to have clean enclosure, but the size of the plug is too big anyway.