EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hi all,

I have a problem with my egpu setup concerning error 43.

Setup:

Msi gp60 laptop UEFI boot(when i enter the bios using DEL key, the external monitor shows up but becomes black when entering windows)

I7 4700mq

Gt740m

Windows 10 64bit

Exp gdc beast v8(atx:on ptd:off)

Zotac gtx 1050 mini (no 6pin power)

Seasonic eco 400 atx psu

And here are the steps that I've done so far:

1. DDU. Reboot.

2. Install drivers 372.xx(only gt740m was installed, gtx1050 was shown as "basic display adapter"), 375.xx(both gpus were intalled but i get error 43 for gtx1050).

3. I also tried disabling the dgpu via device manager then repeat steps 1 and 2, but there is still error 43.

I hope somebody can help me with this.. 

Thank you.

@n3uralhack3r

No wrong, remove all drivers whatsoever with DDU, disable windows from downloading any 3rd party software in Windows Updates and disable the card (the laptop GPU) in device manager. Once all is clear of that, start your laptop and put it to sleep, once asleep hot swap the wificard for the GPU and wake the laptop (your GPU should start to run). At this point windows should detect the eGPU as basic display adapter, go to NVIDIA website and download the latest driver and install. DO NOT RESTART, after you have installed the new GPU drivers, put the laptop to sleep and hot swap the GPU for the wificard, wake the laptop then restart. Once the laptop has restarted, put it to sleep and hot swap the wificard for the GPU and wake the laptop. AT this point you should be able to use the GPU as normal.

Edited by Mr_Western

Hi All!

First, I would like to thank all the people who helped me in this forum(especially @Mr_Western and @master blaster 2.0).

Here is my setup:

Laptop: MSI GP60 20D

Proc: i7 4700MQ

iGPU: HD4600

dGPU: GT740M

PSU: Seasonic ECO 400w

eGPU: EXP GDC Beast v8.4d(mPCIe) + Zotac GTX1050 mini 2GB

After two sleepless nights, I have finally got my eGPU to work with GTX1050 mini 2GB.

Here is my step by step guide(compiled from the help of the TI community plus google):

1. EXP GDC Beast settings: ATX:OFF, PTD:OFF.

2. Turn on laptop.

3. Use DDU to remove nvidia drivers.

4. Restart.

5. Disable the dGPU from Device Manager: Thru "View -> Connection Type", then search the node that includes your dGPU, and disable the whole node.

6. Shutdown laptop.

7. Remove the battery and unplug from the charger.

8. Open the back of your laptop and remove the WiFi card.

9. Plug all the necessary cables into the eGPU, and into the laptop's mPCIE slot(WiFi card slot).

10. Turn on the ATX PSU and plug the charger/battery to the laptop.

11. Turn on the laptop.

12. Go to Device Manager and check if your eGPU is detected. It should display as "Basic Display Adapter".

13. Modify the nvidia 372.70 driver inf files using the guides below:

nv_dispi.inf = http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

nvmii.inf = http://null-bin.blogspot.com/2015/08/how-to-modify-nvidia-notebook-driver.html

14. After you saved both files above, you must disable the Digital Signature Enforcement of windows 10 to be able to install the modified driver.

To do that, use the Top 1 method = http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-drivers/how-to-disable-driver-signature-enforcement-on-windows-10-8-7-xp-vista.html

15. Install the driver that you've modified, then Restart the laptop.

Your external monitor should fire up by now.

16. Update your driver to the latest version via the GeForce Experience app. 

That's it!

Enjoy your "new" gaming laptop! :D

Edited by n3uralhack3r
added a step

Hi all,

Total newbie here so apologies if this has been covered but i couldn't find a definitive answer elsewhere in the thread.  I'm planning to use the EXP GDC BEAST ExpressCard with a GTX 1050 Ti. This is a relatively low power (75w TDP) card without the additional PCIe power connection needed.  

Firstly is it possible to use only the 12v DC input with this card and secondly, are the any specific ones people have used or can recommend?

Previous versions of the adapter could use the Dell DA-2 laptop supply but newer versions just have the generic 12v DV input. 

My end goal is to construct an enclosure so it's pretty key to be able to only use a 12v power block and not a full size ATX. Thanks!  

Edited by cunning_fridge

@cunning_fridge

The post above yours have shown a GTX 1050 working without additional power except from what is drawn from the eGPU dock slot. As for if the 12v adapter would supply enough power to the 75 watt card, the answer is yes. It should even power cards for up to 150 watts (not 100% sure on this) with the additional 6 pin connector on the side of the dock with only the 12v adapter supply the power.

On 24/11/2016 at 10:19 PM, Mr_Western said:

@cunning_fridge

The post above yours have shown a GTX 1050 working without additional power except from what is drawn from the eGPU dock slot. As for if the 12v adapter would supply enough power to the 75 watt card, the answer is yes. It should even power cards for up to 150 watts (not 100% sure on this) with the additional 6 pin connector on the side of the dock with only the 12v adapter supply the power.

I was more after specifics of the adapter itself but since found a cheap Dell DA-2 which will work.  I've still not seen any examples of anyone using the 12v DV input, it seems most use an ATX supply or the 8-pin Dell. 

@cunning_fridge

Ah well if you purchase the eGPU kit with the adapter you would get the 8pin dell power adapter. The thing is, it is cheaper to buy a power supply than to buy the power adapter (since the PSU can do more that just be used on the eGPU like the 8pin dell adapter). But if you have a 12v adapter you might want to ask on the purchase page what is the specs and the size of the power jack needed for the egpu adapter since I don't have those specs on hand and have not seen it on their page.

Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to use my laptop display with a GTX 1050 Ti? I've only done a modest amount of research so far into this eGPU stuff but I remember reading something about Optimus not working with newer drivers?

My laptop is a HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO with i7-2860QM. It has a modded bios and I believe it has the option to disable the dGPU.

Thanks

I have the Beast v8.0 with the 12V DC input that is rated to 150W.  I've been looking (ebay.co.uk) and found generic universal laptop chargers rated at 150W with the correct size input jack. 5.5x2.1 so this would be ideal for my intended setup similar to @cunning_fridge which is aiming to be a small enclosure. But cheap and nasty universal laptop chargers might be bad for GFX cards?

I understand the 750ti and 1050ti both get power through PCIE by the 12v input, but I want a little more than the 750ti but also do not want the 1050ti driver issues:rofl:

What I am curios about is @Mr_Western using the 950 mini "2G" version that doesn't require a 6pin? or is it just standard one power just through the PCIE on the Beast

with no 6 pin used?:logik:  I understand you clocked it down to stay below the 150W Cap of the beast, but could this work on other cards that have around 150W peak usage that require 6pin power? (other 950 cards)

Thanks

Stu

Edited by Sgt Chaos66

@Sgt Chaos66

Maybe I should explain my setup with a bit more detail (concerning the GPU side of things). I have a GTX 950 from ASUS which is dubbed "Mini", there is not additional 6 pin power connector on the card as with other GTX 950 (which would be the usual). As such this card is rated at 75 watts total power draw and gets all this power from the eGPU PCIe slot. I had somewhat of a power instability issue with my GTX 950 (either the slot was not supplying all 75 watts needed by the card or the card wanted more than 75 watts); whatever was the issue I reduced the "Power Limit" which isn't the same thing as underclocking to 85% of total power used by the card (this will not cause [much] performance lost of the card).

Now to answer your question relating to the 150 watt power of the eGPU dock. The thing is I have had bad experience with the eGPU and power draw. I had tried a GTS250 (card rated at 150 watts) on the dock using my PSU to supply the extra power the card needed (which meant that I did not use the auxiliary 6 pin output of the beast nor did I max the beast dock of its 150 watt supply power); with this I had crashed multiple times and the only conclusion I could have come up with is that either the card was bad (albeit it was 6-7 years old, brought brand new) or the card was not getting all the power needed. Now it could be my PSU since that is old as well, but to get down to the crux of things, if the card is rated at 150 watts and you use the dock to supply all 150 watts (using the auxiliary 6 pin output) it suppose to work, with either supply the beast power through the 8 pin power in or the 12v power in.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Plastixx said:

What kind of driver issues? I have one on the way to me and I'm trying to learn as much as possible in the meantime.

Well, @Plastixx

I hate to the bringer of bad news but, I've been struggling with issues myself and everybody else with a egpu pascal card (GTX 1080, 1070, 1060, 1050, TITAN X) trying to run.

I suggest reading this topic, good luck. 

Edited by xzknightzx

@Mr_Western thanks for clearing that up for me, the 950 Mini 2G version is looking like the best option for me, but unfortunately from a quick google there does not seem to be many around for a reasonable price, there is plenty of the Mini 2GD5 but they require a 6pin :( It seems trying to avoid the extra cost and inconvenience of a PSU will reduce my options for a GFX card and ironically increase the cost and inconvenience! :cupcake:

but to get down to the crux of things, if the card is rated at 150 watts and you use the dock to supply all 150 watts (using the auxiliary 6 pin output) it suppose to work, with either supply the beast power through the 8 pin power in or the 12v power in.

In theory connecting power via the 12v power pin in and then using the 6pin Out on the beast to connect to a 6pin GFX that is 150W with no additional PSU should work?

Has anyone tried the above?

If so could you please share :angel:

Wanting to know as I am hoping to buy a 950 second hand but nearly all of them require a 6pin power input (dont want a PSU)

@Plastixx I have just briefly read problems on this forum, and I am trying to reduce any potential problems with my build, if my budget increases I may look at 1050ti, so let me know how you go.

@Sgt Chaos66

Here is the link from where I got my card, but I had gotten it when there was a sale October gone, I had gotten it for US$128 total cost in hand:

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Mini-Graphic-MINI-GTX950-2G/dp/B01FL6SYZU/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475361651&sr=1-4&keywords=gtx+950

@Sirios

What are you getting at? just look for laptops that support x4 SSD's, that's the slot size for the type of M.2 SSD they use.

@Chewy

If you aren't Chinese, please stay away from things you cannot read and verify. Use these links accordingly to find what you need:

EXP EDG Beast V8 with power adapter (8pin dell power adapter)

http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229355.html

EXP GDC Beast V8 without power adapter (got to use a PSU or 12V charger)

http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Mr_Western said:

@Mr_Western
Okay. I apologize that I wasn't born "Chinese". I wish I had an ethnic choice during my birth. 

By the way, that listing shows $40 meanwhile gearbest shows $70, which is literally 2x the price of gearbest.

Back to the point, so if it comes with a power supply, what prong should I use that's compatible with 110v wall plug?

Or does that product already comes with a prong that's compatible with US wall plugs?

Also, I want to use an enclosure, for obvious reasons. I'm trying to keep everything under $100, for a damn adapter.

Edited by Chewy

@Chewy

I meant no insult as to the Chinese thing, it was an advice as to stay away from things you cannot understand (i as well is included there). I should inform you as to what those 2 links you initially posted is about, the link to the metal "thing" chassis is not a power supply unit to give your GPU and your eGPU adapter power, it is merely a housing and will not offer any additional powering. The second link is for just the eGPU adapter no power adapter included; though you can use that link to get the eGPU adapter cheaper than the US$55.00 i showed you. The adapter you saw from me for US$70.00 was including a power adapter (hence the price) and will be compatible with US power system once you verify this to the seller (however, I had a PSU at home so I opted for the choice without the additional dell power adapter).

@Mr_Western

You're insulting me by saying that I don't get to browse Chinese catalogs just b/c I don't speak their language  -________- just what is wrong with you? you mad that you couldn't find it cheaper than I could?

I noticed you lack some common sense, so let me fill it in for you:  $15 more for a power supply in gearbest link? Count me in! Less cable mess, no need to use a clunky PSU when that could be used to run a full system.
I can tell you're new, because you're missing the basics. *Sigh*

Don't answer my questions, when you don't understand. Better to keep your mouth shut than to confuse more people for no reason.

Again, just to emphasize: The "Chinese" link I found COMES with a power supply for $40, meanwhile gearbest shows $70

is Mr_Western working for gearbest selling this specific product? I sense a hell of incompetence and cynicism......... -_-;

ADMIN NOTE: LETS KEEP IT CIVIL ELSE INFRACTIONS WILL BE HANDED OUT.

Edited by Chewy
Still civil, nothing happened -_- you're welcome.

Can someone who has a brain tell me what prong they used for the dell power supply?

All the pictures I saw doesn't show 110v that's compatible with US, nor the adapters they ship which is a 220v Asian standard.

I'd appreciate if the admins can help also :)

Edited by Chewy

@Chewy

I am trying to help you; you say I work with gearbeast and I specifically said in my reply to stick with your website if you want to get the eGPU adapter cheaper. And I will state it again, once you state to the supplier that you are from the US they will ship with the US compatible power adapter.

@Chewy

lol. What's wrong with you? @Mr_Western certainly did not intend to insult you, he was just telling you to stay away from the chinese website for obvious reasons. But if you still want to buy from that website then go, no need to call people names.

@Mr_Western

Kind sir, don't be discouraged to help by encountering such unappreciative people. If it wasn't for you, I may not be enjoying my eGPU setup. Keep up the good work. :)

• Thumbs Up 2