Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
jacobsson

EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, HandsomeJack said:

Hi everyone.

Does the GDC EXP v8 Beast works directly with Dell DA-2 220w power supply? Will I i need to do any modification to the pin?

My setup plan is as follow:

1) Lenovo G400s (i3-3100m, 8GB Ram)

2) GDC EXP Beast V8 - Mini PCIe  (http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html)

3) Dell DA-2 220w (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/laptops/power-adaptors/dell/auction-1027839388.htm)

4) EVGA GTX 680 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/video-cards/pciexpress/auction-1024903470.htm)

 

Im very new to this. Hoping to get some help. Thank you very much =)

 

No modification is needed. It's plug and play. I have it too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have eGPU "GTX 970" and it has 6 and 8 pins for extra power. I am using eGPU power port to give this power to GTX 970, so what will happen if I connect 6 and 8 pins directly from power supply ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More details please!!!

You have to power the GPU with both plugs! Also your eGPU base has to get power too and enough power as well, to be able to power the GPU from the slot, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

More details please!!!

You have to power the GPU with both plugs! Also your eGPU base has to get power too and enough power as well, to be able to power the GPU from the slot, too.

I am connection 6 and 8 pins as shown to eGPU (EXP GDC Beast). can I connect them directly to PSU instead of eGPU ?

IMG_20160209_181359.jpg

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I can't help you with the EXP GDC Beast. But if the EXP GDC Beast gets the power from the same PSU, you should be able to get the power directly from the PSU for the GPU!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09.02.2016 at 6:26 PM, ahmed khalifa said:

I am connection 6 and 8 pins as shown to eGPU (EXP GDC Beast). can I connect them directly to PSU instead of eGPU ?

IMG_20160209_181359.jpg

same question, i think you can, could you make an update about your situation, were you able to to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if somebody could link me to a 6 pin to 8 pin pcie power adapter? I bought the exp gdc beat external graphics card and i cannot find the correct adapter. I need a male to male 6 pin to 8 pin. I've tried two adapters already but i keep getting the wrong ones.
Any help from this awesome community?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I have quite a problem with EXP GDC.

First of all my setup:
EXP GDC V7 BEAST Expresscard
Evga 560Ti (non OC)

Chieftec CFT-650-14C (650 W max)
Lenovo X220 i5 2520M
2x2Gb 1333MHz DDR3 Ram (will upgrade if eGPU will work)
BIOS 1.40

Windows 7 64 Pro

GPU drivers: 361.91 (Desktop)

 

I want to run it only on internal setup. I did all the BIOS settings, AKA turn off power management and picked 560Ti as default PhysX device plus maximum performance and preffered high speed Nvidia device. While I was testing it on Win 10 64 pro, On 1.2 Opt my games crashed with error that Nvidia drivers kernel has stopped working (something among those lines) after playing a while (5min-30min-1h). I tried (still on win 10) to install older drivers, desktop/notebook drivers etc, always same results. I also tried different startup methods (CTD, PTD switches, F8, sleep then plug etc.) and still same results. In Win 10 I had 1.39 BIOS version.

I switched to Win 7 64 Pro (clean reinstall) anyway and still have same issues: game freezes, fans spin up, however nvidia drivers error doesn't come up. I again tried all of the above (without changing drivers) and had same results. While monitoring via MSI Afterburner I haven't noticed anything unusual. Everything is fine, Voltage is constant, gpu use and BUS speed too. I would be worried that it might crash from high temp however I don't think that's true as it can crash aswell on 50 C as on 60 C. Does not however crash randomly on desktop or in benchmarks which is quite wierd. I can run it for hours and nothing will happen, unless i start playing games. Since monitoring showed that it uses 99% of BUS speed I doubt that it's the fault of changing from gen1 to gen2.

I'm not sure what I can do anymore but please note I haven't tried Setup 1.3 as it's a bit expensive for me (~100PLN which is a month of food for a poor student :P). During the installation of drivers I have no problem with detecting the device and installing them at all. Yes, I also tried the nvidia driver uninstaller a few times and reinstalling drivers automatically and manually ( clearing the registry).

 

Any help would be appreciated. I know people that run the same setting on 1.2 Opt without a problem, some on internal and some on external

setup.

 

EDIT:
Forgot to mention that it runs without any issues (no CTD or PTD swtiches needed) on gen1 so I don't think it's much of a hardware issue. Worth to mention that Lenovo X220 cannot force Gen2 in BIOS - instead there's an "Automatic" option.

Also I've noticed that when this crash happens, GPU tends to "reset" itself and throw it's own preferences, for example, say I've clocked it down in MSI Afterburner and this happend, it will reset itself and MSI's settings will no longer affect it (complete restart required). Not sure if it's faulty Expresscard or some other software issue (like Lenovo's power manager - that's been set for maximum performance though).

 

EDIT 2:

Again, forgot to mention that I plug the EXP GDC before laptop startup. Otherwise it doesn't work until I enable some CTD and PTD configurations. It seems to work this way 90% of the time. Only gen 2 link issue remains. Also tried 344.75 desktop and notebook drivers from Nvidia (both win 10 and 7) and both still do not fix the problem, nor downgrading the Bios to 1.28 (should downgrade it to lower versions?) on Win 7 64 Pro.

 

Sorry for so many edits, but I am trying to be as informative as I can. :)

EDIT 3:
Because I don't want to spam with posts here, I have a question about PSU, Will Dell DA-2 ADP220-AB B suffice/work with exp GDC? As I've noticed it does usually use D220-01P however I have this other one laying around. Specs are the same: http://limo-vegas.nazwa.pl/Allegro/Zasilacze/1/11a.jpg

 

Edited by VenGen
Additional question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have used exp gdc beast v8.0 for about 1 month now, yesterday I tried to use a usb mouse to the exp gdc.. but weird problem happen..  when power on my lptop has POST two times.. then i power off my lptop.. power it on again and post as usual.. but only stuck at windows logo..  then i unplugged the usb mouse from the exp gdc.. boot again..
 

After that i can enter windows. On device manager it says "driver cannot load on this device" on my egpu.. turn off again.. power on, then at setup 1.30 it says "egpu not detected".. this happen even after I unplugged the usb device.  I was worried so i try unplugged all power cable..  used another wall plug and the egpu function as usual..  is there any potential damage to the gpu or adapter as i read the forum exp gdc has usb port issue.. 24 hours has passed since this happen, there is no problem for now.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ady133t said:

i have used exp gdc beast v8.0 for about 1 month now, yesterday I tried to use a usb mouse to the exp gdc.. but weird problem happen..  when power on my lptop has POST two times.. then i power off my lptop.. power it on again and post as usual.. but only stuck at windows logo..  then i unplugged the usb mouse from the exp gdc.. boot again..
 

After that i can enter windows. On device manager it says "driver cannot load on this device" on my egpu.. turn off again.. power on, then at setup 1.30 it says "egpu not detected".. this happen even after I unplugged the usb device.  I was worried so i try unplugged all power cable..  used another wall plug and the egpu function as usual..  is there any potential damage to the gpu or adapter as i read the forum exp gdc has usb port issue.. 24 hours has passed since this happen, there is no problem for now.. 

What kind of mouse you used? Some mice from china tend to do this, however, I was lucky myself. Yes, EXP GDC has USB problems (that's why I don't stick anything there) but be sure to check if the wall plug, or whatever you said you plugged into  is ok with a measurer, but if you're not an electrician yourself I don't advice on doing it alone, better to call someone who does know how to handle a measurer, an electrician.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VenGen said:

What kind of mouse you used? Some mice from china tend to do this, however, I was lucky myself. Yes, EXP GDC has USB problems (that's why I don't stick anything there) but be sure to check if the wall plug, or whatever you said you plugged into  is ok with a measurer, but if you're not an electrician yourself I don't advice on doing it alone, better to call someone who does know how to handle a measurer, an electrician.

There is no problem with the mouse.. I also tried plugged in other usb device it cause same thing happen..  temporary undetected egpu (after unplugged any usb from the exp gdc).. but after switched off power ( laptop and adapter)  for about 15 minutes..  turn on laptop and the egpu detected again..  I want to know what is the cause of temporary undetected egpu happen even after I didnt stick anything to the usb port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ady133t said:

There is no problem with the mouse.. I also tried plugged in other usb device it cause same thing happen..  temporary undetected egpu (after unplugged any usb from the exp gdc).. but after switched off power ( laptop and adapter)  for about 15 minutes..  turn on laptop and the egpu detected again..  I want to know what is the cause of temporary undetected egpu happen even after I didnt stick anything to the usb port.

 

It's just probably still the bad USB port in general, all versions of EXP GDC had it. It's just not safe to stick anything out there as far as I've been reading about it. It's best not to use it. had no idea this issue is still the case in V8.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is the time for my egpu setup died since 1 month gaming with it. either gpu (gtx750ti) or exp gdc/hdmi cable... haven't test my video card to other pc yet.. i got error 42 and sometimes egpu not detected.  either way i cannot use it anymore. so i cut the black rubber at the end of connection between mhdmi and mpcie male connector to see if any wire break..  what I see is they used a tiny  cheap SINGLE CORE WIRE!!!! instead of stranded wire.. which it will easily break due to movement, and we know that the cable is quite long..  thats fucking ridiculous..  even normal cheap psu used  multicore wire to prevent break.. and they sell the replacement cable for about 17 usd???? See the red wire..

IMG_20160225_045011.jpg

Edited by ady133t
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, everyone!

 

Lenovo y50-70 owner here. Does anybody know, what kind of interface is this? It is not mPCI-E, but looks like NGFF. Still not sure, since NGFF's look quite different. So before ordering this device, I wanted to check with you, guys. 

 

Any help appreciated!

IMG_20160228_152727.jpg

IMG_20160228_152441.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2016 at 5:13 AM, VenGen said:

 

It's just probably still the bad USB port in general, all versions of EXP GDC had it. It's just not safe to stick anything out there as far as I've been reading about it. It's best not to use it. had no idea this issue is still the case in V8.

 

you the usb port on the GDC or usb ports on the laptop??

 

http://www.gearbest.com/laptop-accessories/pp_229101.html

is this the latest version? Is there any safety issues with the GDC? I dunno .. electrical issues like fire, burning the GPU stuff like this or it is perfectly safe or  at least as safe as the PE4 adapters?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone i have an error with the Exp Gdc Beast V8 

 

My setup:

-Acer aspire 5750g (this model came with 1x4gb ram but i upgraded to 2x4gb ram)

-Exp Gdc Beast V8

-Gtx 750 Ti 2gb

-Power supply Nox urano sx 500

 

I connect the  1 x 20/24 pin and the 1 x 4 pin of the power supply to the cable the EGBeast came with

1439428864061-P-2949981.jpg

And I use 2 molex to power the gtx750ti

Cable Molex 4 Pines X 2 A Conector Pci Express 6 Pines 15cm

 

As indicated in the manual i had to change the bios graphic mode to integrated and diseable the network boot to start the pc and not having the black screen issue so i did.

 

The problem I have is that after having installed the gcard drivers and have it recognised by pc, I have this problem

 

56e17ac05c0b2_20160310_0307521.thumb.jpg

 

It says its error code 43 

I've tried unninstalling and searching  for hardware changes aswell but no solution

 

I'd apreciate some help, thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys, I see you are very experienced with this EXP GDC adapter so I want to share this with you. I got a GTX 580 from e-bay, it's still on its way but basically, I would like to power it using a DA-2. Do you think it would be possible maybe by underclocking it? By the way, I also have the option of using a GTX 460 SE, so I'll try both, keep the one which works for me and then sell the other but I want to read your opinions on this, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone. I am searching for some help about using the EXP GDC v7.0 on DELL XPS 15 L502x i7. The computer dint boot, just top speed the cooler and keep light red. I downloaded a modded bios, and tried a lot. Change all possible way the switch CTD/PTD with no success. Please, I would like very much to run it. Thank you people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys

 

So I'm playing around with this thing and once had it working well with low end graphics.

 

I acquired a zotac GTX 780 AMD 3GB

 

Installed updated drivers and all good, ran some benchmarks and was looking really good until it crashed, after some research I am at the conclusion that this card is beastly power hungry and under load can use, 330 watts!

 

Is there a maximum amount of wattage that can be used with this adaptor? I'm currently using the Dell 220w psu so can understand it crashing?

 

What is the 150w dc socket for? Can this be used at the same time maybe? That way I can get 370 watts?

 

Or do I simply need buy a high end psu and power the card separately from this?

 

All help or input appreciated

Posted to enable notifications

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2016 at 5:48 AM, luferbur said:

Hi everyone i have an error with the Exp Gdc Beast V8 

 

My setup:

-Acer aspire 5750g (this model came with 1x4gb ram but i upgraded to 2x4gb ram)

-Exp Gdc Beast V8

-Gtx 750 Ti 2gb

-Power supply Nox urano sx 500

 

I connect the  1 x 20/24 pin and the 1 x 4 pin of the power supply to the cable the EGBeast came with

1439428864061-P-2949981.jpg

And I use 2 molex to power the gtx750ti

Cable Molex 4 Pines X 2 A Conector Pci Express 6 Pines 15cm

 

As indicated in the manual i had to change the bios graphic mode to integrated and diseable the network boot to start the pc and not having the black screen issue so i did.

 

The problem I have is that after having installed the gcard drivers and have it recognised by pc, I have this problem

 

56e17ac05c0b2_20160310_0307521.thumb.jpg

 

It says its error code 43 

I've tried unninstalling and searching  for hardware changes aswell but no solution

 

I'd apreciate some help, thank you 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. I'm new and this thread is the very reason I signed up.

I have a Dell Precision M4800: i7 4810MQ, Firepro M5100, 8Gb, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
eGPU setup: GDC Beast V8 expresscard version, R9 280x Gigabyte Windforce.

I plugged all the needed cables (ATX pin, 4-pin to the V8, 6 and 8-pin to the card) and of course the expresscard to my laptop.

Problem:

- Windows recognized my vga as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".
- When I try to install Crimson 16.3.2 for Radeon, 14.12 Omega, the lap BSODed. 

I really hope there's some solution so I can pair the sexy CPU with the feisty GPU.
Thank you in advance.

 

 

EDIT: YAAAY! I found an installation guide for R9 290 by darky and now my Egpu runs rock solid!

Edited by JediPartTime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-HP spectre x360 (13-4009na)

-EXP GDC v8 ngff

-Dell 220w psu

-GTX750ti

 

when i boot the laptop there is no response from the card or the dock, the gpu fans do not spin and no indication leds come on. I cant find anything useful in the bios and hotswaping has no effect. i have also tried the ptd switch in all positions. there was no ctd switch only 3 pins, connecting the 2 left pins also had no effect.

 

When does the docks indication led come on? what should i try? 

 

edit: the dock is definitely getting power as the LED on the psu is on. any help is appreciated. I'm at a loss for what to do.

Edited by synjan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.