EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Sangemaru witch adapter you have? v6 or v7? i have a v7 and every time i try gen2 link when windows start it freez... this adapter do not support gen2 link?

I have v7 'BEAST', and gen2 works fine both using mPCIE and Expresscard.

Using GTX 770.

Hello everyone! I am now deciding whether I should invest in buying a new notebook or installing an eGPU. Being new to this, I have a few questions/things that I want to clarify before buying anything.

First of all, I have the this notebook:

Asus G74SX

Chipset Intel HM65

Intel 2nd Gen i7 2670 QM 4 cores, 2.2 GHz (with internal Intel HD 3000)

8 GB RAM

Dedicated GeForce GTX 560M

I want to purchase an eGPU platform (also an ATX power supply and an Asus GeForce 960 video card), but I don't know which one is best for my notebook. I have the wifi card on a mPCI-E slot, so that's the one I need to use (no optimus for this notebook):

1. Which is better: EXP GDC Beast V7 or V8? Also, the Bplus PE4C V3.0 sounds nice, but really really hate the wires and connectors.

2. I read somewhere that Beast V7 supports Gen2 link, while Beast V8 only Gen1. Is this true? Also, if I choose Beast V7, how do I connect it to the notebook in order to achieve a Gen2 link? Is this achievable with a single wire/bus ?

3. Since the notebook has 2 GPUs, will I be needing any additional software (like the DSDT Override or eGPU setup 1.x) ? Several posts revealed that the software is necessary only for notebooks that don't have 2 GPUs (one internal iGPU and a dedicated dGPU).

Any help/feedback is appreciated.

Sorry for the long post and for the bad english.

I'm using the EXP GDC V7.0 Beast to connect a gtx 960 to my dell L702x. I'm still getting a black screen after boot up with the time delay switch on and my 960 fans stop after about 10 seconds. I also checked in the BIOS to see if I needed to enable the PCIe port but no such option was visible in there. Do I need to get the Setup 1.x to fix this or is there anyway I fix this without purchasing it.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Ive Bought an EGPU beast (pcie version) and its not working with my laptop... ive been reading alot about the colors that show up on the beast...in my case only the red color is on and right beside the connection b/w the gtx 970(msi) and the beast. since the beast comes with a 8pin to 6 and 8 pin and the gtx 970 is only 6 and 6 pin soo i used the connection with two over hanging pins but i dont think its an issue here.... I didnt get any manual so i have no idea what the red led means, and i dont want to try bios modding or the setup or anything before being sure what the problem is...

SPecs:

System Model: Satellite l750

BIOS:InsydeH2O version 03.60.452.90

Processer: intel core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHZ(8CPU)

MEMOERY 8192mb RAM

PAGE FILE:2040MB

DIRECT X 11

nVIDEA GEFORCE GT 525M-INTEGRATED RAMDAC 4 GB

pLEASE IF U NEED MORE INFO TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

the laptop doesnt boot with the beast (boot looping) but before i try to fix this issue somebody pls tell me whta the red led mean...

Thanks in advance

Ive Bought an EGPU beast (pcie version) and its not working with my laptop... ive been reading alot about the colors that show up on the beast...in my case only the red color is on and right beside the connection b/w the gtx 970(msi) and the beast. since the beast comes with a 8pin to 6 and 8 pin and the gtx 970 is only 6 and 6 pin soo i used the connection with two over hanging pins but i dont think its an issue here.... I didnt get any manual so i have no idea what the red led means, and i dont want to try bios modding or the setup or anything before being sure what the problem is...

SPecs:

System Model: Satellite l750

BIOS:InsydeH2O version 03.60.452.90

Processer: intel core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHZ(8CPU)

MEMOERY 8192mb RAM

PAGE FILE:2040MB

DIRECT X 11

nVIDEA GEFORCE GT 525M-INTEGRATED RAMDAC 4 GB

pLEASE IF U NEED MORE INFO TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

the laptop doesnt boot with the beast (boot looping) but before i try to fix this issue somebody pls tell me whta the red led mean...

Thanks in advance

Suggest work through https://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/11393-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps.html#post149873

That link will solve the power issue but the thing is that what does the colors of the leds on the beast signify.... can u tell me?

The reference guide doesn't explain the LED meanings: EXP GDC beast New operating guide ???.doc_??????|??? ??-????? . You might want to contact your vendor for hardware support.

Or as some others have done, request a refund and get the better BPlus PE4C V3.0 instead with better Gen2 signal integrity due to it's soldered cable.

Hi i have been offered to buy the following from a user on another forum.

EXP-GDC V6

220W DA-2 power brick

enclosure made out of acrylic

He wants me too pay 68$ for it total. Is this a good deal or should i look at other solutions?

Hi i have been offered to buy the following from a user on another forum.

EXP-GDC V6

220W DA-2 power brick

enclosure made out of acrylic

He wants me too pay 68$ for it total. Is this a good deal or should i look at other solutions?

Pls read opening post about why PE4C V3.0 is a better eGPU adapter if intending to run Gen2 PCIe signals.

Pls read opening post about why PE4C V3.0 is a better eGPU adapter if intending to run Gen2 PCIe signals.

Ok so there is issues with it being unstable?

Is this a general thing with all units or does it only affect some units?

Does it just randomly crash while under load or is it a problem with cables loosing the signal?

I couldn't find any other differences performance wise, is there any?

Im planning to use a 2570p and a EC adapter.

Sorry if the answer was in the first post but i read it through and couldn't really find answers to my questions.

Hi, i'm new, i've got a beast v.7. Sadly i'm a little bit confused about method to do use correctly my beast my discrete GPU.

My laptop is a HP 15 with AMD A8-6410 APU with R5 Graphics 2.00 GHz.

Someone can be patient to show me how to work with this beast and laptop step by step?

What PSU should i buy? I' ve a ATI Radeon 4870 2gb ddr5..

sorry for grammar do not speak well the English

thanks for all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Does anyone bought the V8 version? I'm planning to make a build for my Dell Precision M4500. 

CPU : i7-720QM @ 1.6 ghz

dGPU : nVidia Quadro FX 880M

For now I have a Gigabyte Radeon 6850 1GB and a DELL DA-2 220W powerbrick. 

Looking for a EXP GDC Beast V8 with Expresscard version. 

Have a great week!

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought the EXP GDC (http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Mini-PCI-E-Set-p-934367.html) but, I have a big problem:

I have an ASUS N53S (6gb ram / i7 2630 / GT 540M), I plugged the exp gdc to the PCIe slot after removing the wireless card, then I plugged my Saphirre R9 290 Vapor-X (http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=718897BF-E6D5-4C79-AA00-C1DC766ADF80&lang=eng) (with a 480W PSU), I plugged it with an HDMI cable to an external screen, but when I turn on the computer it freezes at the ASUS boot logo, or the windows loading logo, is this a BIOS problem ? Or is this a problem related to the 2 switches on the exp gdc? I think i've plugged everything fine.. I've tried on a friend's laptop (acer aspire ...) and it directly detected the graphic card.. When I plug off the adapter the laptop works fine but when I try to connect the graphic card it freezes.. I have also pre-installed the AMD drivers and removed the old Nvidia drivers, but maybe I didn't make it well. I've waited 3 weeks for this adapter and I realy wanna make it work, please help me, thanks guys  ;)

Here is a pic (if you don't see the pic here is another link http://hpics.li/3341c12 )

3341c12

PS: Sorry for the bad english, I'm french

Edited by Poulpoutine
I forgot some things

1 hour ago, Poulpoutine said:

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought the EXP GDC (http://www.banggood.com/EXP-GDC-Laptop-External-PCI-E-Graphics-Card-Mini-PCI-E-Set-p-934367.html) but, I have a big problem:

I have an ASUS N53S (6gb ram / i7 2630 / GT 540M), I plugged the exp gdc to the PCIe slot after removing the wireless card, then I plugged my Saphirre R9 290 Vapor-X (http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=718897BF-E6D5-4C79-AA00-C1DC766ADF80&lang=eng) (with a 480W PSU), I plugged it with an HDMI cable to an external screen, but when I turn on the computer it freezes at the ASUS boot logo, or the windows loading logo, is this a BIOS problem ? Or is this a problem related to the 2 switches on the exp gdc? I think i've plugged everything fine.. I've tried on a friend's laptop (acer aspire ...) and it directly detected the graphic card.. When I plug off the adapter the laptop works fine but when I try to connect the graphic card it freezes.. I have also pre-installed the AMD drivers and removed the old Nvidia drivers, but maybe I didn't make it well. I've waited 3 weeks for this adapter and I realy wanna make it work, please help me, thanks guys  ;)

Here is a pic (if you don't see the pic here is another link http://hpics.li/3341c12 )

3341c12

Pls work through https://forum.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8747-mpcie-egpu-troubleshooting-steps/

11 hours ago, Poulpoutine said:

Hi everyone,

3341c12

Try tape your pin 22 http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml. It worked for me for the freezing part. Looks like ASUS got mPCIe ports messed up.

But then my lap just refused to detect the eGPU, and both the GPU and the EXP GDC worked fine when I bought them separately.

Edit: I still use the Dell 220 W comes with the EXP GDC for my HD 7970, can it be the problem?

Edited by neoseeker

Hey guys, have any of you dealt with your EXP GDC v6 just flat out dying on you? I haven't tried the ATX ports yet, but I know my DC port no longer shows any signs of life. Since the company I bought it from is giving me hell about using my warranty on it, I'm guessing it's either:

A. The solder needs to be reheated

B. Trying to find a similar DC part to solder on myself

or

C. Beer, you're crazy, none of these work. I'm still fighting with the company on getting it repaired, but I'll be $25 in the hole just in shipping costs. Either way, I'm spending more money on this, I might as well had got a PE4L had I known how much trouble this was going to be. :/

On 16/12/2015 at 4:21 AM, neoseeker said:

Try tape your pin 22 http://pinoutsguide.com/Slots/mini_pcie_pinout.shtml. It worked for me for the freezing part. Looks like ASUS got mPCIe ports messed up.

But then my lap just refused to detect the eGPU, and both the GPU and the EXP GDC worked fine when I bought them separately.

Edit: I still use the Dell 220 W comes with the EXP GDC for my HD 7970, can it be the problem?

Thank you for the answer but it doesn't work :( Do you guys have other solutions ? Because I really dont want to start looking for CPUs, motherboards to make my GC work..

Hallo everyone,

I have a problem with my Beast EXP GDC v7 and would be greatful for some good advice. When Win7 is booting with the eGPU plugged in with the express card connector, the computer freezes every second and the windows logo stops for a second also. If I pull the express card connector, the system startup continues normally without any trouble whatsoever. 

My setup:

Lenovo x220t                                           Sapphire R7-240

Intel i5-2520m                                         express card

Bios 1.40

Win7

The funny thing is it worked for a couple of days without any problem. Before that, while I tried to set it up for the first time I had a similar issue. Then the system froze completely just by pluging it in. The issue had misteriously been solved by using my older 4GB RAM stick for a while instead of an 8GB one. That doesn`t make sense I know :).

As I said the eGPU was working perfectly for a couple of days. I have not alter or installed anything in that time (at least nothing I am aware of). The only thing I know is that I disconnected the eGPU and worked with the laptops internal Intel cart since I was working. When I went back and conneced the card nothing would work. No hotplugging, no hybernation. I could only find one similar quote here from Kotv on page 27. He also uses an x220. But there was no hint that could help me. 

I also deinstalled the graphic drivers but the issue remains the same. Guess there is somthing wrong with the data trensfere between the laptop and the eGPU.

I would be very glad if anyone could help me. 

some additional information:

• I tried to connect my eGPU to anothor very old Lenovo thinkpad (2004) running with a Linux system. Still the computer froze completely.
  • It also does not matter if I set BIOS to generation 1 or automatic.

Guess the quality of the product is substandart and it is already broke  :(.  I consider to buy the PE4C V3.0 and hope I will have more luck with it. 

Hi all,

Just wanted to let those with a MSI GE70-2PC (Intel HD+GTX850m) know that the EXP GDC Beast v8 does work via the mpcie slot. i've been running a GTX770 (reference cooler model) the last few days with a 500w ATX PSU without any issues.

I did have some trouble getting the GTX770 to work with the laptop LCD, but worked out fine with an external monitor via HDMI. everything else was pretty much plug and play.

Hi,

I have exp gdc aries v7.0. I have dell latitude e5430. It worked fine when i plugged it in mcpie slot. I have expresscard slot so i decided to run it with expresscard. So bascially the setup is same. But only mpcie is changed to expresscard slot but my laptop turns on without detecting the gpu. It turns on fans starts spinning but nothing happens. Expresscard is enabled in bios. I dont know what else to do. Please help me

Thanks