EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

About @haniabaya's case, I don't think its the PSU. I'm running a 560ti on CM 460W with 312W on dual 12V (18A each) and everything is running fine. On @haniabaya's earlier PSU its provides 336W on dual 12V rails, which way above than 970 will ever consume. Its either his laptop or faulty EXP GDC supposing that 970 is fault free.

About @haniabaya's case, I don't think its the PSU. I'm running a 560ti on CM 460W with 312W on dual 12V (18A each) and everything is running fine. On @haniabaya's earlier PSU its provides 336W on dual 12V rails, which way above than 970 will ever consume. Its either his laptop or faulty EXP GDC supposing that 970 is fault free.

Thanks for the help. Well i changed the PSU now but it still the same Problem i triend at windows 8.1pro and the same thing.

The EXP GDC supporting the Gtx 970 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99 u can see that in the list there.

I think its the laptop and something with the bios. iam still looking for help or any idea that i must try.

Thanks for the help. Well i changed the PSU now but it still the same Problem i triend at windows 8.1pro and the same thing.

The EXP GDC supporting the Gtx 970 EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99 u can see that in the list there.

I think its the laptop and something with the bios. iam still looking for help or any idea that i must try.

I too bought it from Banggood and its running fanstastic as of now.

Why don't you try it on some other laptop? Preferably a Dell one? It worked on my Dell N4050, Sandybridge fine and even on my fathers Dell 17R with Haswell i7 fine. So, try on a Dell laptop if you can.

Hello!

I also ordered the beast.

I think that this is a really interesting idea and thought to try it out with a nvidia gt 520. Nothing too special.

I had a 450W coolermaster psu lying around and gave it a go. Connected the PSU to the unit, and the mini pcie to the laptop. After powering my laptop on, the psu started working, red light on the beast started working and all good. Could boot up and everything.

On the device manager it detected a microsoft display adaptor or something similar. So I went ahead and uninstalled everything from add/remove programs related to nvidia. (the laptop has a 650m).

Disabled the 650m and downloaded drivers for the 520. The driver version was 355.98.

So I started the driver installation, everything working well, it detected the 520 and finished the installation. Prompted me to restart my computer. Here is a screenshot after the installation.post-39524-14495000837476_thumb.png

As you can see, it says 520 in the device manager now, this image is taken just before the restart. For some reason, I noticed that the 650m was enabled for some reason again, so I went ahead and disabled it again.

Now after the restart, after windows has done loading, the PSU stops and after a short while I get a blue screen, saying video_tdr_failure (nvldd mkm.sys). And the computer wont start. It will start if I remove the beast though.

So hopefully someone has any idea about what is going on. I think it might have something to do with the 650m drivers, I am not sure though since I did disable it.

Computer specs:

clevo w150er

windows 8.1 64 bit

8 gb ram (2x4gb)

intel i5- 3210m

nvidia gt650m

230gb kingfast ssd

700 gb samsung hdd

Cheers!

I too bought it from Banggood and its running fantastic as of now.

Why don't you try it on some other laptop? Preferably a Dell one? It worked on my Dell N4050, Sandybridge fine and even on my fathers Dell 17R with Haswell i7 fine. So, try on a Dell laptop if you can.

i have an another acer its some model older. but its not mine its for my GF. i dont want to destroy it too. Normally it should work too at my laptop there is some examples they had the same laptop and it worked.

But thanks for the respawn and the idea. but i prefer to keep trying because iam sure iam gonna solve this problem.. somehow i dont know yet how.

A quick update. I thought that the problem was that windows automatically keeps reinstalling the 650m driver and the blue screen during windows start up might be the conflict of the 520 and the 650m drivers.

So what I did was first connect the beast normally, so in the device manager I would see the intel hd, a microsoft display adapter and the 650m.

post-39524-14495000839436_thumb.png

Then I went ahead and disabled the 650m and proceeded to install the 520 drivers. The installation was completed successfully and in the device manager the 520 was now shown.

To prevent the automatic 650m driver installation during windows start-up, I went to gpedit.msc and enabled "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings. I tested this before with just the 650m and it indeed stopped windows from automatically installing its drivers.

But still no luck, after the restart I get a blue screen saying video_tdr_failure. So I think, that the problem isn't the 520 and 650m drivers preventing the startup. Since the 650m drivers were in theory atleast not present during this test.

Cheers!

A quick update. I thought that the problem was that windows automatically keeps reinstalling the 650m driver and the blue screen during windows start up might be the conflict of the 520 and the 650m drivers.

So what I did was first connect the beast normally, so in the device manager I would see the intel hd, a microsoft display adapter and the 650m.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16145[/ATTACH]

Then I went ahead and disabled the 650m and proceeded to install the 520 drivers. The installation was completed successfully and in the device manager the 520 was now shown.

To prevent the automatic 650m driver installation during windows start-up, I went to gpedit.msc and enabled "Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy settings. I tested this before with just the 650m and it indeed stopped windows from automatically installing its drivers.

But still no luck, after the restart I get a blue screen saying video_tdr_failure. So I think, that the problem isn't the 520 and 650m drivers preventing the startup. Since the 650m drivers were in theory atleast not present during this test.

Cheers!

As for the drivers, proceed to:

1. Go to Device Manager->View Devices By Connection. Find your dGPU. Directly above it will be a PCIe bridge. Disable it after which your dGPU will no longer be listed.

2. Delete ALL existing NVidia drivers. Then use "DDU" software to clear your registry of any NVidia registry settings which will also disable auto-install of drivers in Win8.10.

3. Install latest NVidia driver. Doing (1) should see you have more resources now so you might no longer see error 12.

- - - Updated - - -

As for the drivers, proceed to:

1. Go to Device Manager->View Devices By Connection. Find your dGPU. Directly above it will be a PCIe bridge. Disable it after which your dGPU will no longer be listed.

2. Delete ALL existing NVidia drivers. Then use "DDU" software to clear your registry of any NVidia registry settings which will also disable auto-install of drivers in Win8.10.

3. Install latest NVidia driver. Doing (1) should see you have more resources now so you might no longer see error 12.

my problem come further than that, after you do this every think will work except 1 thing :

My system detects the eGPU and I can install the last Nvidia driver from the GTX970 series without any problem, the problem is after this.

After the drivers have been correctly installed and I reboot the system (turn off, replace EXP GDC with WiFi card, boot up, sleep mode, replace WiFi card with eGPU), I can log in, then after 7 tp 20 sec I get BSOD ( nvlddmkm.sys) - by me looks like that> http://imgur.com/wSjVnTm - this Error have a lot of people but i didnt find anything yet to solve it.

i will trz now the dsdt override and the Diz e-gpu from @Tech Inferno Fan

Thanks for the suggestion Haniabaya.

Your suggestion indeed kind of worked. I used the software to boot in to safemode and uninstall the nvidia drivers.

Afterwards I disabled the 650m lane and successfully installed the 520 drivers. Did a restart after the driver installation and there was no error.

In the HWmonitor I can actually see the 520 and even see the voltages and such. But the thing is, nothing is displayed on the external monitor.

If I go to screen resolution and force it to display on the second monitor, my laptop screen goes blank and the psu stops spinning.

I can't actually see what had happen, but I imagine that it is a blue screen of some sort.

So yeah, everything seems to be installed correctly, there are no warnings displayed in the device manager.

Could it be that I have currently connected the monitor through vga? I can test a dvi connection on monday. Or could it be intel hd graphics interfearing with it? not sure

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion Haniabaya.

Your suggestion indeed kind of worked. I used the software to boot in to safemode and uninstall the nvidia drivers.

Afterwards I disabled the 650m lane and successfully installed the 520 drivers. Did a restart after the driver installation and there was no error.

In the HWmonitor I can actually see the 520 and even see the voltages and such. But the thing is, nothing is displayed on the external monitor.

If I go to screen resolution and force it to display on the second monitor, my laptop screen goes blank and the psu stops spinning.

I can't actually see what had happen, but I imagine that it is a blue screen of some sort.

So yeah, everything seems to be installed correctly, there are no warnings displayed in the device manager.

Could it be that I have currently connected the monitor through vga? I can test a dvi connection on monday. Or could it be intel hd graphics interfearing with it? not sure

Cheers!

i did everything the same !! I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM !!

Well everything working except my external Monitor. I'm in Windows, my device manager just showing my gtx970(eGPU) and the Intel Graphics card(iGPU) the screen of laptop at HD and

my hdmi cabel are plugged at the eGPU but my screen is showing Noo-Signal. I installed the program from @Tech Inferno Faneva and changed a couple of things :

endpoint : 3,87

scope= nothing becasue my dgpu are disabled completly ( but its there just make it dGPU

closeunse. : on

ignore=none

so i read in google a couple of forums and they say i must change something in the setups and its gonna work but no idea what ??

I am open for any suggestion so please some help guys

thanks

Two questions:

- Have you guys confirmed your TOLUD is low enough for these GPU's to fit in the PCI address space on your machines?

- Have you attempted to limit PCIe Speed to Gen1?

The BSOD especially makes me think your adapters can't sustain Gen2 speeds. This is what happened to me. I can only use my EXP GDC in Gen1 mode, which is why I requested a refund from Banggood. They awarded my refund and let me keep the adapter. The performance hit in my case (r9-270x) is about 20-30%, but still good enough to max out The Witcher 3 at 1920x1200 on all ultra settings (excepting nVidia Hairworks and SSAO/HBAO) at 30fps.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have indeed not have tried to limit the adapters speed to gen 1.

Is it correct that you can limit it only with using diy setup or is there another way? And I am not familiar with TOLUD or with a way to check it.

The thing is that I am not actually sure that I do get a bluescreen when I force windows to use the external display. But the psu acts very similarly to the blue screen I got before, so that its fans just stop.

Two questions:

- Have you guys confirmed your TOLUD is low enough for these GPU's to fit in the PCI address space on your machines?

The BSOD especially makes me think your adapters can't sustain Gen2 speeds. This is what happened to me. I can only use my EXP GDC in Gen1 mode, which is why I requested a refund from Banggood. They awarded my refund and let me keep the adapter. The performance hit in my case (r9-270x) is about 20-30%, but still good enough to max out The Witcher 3 at 1920x1200 on all ultra settings (excepting nVidia Hairworks and SSAO/HBAO) at 30fps.

Is it correct that you can limit it only with using diy setup or is there another way? And I am not familiar with TOLUD or with a way to check it.

The thing is that I am not actually sure that I do get a bluescreen when I force windows to use the external display. But the psu acts very similarly to the blue screen I got before, so that its fans just stop.

Can you explain more what do u mean by thise questions ?

- - - Updated - - -

Two questions:

Hello there, I'm new here.

I have purchased EXP GDC Beast and it works. Right now, I would like to use it with HD 5770 (Graphics card - The world leader in display performance)

My laptop is Dell Inspiron N4050 (somehow, I found it to be having the same motherboard and BIOS with Vostro 1450)

My HD 5770 powers on. the graphic card is as well detected by system (freeze on 1st time boot after changing Wi-Fi card to EXP GDC)

The problem is: upon entering operating System (Windows 10, Ubuntu), GPU's card will spin to max speed (not hot) and computer freezes.

anybody can tell me what should I do?

Thank you in advance

*EDIT*

1. I tried to install the EXP GDC + my HD 5770 to my friend's laptop and it is detected and working.

2. I tried to disable Intel HD Graphics as well as my iGPU (AMD Radeon 7400M) and my HD 5770 could be read by my computer, even its name. but, picture still comes from built-in monitor and upon installing driver, seems like it was freezing

If you don't have access to an unlocked BIOS, you're unlikely to be able to change the PCIe adapter speed using anything other than Setup 1.30, as far as I'm aware. In my case, I'd get BSOD at Gen2 speed if the adapter wasn't the main GPU. If it WAS the main GPU, I wouldn't get BSOD, but I'd either get blackscreen, freezes, or both (usually both).

Especially since you're using nVidia Maxwell cards, your system TOLUD must have enough space be able to allocate resources for all your components, moreso since you also seem to have dGPU's in your machines. Refer to this thread for more information.

Without enough contiguous address space available, you simply can't use the cards, that's all there is to it. Some machines (like my own), offer dynamic TOLUD allocation or the ability to manually set the TOLUD size. Most machines do not.

In the near-certain event where you don't have enough space available, you MUST perform a DSDT override.

The second question has to do with signal integrity, more specifically the inability of the EXP GDC to reliably deliver Gen2 signal quality. My own machine would automatically set the PCIe speed to Gen2 when the adapter was not set as primary from boot, or on hot-plug, which would instantly crash and freeze, since my own adapter can't reliably deliver Gen2 signal. I expect this is a common issue on most machines. I use EFI overrides to force Gen1 signal, while keeping the iGPU enabled while the eGPU is set as the primary display on boot. This allows me to boot and use the card properly, maintains the bus signal fixed at Gen1 and then allows for hot-plugging. It took me days to get it working, and I was very fortunate to have the machine I do and receive the support of the techinferno community.

First, you must confirm you have enough PCI Address Space available (check the first link). Once you confirm that, use GPU-z and try to determine what bus speed your eGPU is using when connected to an external display. This might be more easily done if you uninstall all drivers and allow just the Microsoft VGA Adapter driver. If the link speed is reported as PCI Express x1 @ 2.0, your machine is forcing Gen2 and it's likely that your adapter can't handle the signal. You would either need to use Setup 1.30 to downgrade the bus speed, or (better off) you should request a refund from the vendor due to the adapter's inability to sustain Gen2 as advertised, and purchase the superior PE4C v3.0 adapter.

I have purchased EXP GDC Beast and it works. Right now, I would like to use it with HD 5770 (Graphics card - The world leader in display performance)

My laptop is Dell Inspiron N4050 (somehow, I found it to be having the same motherboard and BIOS with Vostro 1450)

My HD 5770 powers on. the graphic card is as well detected by system (freeze on 1st time boot after changing Wi-Fi card to EXP GDC)

The problem is: upon entering operating System (Windows 10, Ubuntu), GPU's card will spin to max speed (not hot) and computer freezes.

Thank you in advance

*EDIT*

1. I tried to install the EXP GDC + my HD 5770 to my friend's laptop and it is detected and working.

2. I tried to disable Intel HD Graphics as well as my iGPU (AMD Radeon 7400M) and my HD 5770 could be read by my computer, even its name. but, picture still comes from built-in monitor and upon installing driver, seems like it was freezing

Hello, anybody?

Thank you in advance

*EDIT*

RE: M14x R2

Don't mean to bug you about this too much but I want to do the same with the EXP GDC Laptop External Beast. I already bought 2 to get the expresscard and mpcie version so now that I invested 100$ on the adapter and 3 weeks of time swimming forums its almost now about the principal for conquering this stress inducing machine.

I want to run with this GPU http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011D7AAA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 and this Power supply https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3IXEBI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am using a USB 2.0 Expresscard adapter. Both my mpci and expresscard adapter are turning on the EXP Beast but my laptop wont read the card. My BIOS are A13 but I ran the install from A14. If you can link me to a solution or if you are willing to find out yourself or help me figure out for myself it would be so appreciated.

Hi people

1. Does anyone knows if the NGFF version offers higher performance or is it just a different connector.

2. I saw there is a v8 version of the EXP GDC - anyone knows what's the differences?

3. If I have the v7 with mSata connector, can I replace it with an M.2 connector?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I want to buy a beast.

This is my current laptop: Review Clevo W230SS (Schenker XMG P304) Barebones Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

Some info from speccy:

Motherboard Manufacturer Notebook

Model W230SS (SOCKET 0)

Version Not Applicable

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model Haswell

Chipset Revision 06

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model HM87

Southbridge Revision C2

System Temperature 59 °C

BIOS

Brand American Megatrends Inc.

Version 4.6.5

Date 15/04/2014

PCI Data

Slot PCI-E

Slot Type PCI-E

Slot Usage In Use

Data lanes x16

Slot Designation J6B2

Characteristics 3.3V, Shared, PME

Slot Number 0

Can i use the beast?

Thanks in advance. :tiger:

Hello everyone. My system is samsung ativ book 8 np880z5e-01at , i7 3635qm cpu , 8gb ram , hm76 chipset , igpu hd4000 , dgpu amd radeon hd8870m , egpu1 amd r9 290 , egpu2 nvidia gf440gt. As an adapter I bo7ght an Exp Gdc v6 Beast.

I conected all conectors to adapter : 4pin cpu and 24 pin to 620w cooler master psu , 8pin to adaper , 6pin and 8pin pcie conectors of psu to r9 290 and the hdmi to adapter and in the notebook pulled out wifi card and inserted minipcie conector. All conections good and red led lights up and egpus and psu fans work when notebook turned on.

On win10 with dgpu disabled in dev manager CTD off and PTD 12sec got to see 290 in dev manager but code 12. Used setup 1.3 to do compaction but couldnt get from win loading to startup screen. Disabled dgpu in setup 1.3 and i could see r9 290 in dev manager. Installed manually latest catalyst driver but could not see nothing on external monitor tried 440gt and got same result. Tried dsdt override with Dsdteditor and used fix errors in compile menu which got me 4 obj not exists errors. An aml file did though compile and I loaded its table but that resulted in windows boot bust ☺. Got win 8 up and tried with Ctd off Ptd off dgpus disabled in setup to boot but with 290 it hangs before win start screen. Tried powering down and up psu and got after a few attepts to see 290 in dev manager. At first I had bsod when I had hd4000 on win basic driver but when I instaled samsung driver I got both igpu and egpu2 to be seen properlly in dev manager (seems samsung driver contains last catalyst drivers so i didnt need this time to manually install them). Even though both could be seen I could not get egpu2 to display on external monitor. Than I switched on 440 gt and with dgpu disabled in setup 1.3 I got to boot without problem and installed manually nvidia driver. Got desktop to display on external monitor but when starting games id get nvidia drivers hang. Installed dxwebsetup and that made the system see external monitor as main monitor. Switched pcie from x1.2 to x1.1 and driver hang stoped but the performance is poor on external monitor like its on igpu that makes me think igpu reders but it displays thru egpu1. The main monitor switch done by dx install seems odd. Also id be glad for any advice on how to make 290 speed god to work. Btw considering how much u need to learn about dsl files dsdt override aint so easy. Tnx for bearing with my text wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I have purchased EXP GDC Beast (minipci express) and I am having problems to make to work it.

I have a Lenovo G580, i7 with 8 Gb de ram and I connected like a egpu a geforce 9500GT (I know its a very bad graphic card, but I want to see if it works before purchasing a GTX 950 or GTX 960).

The problem is that windows 10 doesn´t recognize egpu in admin device.

I dont know if I need a bios modified.

Any idea or sugestion?

• 2 weeks later...
Two questions:

Sangemaru witch adapter you have? v6 or v7? i have a v7 and every time i try gen2 link when windows start it freez... this adapter do not support gen2 link?

Hi guys.

I'm having trouble getting my V7 to work.

components:

Toshiba Satellite S55-A5279

EVEGA GeForce GTX 970

ECGA 500w ATX power supply

EXP GDC Beast

I've got the hdmi/minipcie cable installed correctly.

The gtx970 has two six pin power inputs. So i took the 6 pin and the 8 pin from the Beast and jammed em on anyway (since the 8pin just uses jumpers for the other pins)

The 12pin plugs connect together obviously, with the one signal wire into the Beast.

The 4 pin plugs go together to, right?

My problem is that nothing lights up. No life from the Beast, GPU, or power supply, nothing detected by the computer.

Then my problem became the fact that apparently something has shorted out. The 4pin plug nearly fused together. None of the pins or wires are crossed over or stripped at the plug though. The plug only goes together one way. I have no idea what's going wrong.