EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

How to power off EXP GDC V6 without unplug shutdown laptop, EC cable or 8 pin cable ?

I'm worrying about my gpu if she cannot retrieve stable voltage

That's like to force power off your desktop pc without clicking shutdown button.

The EXP GDC handes auto powering on the eGPU upon detecting the signal on the EC cable. Only way to manually override that is as you say, either pull the EC cable, disconnect the DA-2 8-pin connector to the EXP GDC or pull the power lead on the DA-2 power supply.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tech Inferno Fan and jacobsson, would you please help me?

I followed the guidelines from jacobsson in post #1, clicking yoybuy link. I saw the original url in taobao and realized that cloudhero store is the only main source of these EXP GDC devices.

I am asking this because I want to share the method of buying this device with good price to all guys on my forum. We can buy an EXP GDC BEAST kit including power supply with a good price of around $60 via taobao shipping service in my country.

But there is a guy who is selling it with a very high price, more than 2-3 times higher but with poor support. He slandered me that I was the bad guy, purchasing the unoriginal and scamming people. I was trying to make it very clear and in details about the purchase procedure. But the guy employed tricks, clone many accounts to slander me and cheat everyone with his tricks, and his dirty words as those of a bad vendor.

However, to us your techinferno is of good credibility, being an important source to learn and improve knowledge.

Would you please help me with this, as this is of great significance.

Can you confirm on the post #1 that the cloudhero store on http://expgdc.taobao.com/ is the main official.

I really appreciate it.

I am asking this because I want to share the method of buying this device with good price to all guys on my forum. We can buy an EXP GDC BEAST kit including power supply with a good price of around $60 via taobao shipping service in my country.

Can you confirm on the post #1 that the cloudhero store on Ê×Ò³-ÊýÂ빤³¡-ÌÔ±¦Íø is the main official.

I really appreciate it.

Banggood is the main distribution point for overseas customers: EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

Hello, I buyed EXP GDC Beast from banggod with atx supply. I have video card Nvidia GTX 260, psu I use OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. I connected video card to gdc beast after the 6+6 supply, atx cable with 20 pin and 4 pin too with color black, black, yellow, yellow. I connect the expresscard to laptop which it is HP 4520S with i7M640 + 8GB Ram, OS Win 8.1 and hdd MBR formated. When I press turn on on laptop I see one green light which staying for few second after disappear and one red light by the power supply. If i don't chose delay on start the laptop stay black screen and if I chose delay I see the video card in device manager with yellow sign saying: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12).

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system". What can I do about? How can I disable the intel hd video and boot with external one? btw I didn't seen any blue light either. Thank you.

Hello, I buyed EXP GDC Beast from banggod with atx supply. I have video card Nvidia GTX 260, psu I use OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. I connected video card to gdc beast after the 6+6 supply, atx cable with 20 pin and 4 pin too with color black, black, yellow, yellow. I connect the expresscard to laptop which it is HP 4520S with i7M640 + 8GB Ram, OS Win 8.1 and hdd MBR formated. When I press turn on on laptop I see one green light which staying for few second after disappear and one red light by the power supply. If i don't chose delay on start the laptop stay black screen and if I chose delay I see the video card in device manager with yellow sign saying: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12).

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system". What can I do about? How can I disable the intel hd video and boot with external one? btw I didn't seen any blue light either. Thank you.

Error 12 is extensively covered at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2129-diy-egpu-troubleshooting-faq.html#error12_faq1 . Solutions being either:

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

Hi everyone.

I got a signal problem with my exp gdc v.6

I have a small fan for cooling my room. I have a terminal socket (it has six electric sockets). I connect head cable of the fan to terminal socket as same as my monitor. The monitor connected to GTX 750Ti which attached to exp gdc adapter. When I turn off The Fan, My monitor was turned off suddenly and was turned on again. The System reported that display driver has stopped and successful recovered.

I had changed pcie gen2 signal to gen1 on setup 1.3 . But it has no different effect.

How I can resolve it ?

Thank you.

Hi everyone.

I got a signal problem with my exp gdc v.6

I have a small fan for cooling my room. I have a terminal socket (it has six electric sockets). I connect head cable of the fan to terminal socket as same as my monitor. The monitor connected to GTX 750Ti which attached to exp gdc adapter. When I turn off The Fan, My monitor was turned off suddenly and was turned on again. The System reported that display driver has stopped and successful recovered.

I had changed pcie gen2 signal to gen1 on setup 1.3 . But it has no different effect.

How I can resolve it ?

Thank you.

I believe EXP GDC V6 has some voltage fluctuation/filtering issue that causes signal loss at times which you result indicates has happened. I'd suggest ask you vendor for a EXP GDC Beast which supposedly fixes the problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe EXP GDC V6 has some voltage fluctuation/filtering issue that causes signal loss at times which you result indicates has happened. I'd suggest ask you vendor for a EXP GDC Beast which supposedly fixes the problem.

Thanks for your quote.

I have a plan to buy an another enclosure. I think choose this product it's bad idea.

I manage to fix the "error 12" from video card, following the DSDT OVERRIDE FIX ERROR 12 thread.

Now the eGPU working connected to external display. Games are running very good, not problems with them, the only thing it's not nice it is when I wanna watch video on youtube or else where I get some colors like distortion, when I play videos online, games have no problems or offline movie. Do anyone know how to fix this or it is because one of my components? (video card? external monitor?)

Many thanks to Tech Inferno Fan for help.

hi ! i have the exp gdc beast since a week. it was working perfectly out of the box. i have pluged it with mpci-e on lenovo g580 (i5 3230m / hd graphics 4000).

i was abale to test several games without a probleme. i use corsair cx750m as psu to power an asus gtx 670 dc2 with the latest nvidia drivers installed.

And suddenly, when i start a game now, the screen freezes for about 10 sec and then the system crashes. any idea plz ?

can you help me to configure my lenovo g580 for to use exp gdc? mybe i wrong something inside my bios config or i don't know...

After 2 days of use I started to get the display driver stopped and successful recovered, and I'm starting to get some freeze to in windows time to time and I cannot get it out of that state only with hard restart. Tried to play BNS online and I get freeze in game all the time, if I run internal gpu there's no freeze, only to egpu. Is there anything to do about or can I give up on egpu attached to laptop? thank you.

After 2 days of use I started to get the display driver stopped and successful recovered, and I'm starting to get some freeze to in windows time to time and I cannot get it out of that state only with hard restart. Tried to play BNS online and I get freeze in game all the time, if I run internal gpu there's no freeze, only to egpu. Is there anything to do about or can I give up on egpu attached to laptop? thank you.

Your HP HP 4520S is a Gen1-only capable chipset, so it's not going to be Gen2 signalling issues. Instead undervolt/underclock your GTX260 using MSI Afterburner. If still seeing instability then try another PSU and/or video card.

Your HP HP 4520S is a Gen1-only capable chipset, so it's not going to be Gen2 signalling issues. Instead undervolt/underclock your GTX260 using MSI Afterburner. If still seeing instability then try another PSU and/or video card.

After I did underclock from 576mhz/999mhz to 545mhz/945mhz with MSI Afterburner after 2-3 hours of playing BNS I didn't got any stuck and any nvidia driver stop. I will see how it goes further. btw msi afterburner don't allow me to change voltage. I did change the settings to unlock the voltage but nothing. Anyhow by change the clock mhz was helping me. I still don't know how to get rid of the distortion from online video (youtube, twitch or any online site for movie, video). It is like that only when I have the egpu attached so I suppose the problem it is there anywhere, did someone got the same problem?

Thank you Tech Inferno Fan for helping again.

PS: Due to changing the windows to test mode because of dsdt override cannot start DayZ Standalone, the battleye don't wanna start when windows it is in test signing mode . Any idea how to do dsdt override without putting windows in test mode?

After I did underclock from 576mhz/999mhz to 545mhz/945mhz with MSI Afterburner after 2-3 hours of playing BNS I didn't got any stuck and any nvidia driver stop. I will see how it goes further. btw msi afterburner don't allow me to change voltage. I did change the settings to unlock the voltage but nothing. Anyhow by change the clock mhz was helping me. I still don't know how to get rid of the distortion from online video (youtube, twitch or any online site for movie, video). It is like that only when I have the egpu attached so I suppose the problem it is there anywhere, did someone got the same problem?

Thank you Tech Inferno Fan for helping again.

PS: Due to changing the windows to test mode because of dsdt override cannot start DayZ Standalone, the battleye don't wanna start when windows it is in test signing mode . Any idea how to do dsdt override without putting windows in test mode?

You can do an in-memory DSDT override via Setup 1.30 instead which works with test signing turned off. Details at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

Hi

Just a quick question. I bought the exp gdc beast. Am i supposed to use the 4 pin cable from the psu with yellow, orange, red and black (right next to the 20pin cable) or the one for cpu with 2x yellow and 2x black cables?

Hi everybody, i'm new guy use eGPU EXP GDC Beast more than 1 months, yesterday i update the last nvidia driver and play without problem but the day after i can't use eGPU but only one time i can connect and install driver-> restart-> from that point i can't use anymore

Dell XPS 15Z L511Z

i7-2640M 2.8Ghz

12GB Ram

GTX 970 GiGabyte Winforce 3XOC

Dell adapter DA-2 220W

NvidiaGraphics Driver 350.12

Can anyone help me with this ? Sorry for my bad English

You can do an in-memory DSDT override via Setup 1.30 instead which works with test signing turned off. Details at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html

I successfully made DSDT override via Setup 1.30 and beeing able to disable test signing mode in windows following Tech Inferno Fan guide but in my case it is more unstable with DSDT override via Setup 1.30. I get to frequently freeze. I've been tried different PCI compaction and no success. I return back to DSDT override with test signing mode. Perhaps one of the component it is unstable and it is causeing all the problem I get or maybe because of the laptop model I use. I don't know either which one.

Thank you for help.

I successfully made DSDT override via Setup 1.30 and beeing able to disable test signing mode in windows following Tech Inferno Fan guide but in my case it is more unstable with DSDT override via Setup 1.30. I get to frequently freeze. I've been tried different PCI compaction and no success. I return back to DSDT override with test signing mode. Perhaps one of the component it is unstable and it is causeing all the problem I get or maybe because of the laptop model I use. I don't know either which one.

Thank you for help.

The in-memory versus registry DSDT override would accomplish the same thing either neither decreasing stability relative to each other. In which case it seems you have an issue elsewhere.

Your system isn't Gen2 capable so no signalling issue relating to that. You are running a GTX260 which is a power hungry card. Maybe test another PSU and/or video card?

The in-memory versus registry DSDT override would accomplish the same thing either neither decreasing stability relative to each other. In which case it seems you have an issue elsewhere.

Your system isn't Gen2 capable so no signalling issue relating to that. You are running a GTX260 which is a power hungry card. Maybe test another PSU and/or video card?

Was thinking to get gtx 770 but I'm not that sure if it is worth to use it to laptop, I mean to this one I have. But for now i don't have any psu or video card to try.

Hi

Just a quick question. I bought the exp gdc beast. Am i supposed to use the 4 pin cable from the psu with yellow, orange, red and black (right next to the 20pin cable) or the one for cpu with 2x yellow and 2x black cables?

No you plug in the 4pin 12v connector, commonly called CPU power. Its the plug that goes somewhere between the CPU socket and the the top back corner of the motherboard, the one that's hard to reach a lot of the time in a tower :).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm considering buying this product for my last laptop, which is a asus n61vn with a pm45 intel motherboard.

I would like to know if this chipset will work with beast?

Same chipset as my Precision M4400, so yes it will work but we are on a older PCIe bus so have less bandwidth to the card. Also if your running 4gb of ram be prepared for a Code 12 on the new card and having to either drop 1gb of ram or doing a DSDT override. Also I would recommend getting a AMD card, since our discrete nvidia gpus are based on the old architecture we no longer get driver updates so the newest driver your Nvidia eGPU card can have is the newest driver that will work for the discrete GPU, which is already a few months old.

No you plug in the 4pin 12v connector, commonly called CPU power. Its the plug that goes somewhere between the CPU socket and the the top back corner of the motherboard, the one that's hard to reach a lot of the time in a tower :).

Okay, thanks. Thats what i did. The gpu started running and i got a red light, then i heard a pop and smoke came out of the GDC beast. It blew a mosfet right behind the usb port. I got a refund so it's settled.

I really like this technology, but something is really troubling me, would be really appreciate if you can help me out! My laptop model is Asus N55S, and from the EXP GDC site show that ASUS N55SF (not the same model as mine, but similar considered is N seres) is known as unfit model http://i.imgur.com/DXTVS0U.png, i've contact GDC EXP retailer on FB page at first he say it'll definitely fit my laptop, and then i refer him to this image, he says that N55SF known as unfit model due to hardware issue (not mPCI-E slot size), so my question is will my model Asus N55S will fir this products (EXP GDC BEAST)??? Thanks in advance!!

- - - Updated - - -

I really like this technology, but something is really troubling me, would be really appreciate if you can help me out! My laptop model is Asus N55S, and from the EXP GDC site show that ASUS N55SF (not the same model as mine, but similar considered is N seres) is known as unfit model http://i.imgur.com/DXTVS0U.png, i've contact GDC EXP retailer on FB page at first he say it'll definitely fit my laptop, and then i refer him to this image, he says that N55SF known as unfit model due to hardware issue (not mPCI-E slot size), so my question is will my model Asus N55S will fir this products (EXP GDC BEAST)??? Thanks in advance!!