EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hy, first post! The Question is at the end of the post

Studio 1558

I7 640m

8 Gb Ram

120 Gb SSD

Win 7 64 bit

So ordered a EXP GDC Beast V7 which is the complete wrong produkt for my system because it supports just PCIe 1.0 or 1.1.

I should go for a regular x2 link, which my system supports according to

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7482-%5Bguide%[email protected] - a studio 1557

But wait, does the beast v7 support x2?

Tech Inferno Fan earlier said

x2 2.0 can be quoted as 10GBps or 8Gbps depending on whether they count transmission overhead or not.

This does suggest then that EXP GDC V7.0 has x2 2.0 capability.

I know this graphics adapter just has one hdmi entry and i guess the x2 support is ment for M.2(A) which has x2 mpcie support

but is it possible to just fit a hdmi splitter infront of the graphics adapter hdmi entry and go in with mPCIe+ mPCIe? Still have ALOT time before this thing arrives - alot of time for thinking how i could use this produkt instead of throwing it into the market.

I recently got set up with an EXP GDC v7 (Ares) with the metal case and after many hours of tinkering with software settings it's running nicely with my Thinkpad w530 and an old GTX 670 graphics card.

The 670 gets a little loud at maximum fan speed and I'm worried it's going to annoy my girlfriend, so I'm hoping to stick the eGPU+case in the closet. I bought this cable to try and extend the expresscard adapter cable but it doesn't work. It recognizes the video card but glitches on display.

Does anyone know if I should be able to attach an HDMI+ethernet cable as an extension, or is there something special about the adapter cable that would prevent that from working?

Hy, first post! The Question is at the end of the post

Studio 1558

I7 640m

8 Gb Ram

120 Gb SSD

Win 7 64 bit

So ordered a EXP GDC Beast V7 which is the complete wrong produkt for my system because it supports just PCIe 1.0 or 1.1.

I should go for a regular x2 link, which my system supports according to

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/7482-%5Bguide%[email protected] - a studio 1557

But wait, does the beast v7 support x2?

Tech Inferno Fan earlier said

I know this graphics adapter just has one hdmi entry and i guess the x2 support is ment for M.2(A) which has x2 mpcie support

but is it possible to just fit a hdmi splitter infront of the graphics adapter hdmi entry and go in with mPCIe+ mPCIe? Still have ALOT time before this thing arrives - alot of time for thinking how i could use this produkt instead of throwing it into the market.

Correct. Beast appears to support x2 but has no single lanes to plug into your 2 mPCie slots to make it happen. For that, try a PE4C V2.1 instead OR ask the EXP GDC creator for a cable that can split off the x2 link into separate lanes.

If you are running Win8.1 then you could enable your i7-640M's dormant iGPU to enable x1 PCIe compression with a NVidia card. That could net an extra 30-300% in DX9: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801

I recently got set up with an EXP GDC v7 (Ares) with the metal case and after many hours of tinkering with software settings it's running nicely with my Thinkpad w530 and an old GTX 670 graphics card.

The 670 gets a little loud at maximum fan speed and I'm worried it's going to annoy my girlfriend, so I'm hoping to stick the eGPU+case in the closet. I bought this cable to try and extend the expresscard adapter cable but it doesn't work. It recognizes the video card but glitches on display.

Does anyone know if I should be able to attach an HDMI+ethernet cable as an extension, or is there something special about the adapter cable that would prevent that from working?

W520 has a Gen2 pci-e capable EC slot. If trying to use some form of extender cable then be aware of signal degradation that occurs at coupling points. You may need to revert your expresscard slot to Gen1 speed via the BIOS or Setup 1.30 software to get success there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Correct. Beast appears to support x2 but has no single lanes to plug into your 2 mPCie slots to make it happen. For that, try a PE4C V2.1 instead OR ask the EXP GDC creator for a cable that can split off the x2 link into separate lanes.

If you are running Win8.1 then you could enable your i7-640M's dormant iGPU to enable x1 PCIe compression with a NVidia card. That could net an extra 30-300% in DX9: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/6792-%5Bguide%5D-15-acer-aspire-5742g-gtx660ti%402gbps-c-mpcie1-pe4c-1-2-win8-1-a.html#post92801 .

Activating the iGPU on studio 1558? Man, I already gave up after the dell support said that I would need a different Mainboard for using it.

I will give this a try!

The x2 link option may have to wait but i will consider that after i got this running with NVidia compression - and see how it´s running.

You guys make a lot of things happen!

Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan, I think I'll get a fancier cable and experiment with it to see if better plugs = less degradation = compatibility, but it sounds like in the end I'll probably have to settle for the built-in cable in order to hang onto Gen2 speed. I'm not clear what the real-world difference between Gen1 and Gen2 is, I guess this will be a chance to find out.

W520 has a Gen2 pci-e capable EC slot. If trying to use some form of extender cable then be aware of signal degradation that occurs at coupling points. You may need to revert your expresscard slot to Gen1 speed via the BIOS or Setup 1.30 software to get success there.

hi guys - totally new to this nice place - I wanted to ask if someone know - what size DC port is on EXP GDC Beast??!! Can it be 5.5x2.5 or its smaller ? thanks in advance

You are correct sir!

...And It allows for a maximum load of 150W.

EXP GDC seller says that 5.5 x 2.1 plug is used in DC - so is 5.5x2.5 back-compatible with 5.5x2.1 plug ? As I understand 2.5 is plugs center radius, please correct me if i'm wrong

udpate: I will buy DA-2 AC localy for my new EXP GDC setup - will inform you about process, I will try to pair Brix GB-BXi5H-4200 with STRIX-GTX750TI-OC-2GD5

Hi, folks!

Here comes another compatibility problem with a EXP GDC V7.0 Ares.

Funny thing is that both my laptop and graphic card have been previously tested succesfully by other users.

I'm experiencing two different kinds of failure with the two different GPUs that I bought (I was so excited with the idea of connecting an external GPU that I bought two models, one AMD Powercolor HD7750, and one Geforce GTX570).

The GTX570 is not even recognized. I've tried to check if it is pushed all the way into the slot, as many people mentioned, but there's no way to push it further. I've played a little with the little switch at EXP GDC, rebooting, reconnecting things, but nothing. No sign of life appart from lights on and the its cooler blowing.

The Radeon HD7750 prevents the computer from starting if I leave the little switch to the right, but it turns on when I switch to the left. Although I don't get any video in the external monitor, the laptop recognizes the GPU, but some nasty issue keeps giving me the message that I have the wrong drivers, keeping that ugly yellow triangle on top of the Radeon video adapter, at the same time that Windows says that the driver is already updated. Yup, I have disabled the native video adapter, and it makes no difference.

Following the last post's tips, I updated my BIOS, but that changed nothing either.

I have an HP 6470b, i7-3720qm, 16GB RAM, Intel Graphics HD4000; Windows7 Pro SP1; Connecting through Express Card; Using an ATX 700W throughout these tests. Tried both HDMI and VGA adapter to connect it to a FullHD TV.

Does my experience echo with someone else's? Should the newest BEAST model be a solution to these problems? (apparently HP has some compatibility issues with this gadget). Any ideas to make me a happier person?

PS.: I`ve just tested the same GPUs on an older Sony Vaio VPCCW21FX with i7-620M, and the Radeon HD7750 worked nicelly, but the Geforce GTX570 didn`t show at Video adapters. That reinforces the idea that (most) of the problems are produced by some sort of HP issue. I`ll keep on trying more variations!

Hello,

Recently I've got my brand new EXP GDC BEAST for my SONY VPCF13Z1R(8GB RAM/WIN7) and Gigabyte GV-N650OC-4GI (with ATX 550).

It works. Without any special tricks.

But on some high graphics options, or when changing resolution in game, or when changing/loading new instance/mission it just turns power off, lights go dark, fan stops, laptop works a few moments and then restarts with iGPU or frezzes. Once it shuts down just on desktop without any special graphics apps were loaded.

What could it be? Any ideas please?

Thanks.

A little history:

This laptop has integrated GT425M, with PCIe 1.1 (but HWinfo shows somehow sometimes 2.0)

So I haven't great expectations. I've tested this laptop with EXP GDC V6 with GTX770 and got low results.

Now I got my own hardware.

Also I tried friend's HD7850 with that set, but it goes to black screen with vertical lines after windows login.

P.S. Furmark kicks to power off in 0,5 sec. Got no idea, is it bad hardware BEAST or a bad graphics card...

this is the same scenario with mine :sorrow:

That is unbelievable but the problem is in ATX PSU!

Old Thermaltake 550 TR2 RX somehow failed to provide with appropriate power.

The symptoms indicated to bad PSU, but I just couldn't believe how 550W PSU failed to supply 65W GPU...

Well the problem resolved.

Everybody who has similar problem - try another PSU.

Hey,

I was very thrilled to read that the EXP GDC V7 supports M.2 ( NGFF ),but the product info and picture suggest that

it uses the A-Notch interface. Sadly nearly every notebook comes with a B-Notch socket.

Does anybody know if a B-Notch release is planned?

That is unbelievable but the problem is in ATX PSU!

Old Thermaltake 550 TR2 RX somehow failed to provide with appropriate power.

The symptoms indicated to bad PSU, but I just couldn't believe how 550W PSU failed to supply 65W GPU...

Well the problem resolved.

Everybody who has similar problem - try another PSU.

it also comes down tp the amperage supplied on the power rails like 12v power rail its amperage rating is important

it also comes down tp the amperage supplied on the power rails like 12v power rail its amperage rating is important

I'm testing the old Inwin 300w PSU. Looks like it's ok yet. But when I begin Furmark test with dynamic camera and post-fx settings set, the PSU starts to make some noise like chirping condenser.

Also my tests with different GPU shows, that PCIe 1.1 bottleneck is always in different places according to app.

I'll write a complete story after some more tests.

Another interesting thing with that eGPU hardware set:

1080p videos on Youtube under Chrome stutter and drop frames.

Problem partially solved by desabling hardware acceleration in Chrome, but some little stutter and framedrop still happens.

Under Opera or IE same thing like Chrome without hardware acceleration - some very little stutter, especially in windowed mode.

Well with iGPU there is no stuttering or bad framedrops in any modes, with or without hardware acceleration, in different browsers. Video goes smooth.

Besides, there are a lot of messages in the Internet about such problem with Chrome/Youtube/1080p, but they seems to be having trouble without eGPU sets.

So there is some interesting bottleneck: slow bus or hardware/softare incompatibility bug, that showed up itself in that conditions.

To continue the story with eGPU and ATX PSU:

I gave back to store Gigabyte GV-N650OC-4GI GTX 650 (not powerful enough), and bought Palit GTX 970 Jetstream.

Tried to connect to bad Thermaltake TR2 RX 550W but using different lines - no chance.

The old Inwin 300W shows some interesting things:

1. In 2d/Windows Desktop view it works ok.

2. In BF4 for example its fan starts to rotate ultra fast, and the PSU does some loud rattle and chirp/squeak noise, but works fine (for at least 5-10 minutes that I tested).

3. In Diablo 3 -same thing, maybe not so loud.

4. Furmark shuts the eGPU down in a second, like the bad Thermaltake.

But there is one more interesting thing: when I used the line from eGPU as the second additional power line to supply GTX 970 - eGPU shuts down just on start of the games.

But when I used both two additional lines direct from PSU to supply GTX 970 - it makes noise, its fan goes mad, but it works.

Well after all, I've ordered the Chieftech 1250W to put the dot in that PSU story. Waiting it to come on Saturday.

Looks like the 4-pin line used to supply eGPU/GPU primary needs is unsuitable to supply through to the additional GPU input in some situations.

More tests coming.

P.S. Well the framerate on GTX 970 in BF4 (all that I had time to test) is much more better than GTX 650 OC even on that slow PCIe 1.1 x16(?), I'll give some exact info on final post.

Hi guys, I ordered the EXP GDC V7.0 Ares on Nov 24 and it hasn't arrived to me yet... did you guys have the same problem?

Since you're importing from China it takes all from 10 days up to four weeks (depending on time of the year). Wait another week and see.

Sent from my iPhone

I ordered EXP GDC BEAST from hero cloud on 2014.11.12

And got it on post office on 2014.12.05

here in Moscow, Russia.

Since you're importing from China it takes all from 10 days up to four weeks (depending on time of the year). Wait another week and see.

Sent from my iPhone

Ok thanks you guys for the supportive answering, does the adapter comes with psu?