EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

Hmm, Might as well get a normal PSU then, right? What source is easiest to buy from for europe (netherlands)? Banggood?

Banggood sells the V7 adapter, which for the most part was a step backwards from the V6 feature set (poor position connectors, no USB port). EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00

To get the latest Beast product with the best features to date, you'll want to buy either via aliexpress or via the Yoybuy links at the start of the thread. AFAIK @jacobsson highlights purchases via Yoybuy do not incur import taxes to EU countries. We'll wait to see if he has further revised input on the best way to buy.

Sorry guys, I've busy with work for the last weeks. I'll update the thread with the new Beast adapter as soon as I can. Thanks @Tech Inferno Fan for posting news in the thread!

Regarding my Da-2 + GTX970 problem:

I had the GPU replaced and I still face the same blackout problem. Atm i can't recommend using the DA-2 with the maxwell 970 or higher. I'm currently waiting for a Thunder2Box to test with. Other variables could be the NVIDIA 370xx driver series, so that will be my next step of troubleshooting.

/Jacobsson

Sent from my iPhone

• Thumbs Up 1

Since they wont ship the Da-2 anyway, wouldnt a 300w powersupply be better (for me) with a 680/970 ?

And can anyone give details about the scaling of the GPU and the actual performance gain? Since i own a laptop with a 765m is it smart for me to get a eGPU, or would it be too much trouble for the gain?

Hi, I have some weird news in regards to my Lenovo l440 & EXP GDC freezing problems...

I've tried the setup with a few different laptops (though all of them were Lenovo T/L440 (haswell notebooks with similar motherboard)), different GPUs and different OSes (WIn7, Win8, ...) and it always ended up the same way (hotplug > freeze / nothing, pre-boot plug-in > freeze). I've tested a few other Express Card slot cards (USB 3.0, etc.) and all of them worked well. That itself would make sense, EXP GDC is known for being faulty sometimes but there's one more thing that makes it quite weird. In additional to the modern laptops I've also tried the setup with an old (2009-ish) HP laptop (Core2Duo T8100) and with it it actually work as you'd expect, the device got recognized as some VGA card. Couldn't try anything else but it's still way more than I got from my / modern Lenovo laptops...

So, now I'm a bit torn... Normally I'd say that EXP GDC must be faulty but then it should not work with all laptops including the older ones, right? On the other hand, the probability that all the Lenovo laptops I've tried it with were faulty in the same way and the fault only surfaced with EXP GDC and not other cards seems to me terribly low as well...

So, by any chance isn't anyone here from Prague who'd be willing to help me with the testing? I'd really prefer not to spend another 60-ish dolars on a new EXP GDC beast only to find out that Lenovo somehow ***-up all new laptops (We have a confirmed case that EXP GDC worked with L440) either via different motherboard or BIOS update. Any help or advice is appreciated.

BTW: Any chance cloud-hero might refund me / give me discount (a precedence would help in negotiation)?

Hi, I have some weird news in regards to my Lenovo l440 & EXP GDC freezing problems...

I've tried the setup with a few different laptops (though all of them were Lenovo T/L440 (haswell notebooks with similar motherboard)), different GPUs and different OSes (WIn7, Win8, ...) and it always ended up the same way (hotplug > freeze / nothing, pre-boot plug-in > freeze). I've tested a few other Express Card slot cards (USB 3.0, etc.) and all of them worked well. That itself would make sense, EXP GDC is known for being faulty sometimes but there's one more thing that makes it quite weird. In additional to the modern laptops I've also tried the setup with an old (2009-ish) HP laptop (Core2Duo T8100) and with it it actually work as you'd expect, the device got recognized as some VGA card. Couldn't try anything else but it's still way more than I got from my / modern Lenovo laptops...

So, now I'm a bit torn... Normally I'd say that EXP GDC must be faulty but then it should not work with all laptops including the older ones, right? On the other hand, the probability that all the Lenovo laptops I've tried it with were faulty in the same way and the fault only surfaced with EXP GDC and not other cards seems to me terribly low as well...

So, by any chance isn't anyone here from Prague who'd be willing to help me with the testing? I'd really prefer not to spend another 60-ish dolars on a new EXP GDC beast only to find out that Lenovo somehow ***-up all new laptops (We have a confirmed case that EXP GDC worked with L440) either via different motherboard or BIOS update. Any help or advice is appreciated.

BTW: Any chance cloud-hero might refund me / give me discount (a precedence would help in negotiation)?

Suggest you hotplug the eGPU in Setup 1.30. Set the port to Gen1 speed to match your Core2Duo system, then chainload to the OS. NVidia drivers don't play nice if the eGPU adapter cannot maintain a Gen2 link but the hosting port is set to Gen2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Suggest you hotplug the eGPU in Setup 1.30. Set the port to Gen1 speed to match your Core2Duo system, then chainload to the OS. NVidia drivers don't play nice if the eGPU adapter cannot maintain a Gen2 link but the hosting port is set to Gen2.

Hotplug in Setup 1.30 results in the same scenario as hotplug in Windows... either the screen freezes or nothing happens.

BTW: It's an AMD card and I don't have the drivers installed yet.

Hi @ all,

after reading a lot as a guest, I decided to register to this forum and explain my experience.

@Petrroll:

I also bought an EXP GDC V6.0 and nothing worked for me! I also own a Lenovo Thinkpad T540p and had Problems with the detection of my eGPU. My first adapter didn't work at all, so I talked to herocloud and got a second EXP GDC (this time V7.0)!

At first I had again problems and no eGPU was found! I tried both EC-cables and also pushed the cable and connector into different directions. Nothing happened! I also tried different power supplies (220W Dell and 500W ATX PSU). Same problem!

I was wondering about the automatic power switch off after disconnecting the cable. So I shortet the Pins 13 & 14 (PS_ON signal) of the 24pin ATX connector and the eGPU was powered all the time with the ATX PSU! Now my eGPU (AMD R9 280X) was found, but in Windows I had again problems with the connection. I could install the driver but the connection got lost ==> blue screen. I didn't receive any stable connection to my eGPU. I also thougth like you maybe my EC-slot is defect. I also tried an old nvidia 9800 GT with the same bad connection. I think the adapters or cables are defect and cannot hold the connection alive. I was really sad. After talking again to herocloud, he refunded the money for the adapter.

This time I bought the PE4C V2.1 and everything is working fine! I've got a stable x1.2 connection! But again I have problems with the automatic powering of the adapter! With the auto power function activated, I didn't get a connection to my eGPU! After shorting again the 2 pins of the 24pin ATX connector the eGPU was found and everthing worked fine! Maybe this is a problem of the Lenovo T/Lx40 series? Could you please check this for you? I hope this will help you.

Hi, everybody!

Can someone explain difference between Aliexpress.com : Buy EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card BEAST Series Expresscard Set from Reliable set game card suppliers on hero cloud's store and Aliexpress.com : Buy EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card BEAST Series Expresscard Set from Reliable set game card suppliers on hero cloud's store in simple words? Is cheaper one contains power and all required items to connect GTX 460 to Lenovo X230?

I asked seller about it, but answer I got was: "The former is customized orders, configuration three data lines.". I am totally confused about this answer.

Best regards.

Hi, everybody!

Can someone explain difference between Aliexpress.com : Buy EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card BEAST Series Expresscard Set from Reliable set game card suppliers on hero cloud's store and Aliexpress.com : Buy EXP GDC Laptop External External PCI E graphics card BEAST Series Expresscard Set from Reliable set game card suppliers on hero cloud's store in simple words? Is cheaper one contains power and all required items to connect GTX 460 to Lenovo X230?

I asked seller about it, but answer I got was: "The former is customized orders, configuration three data lines.". I am totally confused about this answer.

Best regards.

The first has only an expresscard cable ("1 data line"). The second has an expresscard, mPCIe and NGFF cable ("3 data lines"). Neither has the 220W Dell DA-2 PSU instead providing the ATX cable for use with a user-supplied ATX PSU. For your X230 the first will do the job.

Just received my metal EXP GDC enclosure. Since I have the v6 I put this as a comment in my order, requesting the v6 version as instructed by Taobao customer service. The chassis itself is actually the same, but it now comes with an additional bottom piece for the EXP GDC v6 for it to mount in the chassis. Screwdrivers (allen & philips), nuts, screws and bolts are all included.

LE3gjEk.jpg

Also included as seen in the picture above is the 8-pin to 8-pin extension cord since the v6's 8-pin slot is positioned behind the grated metal.

SzJxmad.jpg

Installed and ready to go :)

• Thumbs Up 2

@Kaas93

I love it! Could you provide more pictures of your setup? I'd like to see some pics inside the enclosure with gpu mounted.

Here you go! Don't pay the 6-pin cable business any mind, I know it's a mess but I still need a direct 6-pin -> 2x 6-pin splitter :P

De4PDwM.jpg

1T0mVBm.jpg

bTx32Qx.jpg

9lSyu9S.png

ZECb63o.png

aW0iwbY.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi folks! this is my first post around, even though I've been reading for months, so please pardon me if I look like a newbie.

I have some doubts about EXP GDC and its compatibility with my current laptop, which is a Dell E4310. I know is not a high end but I bought it few weeks ago for 100$ and it looks like new.

The thing is that I've read here: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html some info about 1st generation i5 processors. <strike>It mainly says that they were only capable of run an eGpu using two ports in order to use "high performance", however that information is from 2010-2011. </strike>Now that we have among us some products as this EXP GDC (V6 or V7, I don't mind as long as it works), I'd like to know if I have the possibility of using an EXP GDC with Expresscard (by itself, not using 2 x1 ports, or MiniPciE ports) and a spare gpu that I have (GTX 550ti) in order to improve the graphic performance of my laptop. And of course ¿Will I notice in a 1st gen i5 processor a huge performance? Consider that my actual "gpu" is an IntelHD.

Sorry if this has been asked many times, I haven't find many things about similar computers (E4300, E6410, etc.)

Thanks in advance.

Hello @Tech Inferno Fan,

Could you please give me some advice? I don't hace enough money to throw it in a EXP GDC without knowing if it is going to work.

Ps: Sorry for the previous missunderstood (The part of my text that is struck) , what I meant to say was that the most recent comments from users with my same specs were from 2010-2011. Sorry about that

Hello @Tech Inferno Fan,

Could you please give me some advice? I don't hace enough money to throw it in a EXP GDC without knowing if it is going to work.

Ps: Sorry for the previous missunderstood (The part of my text that is struck) , what I meant to say was that the most recent comments from users with my same specs were from 2010-2011. Sorry about that

E4310 supports an eGPU inc Optimus internal LCD mode as I've done it myself on that system. You also need two additional steps for it to work propertly on a E4310 (1) PCI Reset Delay mechanism for the BIOS to not see it on boot and therefore not use the eGPU as the primary video device. Both EXP GDC V6 and PE4C V2.1 have that and (2) You'll need to apply http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/7476-%5Bguide%5D-dsdt-override-fix-error-12-a.html as TOLUD=3.5GB on a E4310. I'll say that a PE4C V2.1 is a more reliable piece of gear with better Gen2 signalling. Not that a E4310 supports Gen2 but maybe you'll upgrade down to a Sandy Bridge or newer notebook and could do with that feature?

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a Acer 5733 with:

dual core i3 at 2.4Ghz

4 GB DDR3 RAM

I want to buy this Adapter with the mPCI version. On videos and forums I have only seen people use GTX's or HD7770's or what have you. I would like to know if I can use a R7 250x 1 GB DDR3 in this adapter? I havent seen any R7/R9 cards used with specific adapter??

Also; some of these Adapters come with a 220w PSU instead of using your own old/buy a new PSU?

Regards, a hesitant buyer.

After a lot of decision making, I have decided that I would end my eGPU project soon. I will go building a gaming PC, since I have about 2 same cards but different brands, a PSU, a monitor, and a case. I thank you everyone who helped me in achieving such a great milestone, especially @Tech Inferno Fan, I won't forget the experience that I've been through.

• Thumbs Up 2

Important updated added to the start of the thread:

I recommend a slightly pricier BPlus PE4C V2.1 over any EXP GDC product as it has no Gen2 expresscard signalling issues when tested on my Dell E6440. The EXP GDC V6 does glitch occasionally with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" with the manufacturer unwilling to supply an updated Beast product for review. I'm therefore assuming the problem isn't corrected in the newer version

hi ! i have the exp gdc beast since a week. it was working perfectly out of the box. i have pluged it with mpci-e on lenovo g580 (i5 3230m / hd graphics 4000).

i was abale to test several games without a probleme. i use corsair cx750m as psu to power an asus gtx 670 dc2 with the latest nvidia drivers installed.

And suddenly, when i start a game now, the screen freezes for about 10 sec and then the system crashes. any idea plz ?

... any idea plz ?

May some problem with driver, inegrated vs gtx, take control what card u use for gaming, try to off inegrated card in system panel

Make a safely remove eGPU like a flash USB, and plug in again, fo reconfiguration of system.

Make safely remove eGPU BEFORE shutdown laptop!

i have done a lot of tests and this the results so far :

265689test.png

- this is not a psu probleme as the 750w is alredy running an i5 4690k + gigabyte gtx 970 with no probleme

- using amd or nvidia card have no effect so it is not a probleme of drivers

- games was tested in both directx9 and directx11

it was working for a week perfectly then suddenly it does not now.

i guess that the source of the probleme is a deffective componant in the adapter.

is there any way to contact cloudhero ?

post-31172-14494998873479_thumb.png