EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

EXP GDC's innovative features (x16 slot, detachable mHDMI cable, Dell DA-2 PSU, PCIe power splitter connector) have forced BPlus to upp their game. Worth waiting to see if EXP GDC is updated to integrated some of PE4C's unique features as well as the feedback about EXP GDC V6 having a better layout than V7. If you absolutely need an adapter now then a US$50 EXP GDC V6 will most certainly do the job: EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00 . If not, then might be worth waiting to see the next EXP GDC product updates.

What I meant was if it's possible for pe4c parts would work with exp gdv v6 base.

What I meant was if it's possible for pe4c parts would work with exp gdv v6 base.

Here is my boring answer:

Have in mind that EXP GDC and PE4C might have different pinouts, that could cause damage to your system and/or GPU.

Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum, but I have been checking this forum for a long time since i have been looking into crafting a egpu for my mid 2012 macbook pro for quite some time now. I found the following adapter via a Youtube channel, what do you guys think of it? Link: EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card - US$50.00. I was thinking about combining the expresscard version with the sonnet expresscard to thunderbolt adapter, but I thought it might be easier to ask on this forum before actually buying it.

I have the following questions:

1: Could I run the following setup in bootcamp?

2. Could GPU's run on full potential or does this setup bottleneck a GPU?

3. Any other remark?

Thanks

Cheers

EDIT: the video I saw this setup on:

Does Ares V7.0 Support Thunderbolt ???From the info on site (aliexpress) it seems YES. I mean If i get a cable HDMI to Thunderbolt will it work??

It's a marketting ploy. There's no Thunderbolt chip on the EXP GDC boards as Cloud isn't a certified Intel developer. It means he's counting on the the Sonnet TB-to-Expresscard adapter to gain TB support. That constricts bandwidth from native 16Gbps-TB2 or 10Gbps-TB1 to 4Gbps-EC2. You can see the arrangement needed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8007-bizon-ru-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html#post105056

It's a marketting ploy. There's no Thunderbolt chip on the EXP GDC boards as Cloud isn't a certified Intel developer. It means he's counting on the the Sonnet TB-to-Expresscard adapter to gain TB support. That constricts bandwidth from native 16Gbps-TB2 or 10Gbps-TB1 to 4Gbps-EC2. You can see the arrangement needed at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8007-bizon-ru-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html#post105056

4GBps will be enough right? What i mean is that it will use the GPU to its full potential right, it wont throgtle?

Anyone looking at setting up an egpu with M.2 ngff port and EXP GDC V7.0 be advise, from messaging hero cloud at Aliexpress it appears the ngff adaptor is not compatible with the common B or M ngff ports, but is rather A key.

I came across this off the sale sites, says "ngff(slot A)" and from counting pins in images to try and identify compatibility with my own computer.

Here's my conversation with hero cloud:

post-8324-14494998602252_thumb.jpg

If anyone has further, or contradictory information feel free to correct me

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I have a question regarding faulty EXP GDC 6. Is it possible (more likely that my laptop is at fault here) that EXP GDC 6 is faulty in a way that makes hot plugging it in end up in one of two situations:

A) Nothing happens, eGPU not visible in HWInfo / Device Manager

B) Laptop's screen freezes, unfreezes after unplugging (like nothing has happened).

When plugged in before boot, nothing happens. The laptop just hangs on black screen before anything show up...

@jacobsson

I've tried that without much luck. On the other hand, it is true that once when I really pressed it in I manged to get the card recognized without freeze. Wasn't able to reproduce it though...

But even if it was faulty ExpressCard, isn't it weird that it sometimes (quite frequently) freezes the screen? Has something similar ever happend to anyone?

I actually have an AMD card. But, nonetheless, it didn't make any difference. The problem is that it either freezes (you can't install the drivers) or it doesn't detect anything (again, can't install a driver for something that has not been recognized as connected). The pressing it in helped only once...

I'll probably write to cloud hero and ask him for a new EXP-GDC as that is most likely the source of the problem...

I actually have an AMD card. But, nonetheless, it didn't make any difference. The problem is that it either freezes (you can't install the drivers) or it doesn't detect anything (again, can't install a driver for something that has not been recognized as connected). The pressing it in helped only once...

I'll probably write to cloud hero and ask him for a new EXP-GDC as that is most likely the source of the problem...

Yeah it might be a cable issue, worst case is that your express card slot is somehow damaged or incompatible.

You don't happen to have a PE4L to test with?

And what system are you using?

Yeah it might be a cable issue, worst case is that your express card slot is somehow damaged or incompatible.

You don't happen to have a PE4L to test with?

And what system are you using?

Unfortunately I don't have PE4L to test with not do I know anyone from Czech republic who might lend me one for testing. As of system, I'm using Lenovo l440 which has been proven to work with exp gdc (though only once and with older bios).

Unfortunately I don't have PE4L to test with not do I know anyone from Czech republic who might lend me one for testing. As of system, I'm using Lenovo l440 which has been proven to work with exp gdc (though only once and with older bios).

OK, so that narrows it down a bit. What is your current system?

Ok, no I am really fu**ed. I purchased the metal case v6 version at yoybuy, which is now packed and will sent tomorrow, I think. I waited for ordering the EXP GDC v6 at Banggood because I wanted to be sure, that at yoyboy will be no complications. Also banggood offered very fast and cheap Netherland Direct Mail for the EXP GDC, so I had could order later and both, the adapter and the metal case should arrive at the same time.

But now:

1. Netherland Direct Mail not longer available. Only the very slow or the pricier options. Arrrrrrrrrgh

2. No longer in stock. "Expected restock on 12th November 2014" Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

3. V6 Version seems not available any more. The pictures are only showing v7 now. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :54_002:

So I ask here: Has somebody a (used) EXP GDC v6 adapter, which he would sell? I don't know what to do.