EXP GDC Beast/Ares-V7/V6 discussion

@Tech Inferno Fan

That is awesome! There really is no counterpart to the DA-2 in my opinion.

We should probably start making some DA-2 to PCIe converter cables for this adapter, with inbuilt power rocker switch.

This could be great for the eGPU community.

Very good idea. With Maxwell's decreased power requirements 220W (or 240W depending on who you talk to) will be plenty. Even with Keplar, 240W is enough to power a factory clocked GTX770 or HD7950/R9 280(not X). That's near top tier for performance. OK, so you can't use a OCed GTX770, GTX780, Titan, HD7970, R9 280x, or R9 290/290x. Those are the top-tier performance cards commanding a price premium.

EXP GDC V6 220W mPCIe kit now US$50-shipped. WOW!!

Things just get better. Seems the bangood EXP GDC V6 mPCIe 220W kit is now US$50-shipped. Wow!! Nothing has changed since last it was US$77-shipped in any part of the listing. The package contents are still the same. Maybe Cloud made too many of them and is offloading at cost or minimal profit to increase cashflow?

EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$50.00

Package include:

1x EXP GDC A motherboard

1x Mini PCI-E cable or Expresscard data lines

1x 220W dedicated power

1x 6 pin Graphics power cable

1x AC power cord

NOTE: We will send you the free plug adapter according to your country.

Free Shipping to United States via Standard Shipping | 7-20 business days

I didn't notice it but they even mention "expresscard line" in there. I've tried to get an answer from Bangood on how one gets that but haven't got a reply as yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Things just get better. Seems the bangood EXP GDC V6 mPCIe 220W kit is now US$50-shipped. Wow!! Nothing has changed since last it was US$77-shipped in any part of the listing. The package contents are still the same. Maybe Cloud made too many of them and is offloading at cost or minimal profit to increase cashflow?

EXP GDC Laptop External PCI-E Graphics Card Mini PCI-E Set - US$50.00

I didn't notice it but they even mention "expresscard line" in there. I've tried to get an answer from Bangood on how one gets that but haven't got a reply as yet.

Jesus,

I don't get how this is possible for profit?! Since I already have to EXP GDC at home I don't have any reason get another, even if it's tempting =)

@jacobsson @Tech Inferno Fan

Thank you both my eGPU gurus!!

Yes this DA-2 Dell Adapter really is something! I hope it still has enough units for enthusiasts to purchase, I think there is also a 330 Watt Dell Adapter too, let me find that link. here; This might be useful for future reiterations of eGPU products for R9 290X and 780 ti GPUs, but still I forgot about the bandwidth limits of current mini PCIe ports of laptops...

Amazon.com: Dell Alienware M18x 330W AC Adapter XM3C3 ADP-330AB B DA330PM111: Computers & Accessories

Meanwhile Banggood might have droppped the price to compete with Yoybuy's and the rest of the other sites selling this setup since charges will be higher anyway considering the weight of the DA-2 adapter. Otherwise, they just want to "Bang Good" know what I mean? LOL

Everyday I am learning new things here thanks everyone!

No good unfortunately. That's because it is a 19.4V unit. Need it to be 12V like the Dell DA-2.

As mentioned, the 240W Dell DA-2 ceiling is enough for a factory-clocked GTX770. If need a more powerful card then could just use two of them. Alternatively, wait for Maxwell bringing more power efficiency. Read somewhere that Maxwell may give considerable power savings such that we'd see Titan (~GTX780Ti) performance at < 200W.

• Thumbs Up 1

No good unfortunately. That's because it is a 19.4V unit. Need it to be 12V like the Dell DA-2.

As mentioned, the 240W Dell DA-2 ceiling is enough for a factory-clocked GTX770. If need a more powerful card then could just use two of them. Alternatively, wait for Maxwell bringing more power efficiency. Read somewhere that Maxwell may give considerable power savings such that we'd see Titan (~GTX780Ti) performance at < 200W.

Alright thanks so much Tech Inferno Fan, keeping my fingers crossed that I can gather all the stuff and do a mini review hopefully by the end of this month, I still don't have tracking number for that EXP GDC V6 from yoybuy, and I think imma have to purchase separately that 6 pin to dual 6+2 pin pcie cable from aliexpress sheesh..

Yeah power effeciency is needed much, heck intel already is having 14nm tech on the way;

AnandTech | Intel

And one more thing, after researching enough regardiing the Radeon 7950 and its power consumption I found a trusted testing wherein graphs show ACTUAL POWER consumption of the GPU alone from across 6 brands and it shows that it peaks only @ 180 Watts so I believe I am safe, what a relief! Link down below;

Power Consumption - Radeon HD 7950 3 GB: Six Cards, Benchmarked And Reviewed

Tell me what kind of video card should be placed on a standard power supply?

And whether it is worth to buy gtx 680 & 760 & 660 | amd r9 290?

Will the power supply and what is the bandwidth?

How best video card you choose?

it's now US$50 without the Dell 220W AC adapter

The too-good-to-be true US$50 pricepoint is now over. It's US$50-shipped *without* the Dell DA-2 AC adapter. Presumably must come with the ATX cable. In addition, they are now listing the expresscard version for US$3 more. Still not bad if you can get the 220W Dell DA-2 locally for a good price or just use with an ATX PSU.

Tell me what kind of video card should be placed on a standard power supply?

And whether it is worth to buy gtx 680 & 760 & 660 | amd r9 290?

Will the power supply and what is the bandwidth?

How best video card you choose?

First search your preferred GPU, search it's rated TDP (wikipedia, anandtech, etc)

Any GPU with TDP greater than 250 watts definitely needs an ATX power supply.

Regarding bandwidth performance, its a whole different story, it can be bottlenecked by the type of PCI-e you will have, PCI-e 3.0 is the latest but sufficient enough, thunderbolt 2 will be the fastest.

If you have a an NVIDIA discreet GPU in your lappy, go with NVIDIA, if AMD go with AMD.

Hope that helped

Soif additional power is 2x6pin (2x75w) + pci 75w
Soif additional power is 2x6pin (2x75w) + pci 75w

= 225w

And Ilike the adapter in the topic title, I do not understand what you write aboutthunderbolt 2.0

= 225w

And Ilike the adapter in the topic title, I do not understand what you write aboutthunderbolt 2.0

29002146921l.jpg

I am correct, this 6 + 6 pin (75 watts each)

gigabyte-gtx780-4.jpg

If this is the case it will be 75 + 150 = 225 W (6+8 pin) but I am not sure really it depends on the cards official TDP.

Thunderbolt 2 setups are already present here, just try to search for them, heck there is even an SLI of 780 ti setup with a macbook pro 15 via Thunderbolt connection.

I always thought NVIDIA cards were preferred for Optimus?

Correct me if I am wrong but if you have a discreet mobile NVIDIA GPU on your laptop, NVIDIA eGPU is surely the way to go to utilize internal screen mirroring via Optimus, and same applies to any discreet AMD GPU like my setup...but could not make the display run internal screen but should be projected to another monitor(no equivalent Optimus functionality for AMD)

Hey folks, I bought an Elitebook 2560p some time ago and found out about egpu's because of it. Naturally I stumbled upon your infinitely helpful threads here on Tech Inferno. I've just now ordered a EXP GDC v6 from Banggood and look forward to receiving it. I figured now would be a good time to join the forum. Also, I'd like to extend my gratitude already to @jacobsson and especially @Tech Inferno Fan for their really helpful information. I was pleasantly surprised to see that you guys put so much effort in to helping the DIY egpu community.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, I want use EXP GDC V6.0 for Laptop me . Can it work ?

i using Alienware m14x r2

core i7

ram 16 gb

ssd 128gb

vga gt650m

"Sorry for any incorrect on my conversation, my English is not good."

As far as I've been able to find out, your laptop is not equipped with an Expresscard slot. If you have a spare MPcie connector on your motherboard or don't mind losing your WiFi capabilities you can hook the EXP GDC up to an MPcie slot.

BTW: I'm planning on using some extra fans in my enclosure. My 560 ti will need both 6 pin connections so I basically have no options to power the fans (3 pins). The only thing I've been able to find so far is going from one of the 6pins -> 3x molex and have 2x molex power a 6pins connector again and use the third molex to power the fans. I'm pretty sure this is a bad idea though. Since I'm tapping power from the 6pin that the card needs even though the fans only draw 0.8watts according to the product info sheet. Is there any other easy way to power these fans with the DA-2 without leaving my 560 ti unpowered? I haven't got any means to solder wires (nor the experience) so I would like to avoid anything like that.

Hey How are you guys? Yes I received my EXP GDC V6 just minutes ago but my HDD crashed, got dang bad timing!

Anyone know how to fix a cyclic redundancy error? I am now using an enclosure and wanting to recover windows 8.1 without data loss (sounds like a fantasy) Any good and trusted recovery software you guys can recommend?

I worked with "get data back for ntfs" a year ago. I could restore nearly everything although windows formatted an encrypted disk.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

Actually did not quite understand what you meant, I sent you a PM mate!

Hey How are you guys? Yes I received my EXP GDC V6 just minutes ago but my HDD crashed, got dang bad timing!

Anyone know how to fix a cyclic redundancy error? I am now using an enclosure and wanting to recover windows 8.1 without data loss (sounds like a fantasy) Any good and trusted recovery software you guys can recommend?

testdisk is a recover program. I could recover 80% of my pictures from a RAW partitioned sd card (which was fat32 before)

testdisk is a recover program. I could recover 80% of my pictures from a RAW partitioned sd card (which was fat32 before)

Yep I already recovered all my data through this app "getbackdata" from NTFS, thank god that app worked without fiddling with command prompts and whatnot just to retrieve data. Too bad last night I had to RMA my lappy and CS Rep told it will take 2 weeks to a month depending on what was damaged in my laptop (I suspect MB or HDD fried on me). So I could not do a review on the EXP GDC V6 until my laptop will be returned so bear with me guys, I will most probably post images of my EXP GDC Package that I had received yesterday using a proper camera so that will be up soon! =)

I've just come across this enclosure on yoybuy.com.

TB1.QRRGXXXXXbbXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

EXP GDC external video card metal chassis 29CM Item

I think it's a new item because I haven't seen it before, the stock is exactly 300 and noone's ordered one yet. It looks really nice, in fact better (and cheaper) than the modded Hammond chassis I was planning on building. Ordering one now :)

I've just come across this enclosure on yoybuy.com.

TB1.QRRGXXXXXbbXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

EXP GDC external video card metal chassis 29CM Item

I think it's a new item because I haven't seen it before, the stock is exactly 300 and noone's ordered one yet. It looks really nice, in fact better (and cheaper) than the modded Hammond chassis I was planning on building. Ordering one now :)

Ah jeez! I could have ordered this along too, oh well now its 299 (quantity) your the first one to order it!

Please post some images of the enclosure once it arrives to you alright buddy?